Pixels Flickering Across Monitor after GPU upgrade

Sep 16, 2018
Hi guys,

I purchased an MSI Radeon RX 570 graphics card two days ago and was seemingly able to install it successfully. While its been a huge upgrade for the most part - I'm going crazy trying to figure out a frequent flickering of pixels (mainly white) going on from my display since the install. It does not seem to be located on any particular area of the monitor, but rather flickers pixels dynamically throughout, showing up especially on dark backgrounds when I'm streaming a video or playing games. Additionally, I had some black boxes appear across my display when I was playing games just a moment ago, and my FPS seems to be laggier after some driver fiddling. I'm pretty certain it seems to be a GPU problem rather than a monitor, as I've tried using a different monitor/display port and HDMI chord and the problem persists. Some other troubleshooting attempts I've gone through include:

-Clean reinstall of up-to-date graphics display drivers (Radeon 18.9.1), as well as a clean installing to older drivers

-Reseating the GPU in multiple PCI slots/checking it is firmly placed in

-Alternating monitors and chords, making sure they're firmly inserted

-Changing VGA chords from PSU

-Restoring Windows 10 (keeping files)

When I uninstall AMD drivers and the automatic windows basic display adapter driver kicks in, it seems to be working fine. Problem persists whenever I update driver. Not sure how significant that is, but thought my narrow the issue down!

Is there anything else I can try? Wouldn't consider myself too much of a computer wiz, so please lay any recommendations on me. Quite unsatisfying to look at as you might imagine, so any help would be amazing.

Other specs include:

Processor - AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s) PSU - EVGA 650 GQ

Cheers!

Solution

That is perfectly normal

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1648371/missing-pin-pin-connector.html

I would try to run the GPU on another system if you have one available or a friends PC perhaps before sending it back.
It's possibly a PSU issue that fails to deliver the required amount of power to the GPU or a defective GPU that should be returned/replaced. This is merely speculation since when it comes to PSU I never trusted EVGA I always go Seasonic/Corsair.

Sep 16, 2018

Is there anyway for me to narrow which is the issue? Both were ordered together from Amazon, so it'd help if I found out which/if both I have to send back.

Try doing the paperclip test with the PSU if it works fine then send the GPU back for replacement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buPMx9dw0LU

Sep 16, 2018
Hey mate, just completed the paperclip test and it seems to be reacting as expected. Does that eliminate the PSU as the culprit? Additionally, just wanted to double check that it is normal for the PSU's 24pin plugging into the MOBO to have one "tooth" that is empty of a pin. Believe so, just thought I'd confirm.

That is perfectly normal

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1648371/missing-pin-pin-connector.html

I would try to run the GPU on another system if you have one available or a friends PC perhaps before sending it back.

Solution
Jul 3, 2019
Hello guys. I updated my display driver to AMD Radeon and my screen started to flicker. When I rolled the driver back it wasn't flickering but the thing is the brightness can't be adjusted.