Placing SSD into new computer

RandyM222

Honorable
Jan 17, 2016
Hello,

I am replacing my current computer with a new one which should be here tomorrow and I would like to know if I can simply just connect my SSD drive to the new computer. I only use it currently for data storage and one or two games, The OS is not installed on it. If this is possible, then do I just connect the drive and reboot for it to be recognized or are there other steps to take? Thank you

Randy

Solution
if your SSD is only used for data storage you just need to install it and Windows should recognise it.

However, if there are any games or other software installed on it, you will have to re-install them for them to be able to run on the new PC, as Windows on your new PC doesn't know anything about them yet. You have to re-install them in order for their support files and registry entries to be installed/created.
if your SSD is only used for data storage you just need to install it and Windows should recognise it.

However, if there are any games or other software installed on it, you will have to re-install them for them to be able to run on the new PC, as Windows on your new PC doesn't know anything about them yet. You have to re-install them in order for their support files and registry entries to be installed/created.

Solution