Pinnacle Studio 9 with MovieBoxDV

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.video.dvd (More info?)

I want to burn my VHS home movies to DVD.

As a first step, yesterday, I purchased, from Fryes, a reconditioned:
Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV (Movie Box DV hardware & Studio 9 software
for $245 US dollars + California sales tax of 8.25%.

a) I correctly wired the 3 VHS VCR RCA outputs to the Pinnacle MovieBoxDV
white-red-yellow composite analog video input port; and I correctly
wired the Pinnacle MovieBox DV output 6-pin-to-4-pin firewire to the
WinXP laptop's firewire input port.
b) I inserted a VHS home video tape & pressed the PLAY button on the VCR
(having tested with a TV that the VCR was outputting the desired movie).
c) Windowx XP automatically started Pinnacle Studio version 9 on my
IBM A31p laptop when I plugged in the 4-pin firewire connection.

Yet, after three hours of testing & reading the manual, absolutely
nothing shows in the Pinnacle Studio version 9 preview pane!

Despite the frustrating error message (see below):
- "Setup->Capture Source" is set to "Capture devices":
Video = MovieBox DV Analog
Audio = MovieBox DV Analog
TV Standard = NTSC
Aspect Ratio = 4.3
Drive C Read Data Rate = 13049 Kbyte/sec
Drive C Write Data Rate = 10935 Kbyte/sec
Capture Format = MPEG preset @ High quality (DVD)

Still I get the (contrarian) frustratingly insipid error message below,
despite the fact I've repeatedly checked all connections, set the
"Diskometer" to "Composite" and "S-Video" back & forth numerous times
(leaving it on "Composite" where it belongs for copying VHS tape to disk).

Still, I get the production stopping Pinnacle Studio version 9 error:

Capture Device Initialization Error:
Pinnacle Studio is trying to initialuze a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder
via a 1394 port.

If you are trying to capture analog video:
1. Click on Setup->Capture Source and select the correct video capture device.
2. Open the left hand panel on the Diskometer (capture controller.) and set
the correctd analog video input port (Composite or S-Video).

If you are trying to capture from a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder:
1. Make sure our camcorder is turned on, is in VTR/VCR/Play mode, and is
connected to the 1394 port on the computer.

Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device on the
firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied with the software)?

Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock by
obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site & entering
it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.

Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's busted (I have
only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know if there's a restocking
fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.

Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS to the
laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle MovieBox DV unit?
Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating problem before?

Orak Listalavostok

oraklistal@yahoo.com (Orak Listalavostok) wrote in

> [...]
> and is
> connected to the 1394 port on the computer.
>
> Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device
> on the firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied
> with the software)?
>
> Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock
> by obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site &
> entering it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.
>
> Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's
> busted (I have only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know
> if there's a restocking fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.
>
> Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS
> to the laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle
> MovieBox DV unit? Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating

Are you sure Fry's reconditioned it, or did they just stick the
little label onto the box?

I'm also guessing here that there may still be a setting well-hidden
somewhere in the Pinnacle software about controlling/not controlling
the camcorder. Since you're not using a camcorder, you would want
that off.

You could also try downloading the demo version of Scenalyzer Live,
to see if the problem is in the Pinnacle capture S/W. ScLive is
robust, turning off camcorder control is really easy in it, and it's
fairly cheap if you decide to get it (like around $35). There are
also other capture programs, even some free ones, I think.

Good luck,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

Susan

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.video.dvd (More info?)

Orak,

I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.

If this is the case, you have almost everything set up wrong.

First, read the manual and follow the diagrams on how to set up your
hardware and then Studio 9. You have the proper cables going from
your VCR to the Movie box, then the DV signal going to your computer.
If the Movie box is converting the VHS composite and audio signals to
DV, then your computer will see a DV "camcorder" attached to the
Firewire input. HOWEVER, it will be the equivalent of a
non-controllable DV device, such as a Digital 8 Camcorder, or any
other analog to DV converter.

THEREFORE, you must set Studio 9 to capture DV without device control.
Again, read the manual and it will tell you how to use the SETUP menus
and then switch to the Capture window. Since you will not have device
control, you will have to start and stop your VCR by hand. Cue your
tape to a few seconds BEFORE where you want to capture, so that you
have a signal coming into your computer/Studio, then click Start
Capture in Studio (You'll have to give your capture a name unless you
want it named Video 1, or whatever is the default in Studio 9, then
click OK and start capturing.

BUT AGAIN, it the Movie box is actually converting your signal to DV,
you will need to capture to DV and convert to MPG (if that is what
you want) unless you want to try and convert to MPG on the fly, which
is not recommended.

If you really want to capture in MPG, you should take the Movie box DV
back and get a hardware VHS to MPG converter, which will probably
connect to your computer through a USB1 (bad) or 2 (better) connector.

Finally, go to the Pinnacle Studio 9 webboard and seek additional
help, after you've read the manual.

Hope this helps,

Susan

PS, the "recommendation" from Fry's was that you give them money, not
that the Pinnacle was recommended.

oraklistal@yahoo.com (Orak Listalavostok) wrote:

>I want to burn my VHS home movies to DVD.
>
>As a first step, yesterday, I purchased, from Fryes, a reconditioned:
> Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV (Movie Box DV hardware & Studio 9 software
>for $245 US dollars + California sales tax of 8.25%.
>
>a) I correctly wired the 3 VHS VCR RCA outputs to the Pinnacle MovieBoxDV
> white-red-yellow composite analog video input port; and I correctly
> wired the Pinnacle MovieBox DV output 6-pin-to-4-pin firewire to the
> WinXP laptop's firewire input port.
>b) I inserted a VHS home video tape & pressed the PLAY button on the VCR
> (having tested with a TV that the VCR was outputting the desired movie).
>c) Windowx XP automatically started Pinnacle Studio version 9 on my
> IBM A31p laptop when I plugged in the 4-pin firewire connection.
>
>Yet, after three hours of testing & reading the manual, absolutely
>nothing shows in the Pinnacle Studio version 9 preview pane!
>
>Despite the frustrating error message (see below):
> - "Setup->Capture Source" is set to "Capture devices":
> Video = MovieBox DV Analog
> Audio = MovieBox DV Analog
> TV Standard = NTSC
> Aspect Ratio = 4.3
> Drive C Read Data Rate = 13049 Kbyte/sec
> Drive C Write Data Rate = 10935 Kbyte/sec
> Capture Format = MPEG preset @ High quality (DVD)

If the Movie box DV is a DV conversion device, your computer will see
it as a DV camcorder, and that is what Studio will have to see also.

>Still I get the (contrarian) frustratingly insipid error message below,
>despite the fact I've repeatedly checked all connections, set the
>"Diskometer" to "Composite" and "S-Video" back & forth numerous times
>(leaving it on "Composite" where it belongs for copying VHS tape to disk).

Again, you are NOT trying to capture analog VHS, you are trying to
capture a DV signal from the Movie box.

>Still, I get the production stopping Pinnacle Studio version 9 error:
>
> Capture Device Initialization Error:
> Pinnacle Studio is trying to initialuze a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder
> via a 1394 port.
>
> If you are trying to capture analog video:
> 1. Click on Setup->Capture Source and select the correct video capture device.
> 2. Open the left hand panel on the Diskometer (capture controller.) and set
> the correctd analog video input port (Composite or S-Video).
>
>If you are trying to capture from a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder:
> 1. Make sure our camcorder is turned on, is in VTR/VCR/Play mode, and is
> connected to the 1394 port on the computer.

Again, THIS is what you are trying to do.

"Susan" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Again, THIS is what you are trying to do.
> >
> >Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device on the
> >firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied with the
software)?

> >Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock by
> >obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site & entering
> >it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.
> >
> >Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's busted (I
have
> >only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know if there's a
restocking
> >fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.
> >
> >Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS to the
> >laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle MovieBox DV unit?
> >Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating problem before?

I thought that the DV version of the MovieBox is for playing Digital
Video, through
a camcorder attached to the moviebox device.If you're running tapes through
a VCR, you
need the version of Moviebox labeled USB.

I use a VCR attached to the Moviebox USB and I have no problems at all.

Adrian

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.video.dvd (More info?)

> > I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
> > it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.

I finally called a series of Pinnacle Systems' support sites, starting
with the one in Mountain View CA at 650-526-1600 and ending with a
support technician telling me to "return the MovieBox DV to Fryes"
(who apparently does NOT recondition these things at all).

Pinnacle didn't even care about the error message because the hardware
test failed. That is, when I wired the VHS player (even with the VHS
deck turned off) red/white/yellow wires into the input RCA jacks of
the 'Pinnacle MovieBox DV' unit & set the 'Select' button correctly,
the appropriate LED input indicators did not light. This, Pinnacle
support said, was a clear indication of a bad MovieBox DV unit.

Since it was my dime, I also asked if my Pinnacle Systems hardware
MovieBox DV converted analog composite video to digital avi or to
digital MPEG-2; they said NONE of their consumer units performed
hardware conversion to MPEG-2 - that is, they convert to avi & let
the Pinnacle Studio 9 software do the conversion of avi to mpeg 2.

This struck me as wierd. Anybody (with a digital DV camcorder) could
simply play any VHS tape out the RCA jacks into that existing camcorder
with the firewire inputs set to straight-through output to perform the
same task as I just paid 250 bucks for. No additional hardware needed!

So, my new (untried, but hopefully sound) recommendation is for me to
dispense altogether with the MovieBox DV analog-to-AVI & then the
software studio-9-to-MPEG2 approach, in favor of the following:
- Play any VHS tape out normal RCA composite analog jacks
- Connect that composite analog to an RCA-to-mini-phono cable
- Into any digital camcorder (e.g., JVC GR-DVL820U) "AV" jack
- With the camcorder AV phono output set to INPUT
(PowerOn->Manual->Menu->DSC->REC SELECT->to TAPE to M)
- Which then outputs a digital AVI signal (just like the MovieBox did)
- Into the camcorder firewire output port into a firewire cable
- Plugged into the laptop PC firewire input port
- With Pinnacle Systems' $99 Studios 9 running
- Which converts the digital camcorder avi signal to MPEG-2
- Which is saved to the hard disk in real time
- And then later burned to DVD out that same firewire port

Does this (as yet untested) camcorder approach seem like it will work?

Orak Listalavostok

On 13 Jun 2004 00:32:51 -0700, oraklistal@yahoo.com (Orak
Listalavostok) wrote:

>> > I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
>> > it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.
>
>I finally called a series of Pinnacle Systems' support sites, starting
>with the one in Mountain View CA at 650-526-1600 and ending with a
>support technician telling me to "return the MovieBox DV to Fryes"
>(who apparently does NOT recondition these things at all).
>
>Pinnacle didn't even care about the error message because the hardware
>test failed. That is, when I wired the VHS player (even with the VHS
>deck turned off) red/white/yellow wires into the input RCA jacks of
>the 'Pinnacle MovieBox DV' unit & set the 'Select' button correctly,
>the appropriate LED input indicators did not light. This, Pinnacle
>support said, was a clear indication of a bad MovieBox DV unit.
>
>Since it was my dime, I also asked if my Pinnacle Systems hardware
>MovieBox DV converted analog composite video to digital avi or to
>digital MPEG-2; they said NONE of their consumer units performed
>hardware conversion to MPEG-2 - that is, they convert to avi & let
>the Pinnacle Studio 9 software do the conversion of avi to mpeg 2.

The same applies to other analog to DV capture devices using
firewire. By emulating a camcorder, they greatly simplify the
requirements to capture video -- and DV camcorders play DV, nothing
else (as far as what goes on tape and over firewire).

>This struck me as wierd. Anybody (with a digital DV camcorder) could
>simply play any VHS tape out the RCA jacks into that existing camcorder
>with the firewire inputs set to straight-through output to perform the
>same task as I just paid 250 bucks for. No additional hardware needed!

Not if they had a camcorder which didn't pass through analog video,
which is pretty common in EU and not uncommon on some models
elsewhere.

The other thing is to let you hoop up your analog VCR without
needing a digital camcorder, especially useful if you want to convert
a lot of VHS or other analog material without tying up the camcorder.

But such devices aren't necessary if you have a DV camcorder with
analog ins, and don't mind using it that way.

The only other thing is that some non-DV output devices *do* capture
directly to mpeg2 (using hardware capture chips), or can capture to
higher data rates/lower compression than DV. But to do that, the
device has to provide its own capture software, because while DV
devices are strongly standardized, and the OS supports capture from
them easily, the others are essentially proprietary to the maker,
using the maker's drivers and hardware to do the task. AFAIK, the
MovieBoxDV is DV only, same with the similar Canopus product.

>So, my new (untried, but hopefully sound) recommendation is for me to
>dispense altogether with the MovieBox DV analog-to-AVI & then the
>software studio-9-to-MPEG2 approach, in favor of the following:
> - Play any VHS tape out normal RCA composite analog jacks
> - Connect that composite analog to an RCA-to-mini-phono cable
> - Into any digital camcorder (e.g., JVC GR-DVL820U) "AV" jack
> - With the camcorder AV phono output set to INPUT
> (PowerOn->Manual->Menu->DSC->REC SELECT->to TAPE to M)
> - Which then outputs a digital AVI signal (just like the MovieBox did)
> - Into the camcorder firewire output port into a firewire cable
> - Plugged into the laptop PC firewire input port
> - With Pinnacle Systems' $99 Studios 9 running
> - Which converts the digital camcorder avi signal to MPEG-2
> - Which is saved to the hard disk in real time
> - And then later burned to DVD out that same firewire port
>
>Does this (as yet untested) camcorder approach seem like it will work?

That should all work just fine.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

In article <44d113e9.0406122332.18a8bd54@posting.google.com>, oraklistal@yahoo.com (Orak Listalavostok) wrote:
>> > I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
>> > it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.
>
>I finally called a series of Pinnacle Systems' support sites, starting
>with the one in Mountain View CA at 650-526-1600 and ending with a
>support technician telling me to "return the MovieBox DV to Fryes"
>(who apparently does NOT recondition these things at all).
>
>Pinnacle didn't even care about the error message because the hardware
>test failed. That is, when I wired the VHS player (even with the VHS
>deck turned off) red/white/yellow wires into the input RCA jacks of
>the 'Pinnacle MovieBox DV' unit & set the 'Select' button correctly,
>the appropriate LED input indicators did not light. This, Pinnacle
>support said, was a clear indication of a bad MovieBox DV unit.
>
>Since it was my dime, I also asked if my Pinnacle Systems hardware
>MovieBox DV converted analog composite video to digital avi or to
>digital MPEG-2; they said NONE of their consumer units performed
>hardware conversion to MPEG-2 - that is, they convert to avi & let
>the Pinnacle Studio 9 software do the conversion of avi to mpeg 2.
>
>This struck me as wierd. Anybody (with a digital DV camcorder) could
>simply play any VHS tape out the RCA jacks into that existing camcorder
>with the firewire inputs set to straight-through output to perform the
>same task as I just paid 250 bucks for. No additional hardware needed!

That is not true, not ALL camcorders have a passthru or ANALOG to DV
conversion capability built in. Some even require you to record from the VHS
to a DV tape in the camcorder first then do the transfer.

Some people also dont want to hook up and use an expensive camcorder as a
conversion box.

Also going the analog straight to MPEG2 doesnt get the best results if you
plan on doing any editing. mpeg is already compressed and the results are
poor.

>So, my new (untried, but hopefully sound) recommendation is for me to
>dispense altogether with the MovieBox DV analog-to-AVI & then the
>software studio-9-to-MPEG2 approach, in favor of the following:
> - Play any VHS tape out normal RCA composite analog jacks
> - Connect that composite analog to an RCA-to-mini-phono cable
> - Into any digital camcorder (e.g., JVC GR-DVL820U) "AV" jack
> - With the camcorder AV phono output set to INPUT
> (PowerOn->Manual->Menu->DSC->REC SELECT->to TAPE to M)
> - Which then outputs a digital AVI signal (just like the MovieBox did)
> - Into the camcorder firewire output port into a firewire cable
> - Plugged into the laptop PC firewire input port
> - With Pinnacle Systems' $99 Studios 9 running
> - Which converts the digital camcorder avi signal to MPEG-2
> - Which is saved to the hard disk in real time
> - And then later burned to DVD out that same firewire port
>
>Does this (as yet untested) camcorder approach seem like it will work?
>
>Orak Listalavostok

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.production,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

> >So, my new (untried, but hopefully sound) recommendation is for me to
> >dispense altogether with the MovieBox DV analog-to-AVI & then the
> >software studio-9-to-MPEG2 approach, in favor of the following:
> > - Play any VHS tape out normal RCA composite analog jacks
> > - Connect that composite analog to an RCA-to-mini-phono cable
> > - Into any digital camcorder (e.g., JVC GR-DVL820U) "AV" jack
> > - With the camcorder AV phono output set to INPUT
> > (PowerOn->Manual->Menu->DSC->REC SELECT->to TAPE to M)
> > - Which then outputs a digital AVI signal (just like the MovieBox did)
> > - Into the camcorder firewire output port into a firewire cable
> > - Plugged into the laptop PC firewire input port
> > - With Pinnacle Systems' $99 Studios 9 running
> > - Which converts the digital camcorder avi signal to MPEG-2
> > - Which is saved to the hard disk in real time
> > - And then later burned to DVD out that same firewire port

In testing the above approach (which replaces the Pinnacle Studios
MovieBox DV with a basic digital camcorder) I found a fatal flaw in
the suggested camcorder settings above. The settings above are wrong!

The correct settings (for a JVC GR-DVL820U camcorder anyway) are:
- Turn the camcorder dial to "Play" (not to "Manual")
- Swing open the LCD window (you should see a blank blue screen)
- Depress the "Menu/Bright" dial once (do not spin the dial)
- You should now see the following displayed on the LCD
VIDEO
SYSTEM
DISPLAY
END
- Spin the "Menu/Bright" dial to select the "VIDEO" menu
- To the right of the "VIDEO" menu, you now should see the items
VIDEO SOUND MODE
12BIT MODE
SYNCHRO
REC MODE
TAPE->MEMORYCARD COPY
S/AV INPUT
- Depress the "Menu/Bright" dial, you should now see the items
SOUND MODE = STEREO
12BIT MODE = SOUND 1
SYNCHRO = +- 0.0
REC MODE = SP
TAPE->MEMORYCARD COPY = ON
S/AV INPUT = OFF
RETURN
- Spin the "Menu/Bright" dial to select
S/AV INPUT = OFF
- Depress the "Menu/Bright" dial so you only see the one item
S/AV INPUT = OFF
= ON
- Spin the "Menu/Bright" dial to select:
S/AV INPUT = ON
- Depress the "Menu/Bright" dial to effect the setting
- This returns you to the items
SOUND MODE = STEREO
12BIT MODE = SOUND 1
SYNCHRO = +- 0.0
REC MODE = SP
TAPE->MEMORYCARD COPY = ON
S/AV INPUT = ON
RETURN
- Spin the "Menu/Bright" dial to select the "RETURN" item
- This returns you to the items
VIDEO
SYSTEM
DISPLAY
END
- Spin the "Menu/Bright" dial to select the "END" item
- Depress the "Menu/Bright" dial to effect the setting
- Your JVC Camcorder LCD display goes back to blue-screen normal.

This procedure will apparently affect the following camcorder ports
(please correct me if I make any mistakes below 'cause I'm guessing)
o The "AV" mini-rca bi-directional port is now an INPUT (I think)
o I'm not sure what happens to the "EDIT" mini-rca port (pray tell)
-----
o The "S-VIDEO" DIN bi-directional port is now an INPUT (I think)
o The "DV" mini-firewire port is still an OUTPUT (I think)
o The "USB" mini-usb port is still an OUTPUT (I think)

If my guess is correct above, then the two cables I need are:
- 3 RCA jacks to 1 mini-rca connector
- DV firewire to DV firewire connector

The assumption is the setup is as follows:
- The VHS tape plays in the VCR unit out the 3 RCA LINEOUT jacks
- That analog signal enters the camcorder via the "AV" input jack
- Note: Make sure the camcorder is set to "S/AV INPUT = ON"
-----
- The AVI digital output signal goes out the "DV" mini-firewire port
- Which goes into the laptop PC mini-firewire input
- Hopefully, Pinnacle Studios 9 (or maybe Ulead Video Studio SE 4.0)
will then help save that digital AVI signal to the hard disk
-----
- Then, if edits are necessary, Pinnacle Studio 9 or Ulead VideoStudio
can be used to edit the AVI file (I now realize nobody edits MPEG-2)
- Once the edits are performed (if any), then Pinnacle Studio 9 or
Ulead Video Studio 4.0 (I think) can be used to convert the huge
AVI file to the much-compressed MPEG-2 on disk.
- Then any DVD burning software (Sonic 6.0 perhaps) can be used to
burn the resulting MPEG-2 file to a DVD disc.
-----

What do the experts think?
Does this latest approach look like it will finally work?

Orak Listalavostok

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.production,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Should do!
You'll need to be careful over the av-in lead, did one come with the
camcorder? Hopefully yes, otherwise you'll need the manufacturers one as the
poles tend to be wired differently in different cams, assuming you have a
miniJack av-in port,.
If you don't have any of the studio software yet, you could use windows
capture and then MM to edit.
Don't use s-video unless you have a s-video vcr.
Could use the dvd authoring software to do the mpeg2 conversion as well.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message news:<uOEUgbHVEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Could use the dvd authoring software to do the mpeg2 conversion as well.

I'm getting closer by the day; but I still have some 'issues'
(like how to burn 8 Gbytes of MPEG-2 to a DVD with Studio 9.1).

Here's where I'm currently stuck:

I successfully played my store-bought 2 hour 35 minute VHS "Gladiator"
original from the VHS output into the JVC miniDV camcorder and out
the JVC digital camcorder firewire into the IBM A31p firewire using
Pinnacle Studio 9.1 (with MPEG encoding enabled) to save the resultant
AVI file (30,719,448 KB) onto the laptop WinXP NTFS second hard disk.

The first try, half way through capturing of the movie, the WinXP IBM
ThinkPad crashed; the second attempt, just minutes from the end of the
movie, MPEG-2 rendering of the AVI began without me doing anything!
It (Studio 9.1) automatically created (seemingly on it own agenda)
a 7 Gbyte MPG file; then it (Studio 9.1) removed the 30 Gbyte AVI file!

All that AVI data (30 gigs worth) was lost in an instant.

I fussed with Studio 9.1 settings (realizing my original error in
allowing MPG as the final output) and then 'captured' a smaller
AVI of just the last few scenes of Gladiator, creating a 3 GB ending
AVI (3,128,824 KB) of the last few scenes until the credits completed.

I now had (only) a 7 GB MPG plus a 3 GB AVI of the Gladiator archive.

Using the Pinnacle Studio 9.1 "Edit" GUI, I pasted together the first
7 GB MPG plus the final scenes' 3 GB AVI and then re-rendered (if
that's what it's called) to a single MPG2 (again).

The result (which took forever) was an 8 GByte MPEG2 file.

QUESTIONS:
My first question concerns the mixing of the MPG & AVI file.
Did I have to re-render the WHOLE THING to MPEG-2 (which took forever)?
Could I have just rendered the much smaller last few scenes' AVI to
MPG 2 and then simply COMBINED the two MPG files (large + tiny)?

How?

My second question revolves around how to burn this final 8 Gbyte
MPEG-2 file to a normal DVD (about 4 1/2 gigabytes). Studio 9.1 says
the file is too large to burn to DVD. Is there a way to tell it
(Studio-9.1) to squish (compress) the MPG-2 file by 50%?

I have Sonic RecordNow version 6.7.0 (which, I think, squishes to fit
on DVD), but don't I need Studio-9.1 to first put the MPG2 file into
a DVD 'image' before using Sonic RecordNow to burn to DVD?

If you understand my newbie VHS-to-DVD dilemma, please advise.
If you need clarifying information of the stumbling block, please ask.

> "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in
message news:<uOEUgbHVEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> > Could use the dvd authoring software to do the mpeg2 conversion as well.
>
> I'm getting closer by the day; but I still have some 'issues'
> (like how to burn 8 Gbytes of MPEG-2 to a DVD with Studio 9.1).

Wait til dual layer discs arrive and buy a dual layer burner and a dvd
authoring app that supports it.

> Here's where I'm currently stuck:
>
> I successfully played my store-bought 2 hour 35 minute VHS "Gladiator"
> original from the VHS output into the JVC miniDV camcorder and out
> the JVC digital camcorder firewire into the IBM A31p firewire using
> Pinnacle Studio 9.1 (with MPEG encoding enabled) to save the resultant
> AVI file (30,719,448 KB) onto the laptop WinXP NTFS second hard disk.
>
> The first try, half way through capturing of the movie, the WinXP IBM
> ThinkPad crashed; the second attempt, just minutes from the end of the
> movie, MPEG-2 rendering of the AVI began without me doing anything!
> It (Studio 9.1) automatically created (seemingly on it own agenda)
> a 7 Gbyte MPG file; then it (Studio 9.1) removed the 30 Gbyte AVI file!
>
> All that AVI data (30 gigs worth) was lost in an instant.
>
> I fussed with Studio 9.1 settings (realizing my original error in
> allowing MPG as the final output) and then 'captured' a smaller
> AVI of just the last few scenes of Gladiator, creating a 3 GB ending
> AVI (3,128,824 KB) of the last few scenes until the credits completed.
>
> I now had (only) a 7 GB MPG plus a 3 GB AVI of the Gladiator archive.
>
> Using the Pinnacle Studio 9.1 "Edit" GUI, I pasted together the first
> 7 GB MPG plus the final scenes' 3 GB AVI and then re-rendered (if
> that's what it's called) to a single MPG2 (again).
>
> The result (which took forever) was an 8 GByte MPEG2 file.
>
> QUESTIONS:
> My first question concerns the mixing of the MPG & AVI file.
> Did I have to re-render the WHOLE THING to MPEG-2 (which took forever)?
I believe so with studio.
> Could I have just rendered the much smaller last few scenes' AVI to
> MPG 2 and then simply COMBINED the two MPG files (large + tiny)?
I think that it would still have wanted to render, as you would have a join.

> How?
>
> My second question revolves around how to burn this final 8 Gbyte
> MPEG-2 file to a normal DVD (about 4 1/2 gigabytes). Studio 9.1 says
> the file is too large to burn to DVD. Is there a way to tell it
> (Studio-9.1) to squish (compress) the MPG-2 file by 50%?
Don't think it can, but I may be wrong, do you have any quality or time
based options? As in pick low quality and it will fit on 2 1/2 hours?

> I have Sonic RecordNow version 6.7.0 (which, I think, squishes to fit
> on DVD), but don't I need Studio-9.1 to first put the MPG2 file into
> a DVD 'image' before using Sonic RecordNow to burn to DVD?
I would have thought It should take a std dvd mpeg2 file, if not you'll have
to get a dv-avi file and take it in.

> If you understand my newbie VHS-to-DVD dilemma, please advise.
> If you need clarifying information of the stumbling block, please ask.
>
> Orak Listalavostok

Doing all this will reault in quite a poor quality movie to watch, probably
worse than the vhs. It will never get better than vhs as this was how it
started. You have compressed to mpeg2, compression will result in lower
quality. You then compress heavily to fit on one disc, much poorer quality.
Personally I'd watch the vhs!!

Graham

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.production,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

> > I'm getting closer by the day; but I still have some 'issues'
> > (like how to burn 8 Gbytes of MPEG-2 to a DVD with Studio 9.1).
>
> Wait til dual layer discs arrive and buy a dual layer burner and a dvd
> authoring app that supports it.

I'm surprised if Pinnacle Systems Studio 9 doesn't convert the MP2 to DVD.
But, you're the expert, not me. Can someone doublecheck this supposition?

Another idea is to find a program on http://www.doom9.org that converts
MP2 files to DVD format on your hard disk so you can burn the resultant
DVD image AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories to the top-level of the DVD.

I think SmartRipper, version 2.41 can convert MP2 to DVD.
I'm not sure, but, DVDShrink 3.1.7 should compress DVD images.

Both freeware programs should have pointers on the doom9 site.

Terena

terenachang@yahoo.com (Terena Chang) wrote in message news:<38f6d1b1.0406220241.49d0e50a@posting.google.com>...
> Another idea is to find a program on http://www.doom9.org that converts
> MP2 files to DVD format on your hard disk so you can burn the resultant
> DVD image AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories to the top-level of the DVD.

I just asked a friend who converts home movies to DVD for a living.
He said you're stuck. He doesn't know of any program out there for
amateurs that can convert any MP2 file (of any size) to DVD format.
He's been asking Pinnacle Systems for years to do it for Studio.

Instead of Pinnacle Systems Studio 9, he uses a $600 dollar
professional capture/edit/shrink/burn program which can shrink
the MP2 file down to less than 4.7 GBytes but even if you had that
he told me to tell you there isn't any program out there for laymen
to convert the 4.7 GByte MP2 file that results to DVD format.

I think he called it "DVD.iso" if I remember correctly.

Anyway, he said to let you know your best bet is to find a commercial
operation that professionally converts home movies to DVD discs.
It's not safe to do it yourself according to my good friend.
If you send me email, I can forward his email & phone contact
information. Bear in mind, I'm just passing this along. I don't
know for a fact whether this information is 100% correct or not.

Bo-bo

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <8e505c87.0406222245.58c51dec@posting.google.com>, bob_bonda@yahoo.com (Robert A. Bonda) wrote:
>terenachang@yahoo.com (Terena Chang) wrote in message
>> Another idea is to find a program on http://www.doom9.org that converts
>> MP2 files to DVD format on your hard disk so you can burn the resultant
>> DVD image AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories to the top-level of the DVD.
>
>I just asked a friend who converts home movies to DVD for a living.
>He said you're stuck. He doesn't know of any program out there for
>amateurs that can convert any MP2 file (of any size) to DVD format.
>He's been asking Pinnacle Systems for years to do it for Studio.
>
>Instead of Pinnacle Systems Studio 9, he uses a $600 dollar
>professional capture/edit/shrink/burn program which can shrink
>the MP2 file down to less than 4.7 GBytes but even if you had that
>he told me to tell you there isn't any program out there for laymen
>to convert the 4.7 GByte MP2 file that results to DVD format.

Bullshit, run it thru TMPGenc

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:34:11 GMT, glenzabr@xmission.com (GMAN) wrote:

>In article <8e505c87.0406222245.58c51dec@posting.google.com>, bob_bonda@yahoo.com (Robert A. Bonda) wrote:
>>terenachang@yahoo.com (Terena Chang) wrote in message
>>> Another idea is to find a program on http://www.doom9.org that converts
>>> MP2 files to DVD format on your hard disk so you can burn the resultant
>>> DVD image AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories to the top-level of the DVD.
>>
>>I just asked a friend who converts home movies to DVD for a living.
>>He said you're stuck. He doesn't know of any program out there for
>>amateurs that can convert any MP2 file (of any size) to DVD format.
>>He's been asking Pinnacle Systems for years to do it for Studio.
>>
>>Instead of Pinnacle Systems Studio 9, he uses a $600 dollar
>>professional capture/edit/shrink/burn program which can shrink
>>the MP2 file down to less than 4.7 GBytes but even if you had that
>>he told me to tell you there isn't any program out there for laymen
>>to convert the 4.7 GByte MP2 file that results to DVD format.
>>

>Bullshit, run it thru TMPGenc

Right! there are all sorts of software solutions for converting from
one codec to another.
I have several low cost proggies that do just that.(DVD shrink comes
to mind for converting dual layer to single and allowing for
compression control.)
DR. Divx
Winmpg converter
DVD magic
Imgtool
DVD copy express

gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com> wrote in message news:<vq3ld0h6m7kc6136f5mrls9f4aob9v5pdl@4ax.com>...
> >Bullshit, run it thru TMPGenc
> >
> There are all sorts of software solutions for converting from
> one codec to another.
> (DVD shrink comes to mind for converting dual layer to single
> and allowing for compression control.)
> - DR. Divx
> - Winmpg converter
> - DVD magic
> - Imgtool
> - DVD copy express

I think I bit off more DVD than I could chew, for starters.

This happens to me a lot. I was haughty; I thought I could just
burn hours of composite analog video in my first sessions.
Well, my hypothesis was wrong. Burning large composite video
to DVD isn't as easy as I thought it could be. But I'll get it.

For starters, I boiled the initial problems down to a pipecleaner
testcase, i.e., to burn a minute of television to DVD as shown:
- Hook VCR RCA jacks to the MovieBox DV & set VCR lineout to "TV"
- Plug the MovieBox DV firewire output into the ThinkPad laptop
- Power on the VCR and Pinnacle Systems MovieBox DV unit
- Set the MovieBox DV inputs & outpus accordingly using "select"
- Start up Studio 9.1.2 & set the auxillary files folder
- Save the TV signal (as an avi) to disk using Studio 9 "capture"
- Edit the resultant AVI file using Studio 9 "edit" mode
- Save to DVD format (VIDEO_TS) using Studio 9 "make movie" mode
by pressing the Studio 9 "Disc: Create disc" button
- Wait for the two-pass "Make movie in progress" to complete
- There will be no indication Studio 9 is done other than the
"Create Disc" button goes from red back to green
- This created a "video_ts" dir in the Auxillary files location
- This 62.4 MB dir contained VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB and
others (which played for 52 seconds with Intervideo WinDVD 3.2)
- This "video_ts" directory easily burned to DVD using Sonic
RecordNow, version 6.7.0 & played on a home DVD player.

This test proved we don't need the MPEG-2 file at all.
So, my innocdnt questions about the need to squish MPEG-2 files
& then convert them to VIDEO_TS/*.VOB format appear to be
erroneous red herrings born out of my DVD-burning ignorance.

My new hypothesis is that "what works for small files, works
for larger files".

To test this new hypothesis, I will need to run this makeshift
Rube Goldberg TIVO system for a few hours to create a very
large (greater than 4.7 GB) VIDEO_TS/*.VOB DVD directory.

If Studio 9.1.2 then compresses that large VIDEO_TS DVD directory
as my hypothesis assumes, then others may successfully follow in
my (documented above) footsteps.

If Studio 9.1.2 doesn't automatically compress the VIDEO_TS DVD
directory to 4.7 GB, then my next attempt will be to see if
the suggested DVD Shrink 3.1, or Sonic MyDVD 5.2.1, or
TMPGEnc 2.521, etc. will compress the VIDEO_TS/*.VOB DVD files
down to the 4.7 GB single-layer DVD burning specification.

Does this sound like a workable plan (question to the experts)?

Orak Listalavostok

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.production,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

> To test this new hypothesis, I will need to run this makeshift
> Rube Goldberg TIVO system for a few hours to create a very
> large (greater than 4.7 GB) VIDEO_TS/*.VOB DVD directory.
>
> If Studio 9.1.2 then compresses that large VIDEO_TS DVD directory
> as my hypothesis assumes, then others may successfully follow in
> my (documented above) footsteps.

Thanks to your help (especially the tons of advice that users sent
to my email address) and a half-dozen experiments tweaking the
software, I was easily able to successfully overcome that last
hurdle of large amounts of data to be rendered to MPEG-2 and then
to be compiled to DVD VIDEO_TS/*.VOB format under 4.7 GB in size.

Using Pinnacle Studio 9.1.2, & having captured the data at full
resolution, simply setting the output resolution to its lowest
notch (of 3,000 Kbits/sec) still left 18 minutes of a 33 GB avi
test file off the 4.7 GB DVD disc (i.e., only 131 minutes of
captured video fit on a DVD disc at 3000 Kbits/sec resolution).

Obviously, something more than just resolution needed to be modified.
That key adjustment was simply to switch the Studio 9 DVD audio
encoding format from PCM audio, to MPEG audio. Voila!

How does this work?

Switching the encoding format for DVD audio from pulse code
modulation, i.e., linear digital audio, at 16 bits per sample
for two channels, at 48 (or 32 or 44.1) KHz, to MPEG reduces
the storage requirements greatly - I even had 35 minutes free
space on the DVD disc (150 minutes on disk at 40% quality).

Extrapolating and stepping up the resolution bit by bit, we
arrived at the optimal settings for fitting the 150 minutes of
captured video to a single disk to be 3750 Kbits/second resolution,
MPEG (vs PCM) audio encoding, & video filtering turned on.
This provided 150 minutes on disc, with only 14 seconds free.
By tweaking these settings, the quality rose from 40% to 46%.

Contraindications:
- DVD video quality at 3750 Kbits/second (i.e., 46%) is not stellar.
- Image sharpness is slightly reduced by the filter-video setting.
- MPEG audio is required on PAL and, in practice, widely supported
in NTSC video players; yet, it may not be universally supported.

In summary, simply tweaking the Kbits/second settings did NOT do
enough to fit a large (33 GByte, 150 minute) video to DVD; more
needed to be done. A log of the experiments performed to date will
be appended so that others may reproduce with the results shown.

Orak Listalavostok