Pixelworks Launches SoC for Next-Gen LED, 3D Projectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Just take my money already.[/citation]
And make a 2538×1080 - 2.35:1 projector and take mine too.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"The evolution in illumination engines and light source technology is migrating from traditional lamp-based light sources to LED and laser technologies, which will enable a lower cost of ownership as well as more compact and portable designs."

Right...
But at what cost?

[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]"The evolution in illumination engines and light source technology is migrating from traditional lamp-based light sources to LED and laser technologies, which will enable a lower cost of ownership as well as more compact and portable designs."Right...But at what cost?[/citation]
They have a higher up-front cost, but then the lamps typically will never need to be replaced, or else only replaced once over the life of the projector. From what I have read (I have yet to play with one yet) they give off better image quality, use much less power, and the break-even point on cost for a 6hr day (like a classroom) is ~2-3 years after you figure in the costs of bulbs. And that is only considering the cost of bulbs and power... it is stupidly expensive to get a janitor to break out a ladder and change a lightbulb.

marcusgarvey

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I mean that is sexy but i'm really curious how they are going to argue that 3d is necessary as a features in a classroom setting. That is just going to increase mark-up. Besides enterprise I don't see how this is going to fly in the consumer market. It is going to be a high cost with a useless 3d features whereas your AAXA's Optomas and 3M's are going to market their mini projectors at a much more consumer friendly price. Let's hope Pixelworks doesnt fudge up the marketing

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Bit light on content/facts and not even a hint of the price range.Just wasted 60 seconds of my life :)[/citation]
IMO the only time you wasted was on your comment. Look now I wasted my time showing you, you're error.

draphius

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]That's where we need to go with projectors. Increase efficiency and decrease wasted heat.More efficiency improvements coming up:[/citation]
are just use 3 projectors and use em in landscape mode :) 3600x1920 would be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS