Question Planning to buy a GTX 750 Ti, can it run on my Generic 700w PSU?

Sep 3, 2022
Like in the title i'm planning to buy a 750Ti, just making sure if my psu can take it since i heard the 750Ti doesn't need a 6 pin connector which only uses power from the motherboard.

Here's my specs

CPU - A8-6600k
Motherboard - a68hm-e33 v2
PSU - Electron 700w ATX Generic Power Supply
Ram - 2GB DDR3 1333mhz & 8GB DDR3 1333mhz

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
depends on the 750ti. As an example, the Asus 750ti OC requires a 6-pin, but the Asus STRIX 750ti will work without 6 pin connector. So be careful in choosing the 750ti that you're going to buy.

if you're going to get the kind that does not need a 6 pin, your generic psu should be enough.
_

well, a 750ti is acceptable for 720p gaming. But if you can afford it, I highly suggest saving up to get a 1050ti instead. The 4GB vram of the 1050ti will allow you to play more games comfortably. 1050ti also does not need a 6 pin connector. The pcie slot provides enough power to it.

_

EDIT: for safety, get a better psu first.

Last edited:
Could it run? Yes

Is it advisable? No, unless you know from which manufacturer is ur psu, but still, even good manufacturer produce low quality ones. so still, a No.

i remember i ignored what most ppl said, i used 1050 from 730 ddr5, and i got constant shut off. Turned out it is psu faulty after stressing prime95 for cpu which shutted down the pc maximum at 30 mins, same goes for furmark.

Better buy a good psu.

GTX750ti is one of my favorite old cards.
I think it is appropriate for your relatively weak A8-6600k processor.
Most such cards do not need aux 6 pin power.
So long as you buy one without the need for extra power you should be fine.

That said, for the future, do not buy cheap generic power supplies.
They can become expensive if they should fail under load and damage other parts. A cheap unit may have strange performance characteristics that are hard to diagnose.
A quality psu will have a 7 year warranty or more.

Reactions: Hellfire13

DSzymborski

Titan
Actually, I would not do this at all. This isn't just garbage by the standards of legitimate PSUs, it's garbage by the standards of garbage PSUs.

21192880_892572310900368_4919723618418451258_n.jpg

Yup, it's basically a 240W PSU. Maybe, if you believe they competently put together a 240W PSU. This is so horrifyingly incompetent that I wouldn't even trust adding a 75W GPU powered by the PCIE slot. I wouldn't leave the house with this on, in any computer.

Long time ago, power supplies delivered power mostly on the 5.5 and 3.5v rails where the then gen processors needed power.
Today, power is drawn mostly from +12v.
Your cpu may draw 100w, and the GTX750ti slot power may be 75w.
If you look at the data plate above, you can see that the max 12v amps is 20a.
Translated to watts, that is 20a x 12v or 240w
Nowhere near the 700w .
But, a power draw of 175w out of 240w may be ok if the psu is sound.

What to do??
You could abandon all thoughts of gaming.

Or, you could give it a try with not much to lose if the psu overloads and damages parts.
Since the psu has apparently been working ok up to now, there is some confidence.
For safety, do not leave it unattended.

What is your budget, and where might you shop?
Does your motherboard have a legacy bios(as compared to uefi)
Modern motherboards use uefi.
The issue is that some modern graphics cards like a 30w GT1030 will need a uefi bios to get detected.
The nvidia 700 series was the transition point between legacy and uefi.
Some cards could handle both, and some could not be detected on a legacy bios.

If you are buying a card, do so from a seller which can accept a return.

It might be a good idea to make plans for a new pc.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022
Actually, I would not do this at all. This isn't just garbage by the standards of legitimate PSUs, it's garbage by the standards of garbage PSUs.

21192880_892572310900368_4919723618418451258_n.jpg

Yup, it's basically a 240W PSU. Maybe, if you believe they competently put together a 240W PSU. This is so horrifyingly incompetent that I wouldn't even trust adding a 75W GPU powered by the PCIE slot. I wouldn't leave the house with this on, in any computer.
Oh if that's the case can a P650B 650 Watts PSU run the 750 Ti?

Sep 3, 2022
Long time ago, power supplies delivered power mostly on the 5.5 and 3.5v rails where the then gen processors needed power.
Today, power is drawn mostly from +12v.
Your cpu may draw 100w, and the GTX750ti slot power may be 75w.
If you look at the data plate above, you can see that the max 12v amps is 20a.
Translated to watts, that is 20a x 12v or 240w
Nowhere near the 700w .
But, a power draw of 175w out of 240w may be ok if the psu is sound.

What to do??
You could abandon all thoughts of gaming.

Or, you could give it a try with not much to lose if the psu overloads and damages parts.
Since the psu has apparently been working ok up to now, there is some confidence.
For safety, do not leave it unattended.

What is your budget, and where might you shop?
Does your motherboard have a legacy bios(as compared to uefi)
Modern motherboards use uefi.
The issue is that some modern graphics cards like a 30w GT1030 will need a uefi bios to get detected.
The nvidia 700 series was the transition point between legacy and uefi.
Some cards could handle both, and some could not be detected on a legacy bios.

If you are buying a card, do so from a seller which can accept a return.

It might be a good idea to make plans for a new pc.
I shop on EasyPC and i have the budget to buy a new PSU which is planning to going for Gigabyte P650B.

I don't think my bios has legacy, it uses UEFI

DSzymborski

Titan
I shop on EasyPC and i have the budget to buy a new PSU which is planning to going for Gigabyte P650B.

I don't think my bios has legacy, it uses UEFI

Not a good PSU, but OK enough for a 750 Ti and certainly better than the horror you're currently using. If you're planning more ambitious upgrades in the future, I would spend a little more for a PSU you won't have to replace for a second time.

An OK plan.

Your processor is weak and is not likely to be able to effectively run a card much stronger. 650w would be fine. 550w, for that matter would be ok.
I note that the Gigabyte P650B only carries a 3 year warranty.
If, at any future time you want to build a decent gaming pc, I would look at a psu purchase as a much longer term investment that can be carried forward.
Usually, there is not much price difference between 550w/650w/750w and even 850w for a particular psu model.
Look for a longer 7 year or greater warranty.