'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds' Hands On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx__

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Just a correction but DayZ was never considered a battle royale game, a survival game sure but a defining characteristic of a battle royale game is that it uses an ever shrinking zone to force everyone into a confrontation until only one is left as the winner. All previous games like H1Z1 (now king of the kill) and the Arma mod, not DayZ but another mod titled battle royale, used the same set up. That game play mechanic comes from the Japanese book and and movie that has the same thing in it which is also called battle royale, the concept was not originated by Battlegrounds.

Otherwise a great article that really tries to relate the tension of the game. One of the reasons battlegrounds has succeeded more than other games with the concept is that it blends far better game mechanics combined with short queue times and a dev that seems responsive and is moving in a good direction, something which previous efforts in the genre have never seemed to have.

Brian_250

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017
There's a couple of things wrong in this article.
1. Items do not only spawn indoors. Their are various ruins and camps where items spawn outside.
2. There is no poisonous gas in this game, it is more like an electric field that does the damage.

lahma

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
It would appear that as of lately, cheating has become a serious problem, and many players are of the opinion that the developers are not doing nearly enough to combat the problem (even suggesting that the developers are open to players modifying shaders and such, which can obviously be used to gain a significant advantage). I can't speak from personal experience, but I do know that seeing many of the reviews marked as "most helpful" complaining of cheating and/or pro-level cs-go players dominating the game definitely discourages someone from buying the game who just wants to have some fun. Sure, all reviews can't be believed, and some could just be players getting their butts handed to them who are bitter, but when the developers ban people outright from their forums for even talking about cheating problems, its not doing themselves any favors.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I can't say I've seen cheating, but with the above comment from Lahma, makes me wonder... Anyways, the thing that kills this for me is the single map. There are no other maps. And it's starting to wear on me.
I think a lot of the customer base will be lost soon if they don't release more maps.
Also, they need to fix the matching system. You can sometimes enter by yourself, trying to join the 4 person squad matches, there's sufficient people in the server, but you are only paired with 1 other person. So then the game all of a sudden becomes a 2 vs 4 match as everyone you come across has 3 others with them. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.