Question Playing games on external SSD?

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Hi everyone, I have a new HP Victus laptop which has 500GB storage. I don't really game much, bar The Sims 4 and Flight Sim.

I have 204GB left on my drive and I don't think that's enough to install other games I may want to try or for updates to Flight Sim / add on DLC.

I don't want to install anything inside the laptop as a) don't know how to do that and b) it would void its warranty. I was wondering if I could install Flight Sim onto an external SSD or if this would slow it right down?

1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate (DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate (HP Sleep and Charge); 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate​
Those are the ports my laptop has available - I think they're 3.0?

Not sure what to do - I have 204GB free of 476GB which seems like a lot but I read an 80% - 20% rule somewhere?

Cheers

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
For a "500GB" SSD, don't fill it up past 400GB.

Will it work?
The main limiting factor is the USB connection.

Try it. See what happens.
If I got something the following would this work with my laptop? I think mine is only 3.0, is that right? Sorry, don't have very good knowledge haha.
Samsung T7 Portable SSD - 500 GB - USB 3.2 Gen.2 External SSD

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Will it work?
Yes.

Will the game performance be OK?
You can't know until you try it.

Ok thank you, I have bought it so will see what happens. If it doesn't work then I will make sure I always have 100GB left and if I start to go over that I will look at getting someone to install another storage drive inside the laptop as it has a free space. Cheers.