Question Planning on getting an i5-9600KF is it a good choice?

Dec 4, 2019
I'm planning on upgrading my CPU and motherboard, I really only use my computer for gaming and I was planning on getting an i5-9600KF with an MSI Z390-A PRO motherboard. Currently I have a GTX 1070 I'm assuming that's fine and there won't be any bottleneck. Also is there a major difference between the 9600KF and 9600K I think the KF doesn't have integrated graphics is that a big deal?

Lutfij

Titan
In order for us to fully gauge if you're making a sound move, you should list your specs to the system you currently have. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Including the age of the PSU(apart from it's make and model).

Where are you located, how much will you want to spend on your upgrade path and where would you like to purchase the parts from(preferred site for purchase)?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Whether the lack of an integrated GPU is a big deal comes down to your preference.

My home PCs are my work PCs, so in my situation, I like the security of having the integrated GPU. But your situation might be different. Imagine your GPU goes up in smoke six months from now and you have to wait ten days to get an RMA, send in your GPU, and wait for a new one. What consequences will you suffer as a result? That's the question that will tell you whether or not you ought to care about the lack of integrated graphics.

Dec 4, 2019
In order for us to fully gauge if you're making a sound move, you should list your specs to the system you currently have. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Including the age of the PSU(apart from it's make and model).

Where are you located, how much will you want to spend on your upgrade path and where would you like to purchase the parts from(preferred site for purchase)?

CPU: i5-6400 @ 2.70GHz
Motherboard: MSI B150M Mortar
Ram: 4 x 4GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz
SSD/HDD: 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 1 x Western Digital WD Green 1TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
PSU: Antec 520W High Current Gamer PSU (Got the power supply at the same time as the GPU so I believe I got it in 2016)
Chassis: Not sure about the case its very old from around 2010 and I've never looked at getting a new one

I'm located in Perth, Western Australia so I'm looking to buy from MSY, Austin Computers or PC Case Gear. I looked up that the i5-9600KF was the best budget CPU for gaming so I'm only looking to spend around $300 for that CPU and probably around another $150 or so for a new motherboard.

Dec 4, 2019
Whether the lack of an integrated GPU is a big deal comes down to your preference.

My home PCs are my work PCs, so in my situation, I like the security of having the integrated GPU. But your situation might be different. Imagine your GPU goes up in smoke six months from now and you have to wait ten days to get an RMA, send in your GPU, and wait for a new one. What consequences will you suffer as a result? That's the question that will tell you whether or not you ought to care about the lack of integrated graphics.

The only worry I had is that I have two monitors, one is connected to my GPU and the other to my motherboard does that mean it relies on the integrated graphics of the CPU I have now? However I can always buy another display port cable and connect that monitor to my GPU I think.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The only worry I had is that I have two monitors, one is connected to my GPU and the other to my motherboard does that mean it relies on the integrated graphics of the CPU I have now? However I can always buy another display port cable and connect that monitor to my GPU I think.

If it's connected to the motherboard, it's using the integrated graphics. But if you're just viewing stuff on the second monitor, it's no sweat at all for the GPU.

As the R5-2600 is down to $120-ish on sale about now in various online locations/retailers, it would indeed solve the somewhat 'thread challenged' situation the 9600K would be in right out of the gate...; naturally, if one can scrounge up the $185-$199 dollars for the R5-3600, it is a current 'must have' in sales, with gaming performance only slightly behind and sometimes equaling that of the 8700K....