Planning on getting a new Gpu and need help.

Metalkeik

Reputable
May 17, 2016
So, I am planning in the next few days to get a Gpu. I am planning to get a Gtx 1060 6gb. Thing is I don't know if my Pc can handle it.

The Pc was pre-built as a workstation in 2013 and I was thinking of upgrading it now that i got my hands on it.

It has a 635watt PSU 80+G

CPU Intel xeon e5-1620 3.6GHz, I also have another i5 2310 2.9GHz I don't know which of the 2 should I put in there.

8gb of ram (2x4gb ddr3 Kingston red fury) from what I read on the user manual it supports up to 64gb of ram.

And the biggest problem I have so far is understanding if my motherboard has Pci express 3.0.

Since it was pre-built it has a Dell mb on it. But it doesn't seem all too bad. The primary pcie socket that had the Gpu on says "PCIe3x16 75W +EXT225W"

Also the PSU has a 6pin for the new Gpu.

So all in all, do you think this pc could handle a Gtx 1060 6gb?

If you need some info about the build I can post here, or some pictures to help me understand if there is a pcie 3.0.

CPU: Definitely the Xeon E5-1620. It should be a little faster than an i7-2600.

RAM: I don't know what it supports. If it supports Registered ECC Memory and you want to load it up get that. It is dirt cheap used. If it can't then just upgrade to 16GB at the most if for gaming. More if your needs warrant it. I'd just get used RAM in either case. Just remember you can't mix registered (buffered) with unregistered (unbuffered).

PSU: If it only has one 6 pin PCIe not a 6+2 or 8 pin PCIe you'll probably need a new PSU. You can probably get away with a 6 to 8 pin adapter for a GTX 1060. But the rule of thumb is. If your PSU does not have the right connectors or enough connectors for a card. Get a new PSU.

SSD: 500GB is pretty cheap now. Load times are drastically lower with an SSD.

Metalkeik

Reputable
May 17, 2016

Thank you for your answer.

The Gpu I have in mind is
Gigabyte GeForce GTX1060 6GB (GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD). From what I saw in pictures it needs a 6pin to get the extra wattage.

But let's set aside this case, what would you think about a Gtx 1050 or gtx 1050ti?

Depends on the 1060. Some are 6 pin some are 8 pin. You are likely perfectly fine running a 6 pin model.

Unless you are on a tight budget. I'd get at least a 1050 Ti. It's a decent enough card if you aren't obsessed with high settings on all games. But a 1060 is a big upgrade over a 1050 Ti. There is a big gap between these models.

Metalkeik

Reputable
May 17, 2016

Look, until now I was playing with a gt 730 gddr5 special edition. But with the new wow expansion I tried It and I am running a bit low on fps. I am not obsessed at all with graphics. I just want to run on medium low (like a 4 or 5 from scale 1 to 10).

Well in that case any of them will be a massive upgrade. Any of them should be fine.

Could you provide your Precision exact model?
That would help to verify your PSU capabilities, etc.