Playing 4k on 1080p monitor

Zhanadil

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
I recently bought a new computer to play games and I noticed that usually games try to set them to 4k resolution, even though I have 1080p monitor, so I immediately started wondering if playing 4k at 1080p is better than 1080p on 1080p if your videocard is good enough or if there will be no visual difference at all.

Solution
some folks think it can sharpen the textures of things like grass, especially in the distance. Personally the difference is so small and high levels of AA at 1080P do a better job of this plus the fact 4K kills your frame rate more then the AA does. Your better off at 1080P running 4-8x AA or so.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
some folks think it can sharpen the textures of things like grass, especially in the distance. Personally the difference is so small and high levels of AA at 1080P do a better job of this plus the fact 4K kills your frame rate more then the AA does. Your better off at 1080P running 4-8x AA or so.

Solution

dei6360

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
This might be a personal opinion but I can tell a difference. Running 4k on a 1080p is exactly what made me decide to buy a 4k monitor. Yes the difference was minimal but it was enough to notice on the 1080p. I suggest anyone who is wondering if a 4k monitor for gaming is for them to try this. It will run games close to the same FPS as a 4k monitor so you will be able to see if 4k gaming works for you before spending the money on a new monitor

Zhanadil

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
So in Nvidia Geforce Experience CS:GO settings I found that it actually improves the quality. For some reason I couldn't upload the picture, but here is the quote: "The game will be rendered at a high resolution then scaled to your monitor's native resolution to enhance image quality."