News Pixel Art Gamers Rejoice: AMD Reportedly Also Working on Integer Scaling

Alex/AT

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Yeah, for some of static art. But there is also a whole bloody lot of old 320x200 to 640x480 games that start to look totally great in modern resolutions after applying xBRZ.

I pushed DOSBox xBRZ patch to DOSBox-X a good while ago, so you can try it and easily feel the difference yourself.

Of course I'm not implying you will or have to like it, it's just a matter of taste in the end :)

alextheblue

Distinguished
Edit: Niels, I just noticed you put FLT instead of FTL. Also, now I really want a sequel to that awesome game. grumble grumble mutter

Yeah, for some of static art. But there is also a whole bloody lot of old 320x200 to 640x480 games that start to look totally great in modern resolutions after applying xBRZ.

I pushed DOSBox xBRZ patch to DOSBox-X a good while ago, so you can try it and easily feel the difference yourself.

Of course I'm not implying you will or have to like it, it's just a matter of taste in the end :)
I like these types of filters for some games but usually disable them, especially for games with a very intentionally gritty look. Sometimes a decent looking fake scanline filter is a good addition too, regardless of whether you smooth or not. As you said it's just personal preference. With that being said, I don't think they're going to accelerate them any time soon. For one thing that's up to the filter plugin author to implement via shader code. I can't see it really being necessary though, I mean a multithreaded xBRZ shouldn't be THAT heavy.

That aside, integer scaling is a great option for people that want pixel-perfect scaling in full screen, for cases where the underlying software can't scale internally above a certain point. Wonder if it will support black bars for scaling old-school aspect ratios? I much prefer that over stretching, myself, even for old TV shows.