Pixel Qi Promises Better Than iPad (3rd Gen) Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
1 watt is impressive. That would be really nice to have the sharpness/clarity that high ppi screens dish out. It be more impressive if they are able to match the impressive color gamut that the Samsung manufactured screen produces also. We will see if they can back up their own promises.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]MajinCry[/nom]Did anyone else notice something...Off? "Full 100X power reduction..."Marketing BS as usual.[/citation]
Yeah. If it's something like 80 they'll round it up to 100, because come on, who's gonna measure it? It'd still be pretty noticeable, though.

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]MajinCry[/nom]Did anyone else notice something...Off? "Full 100X power reduction..."Marketing BS as usual.[/citation]Possibly not. They state they operate under 1 watt and the low power mode (presumably not the 1 watt mode) consumes 100x less than iPad3 at peak power, which is 8 watts or greater.

That puts it around 0.08 watts, or 0.1 of a watt, which is only a tenth of what they state is their full power requirement.

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]raringcoder[/nom]Possibly not. They state they operate under 1 watt and the low power mode (presumably not the 1 watt mode) consumes 100x less than iPad3 at peak power, which is 8 watts or greater.That puts it around 0.08 watts, or 0.1 of a watt, which is only a tenth of what they state is their full power requirement.[/citation]To put this into perspective, I'm assuming that low power mode is basically a blank screen with a "fast on" feature. My TV consumes 70 ish watts switched on and less than 1 watt on standby, that's 70x less power than itself when on.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]MajinCry[/nom]Did anyone else notice something...Off? "Full 100X power reduction..."Marketing BS as usual.[/citation]
It's marketing BS, but there is still truth to be had. They're comparing a low power mode to the iPad's full power mode. Not a very meaningful comparison (a lot like dynamic contrast ratios), but we can make it more meaningful by comparing to the iPad's lowest power mode instead.

Anybody know off hand what the new iPad's display draws at minimum?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008

As usual, reporters and writers can play with words but missed math class.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I warmly welcome this tech. When I look at the battery usage on my Android tablet, it says that around 80% of the battery usage is used by the display :/

Now imagine if you can drop the juice a display needs, that would almost directly increase the battery time.

joescalon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
This article doesn't say it, but a Pixel Qi's display has a low power mode that turns off the backlight and uses ambient light or sunlight to light up a grayscale screen. Much like e-ink but refreshes close to a normal LCD screen. Essentially, an LCD screen that can turn off its backlight to leave a black and white screen in the sun that's easy to see.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Apple could easily write an article that states how they were "shocked" that Pixel Qi's technology is not yet a reality. I'm sure they could quote an Apple exec stating that, "Our product is 100x more available than theirs."

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Is this that screen that uses gates at a width of the light that they want it to reflect so that foreground light can be used to brighten the display?

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Will believe when seen... it's easy to say you can match the iPad3 display (which is bleeding edge) at all sorts of things, it's something else entirely to actually do it.

Hell... it's still hard to come by PC displays with resolutions as high as the iPad3... and they cost more than the iPad3 just for the display.

I smell vaporware.

PixelQi's display so far was a demo mounted on a laptop, showing off their daylight readability. That would have been a winner, IF it made it on mainstream notebooks and readers, possibly even tablets. Haven't heard from them in a while, and now they come up with this. i will NOT hold my breath this time for this tech to become mainstream, but I will welcome it once it arrives.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
One of the reason for iPad 3 display power consumption is excellent gamut - the best in the industry. I want to see if Pixel Qi display can have the same color reproduction at the same angles.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Yea, that's really cool that they are releasing this wonderful display that can play better-then-blu-ray movies, and super life-like video games...
Yet, the processors and video processors that can back up these wonderful displays still appear to be missing though =(

arachnivore

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
From what I can tell from their demos, Pixel Qi's screens have awful color saturation. I doubt apple would be willing to compromise on that especially when the iPad already has decent battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.