Play SimCity Offline? There's a Mod For That

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like maxis games, always have, with that said this game should be offline with the option to play multiplayer if you wish. But the game is running great now, and even though there were challanges getting in the game for the first couple of days, once in it runs flawless as far as performance goes. The free game they are giving to people that got in early is a very nice reward for the fans too, we get the email on the 18th to let us know what we can pick. =)

G

[citation][nom]timw03878[/nom]People need to stop complaining and just start boycotting.Don't buy the game. It's that simple.[/citation]
This. I am not giving a single cent to EA, Activision and Ubisoft as long as they keep running their business the way they do.

thecouchguy

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Yes, after the bf3 VoIP fiasco (other changes made to bf3 are taste I guess) and now this. No more EA for me. Also check out the greedy micro transactions on EA'S freemium real racer 3 on IOS. Also on bf3 the offline mode had a limit on it. I was in a situation with my PC where I was living in a house for 2 months without Internet. So I finally decided to give bf3 single player a crack finally. Well EA decided that's too long for me to go without Internet to play the game I payed for. I had to pack up my rig and drive it to an Internet connection JUST to log into Origen again so I could put it back into offline mode so i could play the crappy single player that i payed for. The greed list of EA is getting bigger. Until I see an about face, I'm boycotting these greedy hacks.

Jumbooo

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Quote: "But progress can only be saved on the Origin servers, so a connection will be required at some point."

Then that's why the city sizes are so small!! Otherwise big cities would probably create much bigger save files and that would create more congestion on the servers....

Damn you EA, we want bigger cities!

topupthescore

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Speaking specifically on my own, personally, as of this moment I will no longer buy EA products.

If the next big thing comes out and EA is funding it, too bad for me, not going to play it.

If Bethesda, one of my favorite developers, is bought by EA ... really too bad for me, I'll find something else to do.

It is done.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]kitsunestarwind[/nom]Pretty low when MAXIS and EA have to try and lie to save face about their crappy always online DRM[/citation]
You are surprised that EA is lying to its customers to justify providing a worse experience in an ill advised money grab? That is what's shocking here.

At this point, I'm surprised EA isn't sending people to the homes of former customers to rob them and cut out the middle step of putting out shit like this.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I think the larger issue is that the service itself (Origin) sucks. It wouldn't be so bad if the service was 100% available and scaled day 1 when this game was launched with zero interruptions. People would still complain I'm sure, but at least it would have been stable and steady. I liken this to Starcraft 2 (I can't compare this to Diablo 3 since that launch was pretty borked as well).

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Or, to add further, if Origin was more like Steam and allowed you to play in an "offline" mode but still have to log into their servers initially to play, that would be a much better compromise. Then again, EA doesn't know what that word is.

Kibarob

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
To the people saying they want the games to go down in price to $20 or $30, that is never going to happen from a big company on a major title. If you would say $40 or $50 then you would be in a higher standing of getting that price. Hell i barely remember a good NES or Genesis game that was under $40 at release.

The only way you would get a price like that (or something i would possabily be willing to pay $20 - $30 for) is a game that is dedicated on the server alone (total cloud computing) and nothing is kept on my end.

For the Prices we pay currently there should be a larger movement towards getting DRM and ToS looked into for all this robbery. I pay $60 for a product i own but tech. i don't own is a great grift operation.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]So a modder did what a team of developers couldn't....that's sad.EA is getting worse by the year.[/citation]

Not that they cant, but wont. Blame piracy but EA should have known its servers would have been melting. So blame management for this FUBAR.

qsf

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Not to mention EA buys up game development companies just to disband them, as the big publishers do...Just a long line of suckers (BF3 Premium? Still shocked THAT got people excited) and like any business, EA is happy to take your money and ignore you.

scubasteve526

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]So a modder did what a team of developers couldn't....that's sad.EA is getting worse by the year.[/citation]
EA isn't the developer... Maxis is. Please educate yourself before posting a comment.

Well as soon as there is a patch or hack that will allow complete offline play I will buy the game but not until the. I do not buy games for multiplayer and will not buy any game that requires it to be online. I am not going to spend that kind of money on a game that I may not be able to play a few years from now because there is no server online anymore to check if I can play a game I paid for.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I won't buy any Ubisoft games for that exact reason. It's a shame because I hear the Assassin's Creed games are really good and I'd like to try them but I refuse to do business with any company that arbitrarily screws it's paying customers in this manner. I live in the middle of nowhere and internet access is shoddy at best here. If EA continues down this path I won't be doing business with them either.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
The only PC games i would buy from ea post Origin-requirement are games that are primarily focused on online play to begin with i.e battlefield...

always online drm for singleplayer is fucking ridiculous,

The guys at 343i, better be looking at this as well, i would not tolerate them pulling another always-online spartan-ops in Halo 5

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I don't understand why you need to enable debug mode to play the game like this.
By this I mean even being able to roughly edit your city before you begin.
Unable to pre-terraform is ludicrously stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.