Question Playhead skips in timeline in Premiere Pro during playback - Playback itself is smooth

Jorge_acosta

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
System:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x stock
RTX 3070 (drivers up to date)
64GB DDR4 RAM
SATA SSD for Windows and software
NVME SSD for project files
Separate SSD for Adobe Premiere Scratch files

Sorry If I didn't go into deeper detail on my system but I am thinking that for this issue it shouldn't really matter. Please let me know if theres any other spec that might be relevant.

I am editing a project on Adobe Premiere Pro (latest version), I was working on it just fine as usual up until yesterday. Playback was good. And I was getting work done. But today I tried to continue working on it and now the playhead skips on the timeline while playback, The playback itself on the playback monitor is smooth, but the playhad skipping is making the precise editing part very annoying. Any ideas on why this might be and more importantly how to fix it?

The project is comprised of all Gopro HVEC 5k footage wich I have been working with in previous projects without issue.

The only thing that I can think of that changed from when I was working on this project yesterday to today is that I just got an Iphone so I installed the Icloud App for windows last night.

So far I have tried:

Restarting PC multiple times
Clearing ALL Adobe premiere cache files
Uninstalling and Reinstalling Adobe Premiere
Uninstalling ICLOUD Windows app
Confirming that Adobe premiere hardware accelarition is set to GPU Mercury CUDA
Reducing playback resolution to 1/2 and 1/4

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Add PSU information and disk drive(s) details;

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

You may be able to discover more about the skips: what happens or stops happening when there are skips.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance while editing and playing back.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

You will need to leave the tool window open so you can continually observe what the system is or is not doing.

May take a bit of trial and error for you to narrow things down.

And, as always, ensure that any important projects are backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the host system being used.

Another tool to use is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Look for any processes that are unknown or unexpected that pop up when playhead skips.

First work with the tools a bit to familarize yourself with them just by watching the OS and other apps.

Then go into Adobe Premier Pro and watch while it is running. Then open the project and watch again.

Take your time, no need to rush, watch carefully.

Do not jump to any conclusions.