Question "PL1" in TS, does it correspond with FPS drops & stuttering ?

Aug 12, 2021
Laptop: MSI Katana GF76

Specs:
i7-12700H (2.70GHz)
RTX 3070 (Laptop GPU)
16 GB RAM
1TB of SSD storage

So i was playing Fortnite [capped at 120 fps even tho i have a 144 hz monitor, everything i've tried to run at 144 fps either makes my CPU insanely hot or it just doesn't do anything] (on all low settings with NVIDIA DLSS Performance on, still had this issue with it off) and seemingly at random, i would get frame rate drops down to like 78? idk how to describe it but it's very annoying visually. my CPU clock speed doesn't seem to run at it's full potential, i took a glance at my clock speed while gaming for a second and it was at 2.9GHz. why is this happening?

how do i attach a log file?

edit: any help to fix this issue would be appreciated. please save the "buy a better PC" etc etc, i'm planning on returning it if it keeps behaving like this. guess i was stupid for thinking this was a good PC despite it having beefy specs and being touted to be able to run AAA titles on good settings (or any games for that matter, i've had FPS issues on other games like Fallout Shelter)

Lutfij

Titan
Does your laptop have any BIOS versions pending update? As for your gaming issue,. does the issue only exist with Fortnite or other titles? Where did you source the games from? As for your gaming, might want to see if using DDU then manually installing your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, alleviates the issue. I'm assuming you're on Windows 10, if so, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.

Reactions: jaxx105
Aug 12, 2021
Does your laptop have any BIOS versions pending update? As for your gaming issue,. does the issue only exist with Fortnite or other titles? Where did you source the games from? As for your gaming, might want to see if using DDU then manually installing your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, alleviates the issue. I'm assuming you're on Windows 10, if so, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.

thanks for your response! so, i checked to see if i had a BIOS update, and it turns out i do. the current one i have is from January. there's an update that came out in June, but i don't have a flash drive to install the BIOS on. apparently it's not recommended to update BIOS if your system is "stable" because it can cause it to not boot up again??

anyway, the problem exists on almost every game i play, no matter the graphic settings. on Dead by Daylight, the performance is much better, but i do get micro-stutters/mini FPS drops. my CPU will be at a decent clock rate. the issue outlined in the original post happens on Fallout 76 as well (can't really try a lot of games right now; my internet is very slow). i downloaded all of my games from Steam, with the exception of Fortnite being from the EG store. verifying my files on Steam show no improvement in my issue.

would you like me to attach a log file from a game of Fortnite? i kept getting framerate issues all throughout, sometimes i'd be getting a stable 120 fps (but my CPU would jump to the high 90s sometimes, but it usually was hovering around mid 80s, not sure if it was thermal throttling or not. i was only seeing "PL1" in the logs) but then all of the sudden it'd drop, and when i checked my task manager in those moments, my clock speed was around 2.7-9 GHz.

EDIT: my Windows version is Windows 11 Home, v10.0.22000 Build 22000

Last edited:

Anuj jena

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2014
Laptop: MSI Katana GF76

Specs:
i7-12700H (2.70GHz)
RTX 3070 (Laptop GPU)
16 GB RAM
1TB of SSD storage

So i was playing Fortnite [capped at 120 fps even tho i have a 144 hz monitor, everything i've tried to run at 144 fps either makes my CPU insanely hot or it just doesn't do anything] (on all low settings with NVIDIA DLSS Performance on, still had this issue with it off) and seemingly at random, i would get frame rate drops down to like 78? idk how to describe it but it's very annoying visually. my CPU clock speed doesn't seem to run at it's full potential, i took a glance at my clock speed while gaming for a second and it was at 2.9GHz. why is this happening?

how do i attach a log file?

edit: any help to fix this issue would be appreciated. please save the "buy a better PC" etc etc, i'm planning on returning it if it keeps behaving like this. guess i was stupid for thinking this was a good PC despite it having beefy specs and being touted to be able to run AAA titles on good settings (or any games for that matter, i've had FPS issues on other games like Fallout Shelter)

Test this for me, before running any game charge the battery to 100% and then start playing the game.
Log the performance metrics using HWinfo and check the logs to see if you notice the FPS drop the moment the battery charge level goes down to 99% from 100%.