Question Placing laptop on top of the fans for cooling?

mpadhu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Hi,

I am planning to get some 120mm fans on top of which I can place my laptop. The fans are huge enough that it takes two or three fans to balance the laptop. Is this one of best cooling options?

The fan is shown in the image.
Fan image

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
Fans under the bottom of the laptop can help with cooling quite a bit, but for ease of use's sake, you could try one of these Laptop Cooling Stands. Other than that, replacing the thermal paste with paste of better quality helps thermals, too. You can do this yourself or send it to a shop that offers such services.

If your laptop has some vents/exhausts on its underside it may help, but from personal experience laptop cooling stands don't usually help that much(1-3C is the difference I've usually seen).

As the above post said, reapplying themal paste and cleaning the fans+radiators can make a much bigger difference.

I'm with others:
  1. it's a laptop, they run hot.
  2. keep fans/ heatsinks clean of dust.
  3. re-applying TIM may improve temps.
  4. You can undervolt your CPU using Intel's XTU software, which will improve temps.
  5. A laptop cooler generally doesn't make a huge difference compared to elevating the laptop off a desk surface so the fan(s) can breathe well.