Question Playstation 2 - Best Model

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hey guys, my nephew recently mentioned how he'd like a PS2 for playing some older game.

I know there were a few versions made... and I think a PS3 that had a cip that allowed PS2 game play?

I don't own console systems so, only some basic knowledge of them. I'm good with electronics though so plan to dismantle and clean it and restore it for him but wondering...

Which model/version of PS2 is best? or.... better to get a PS3 with that chip? maybe mod? that way he can play PS2 and PS3 games.

And I guess, PS2 vs PS3 for finding decent controllers is a factor.

I would argue the best PS2 model if you just want a PS2 and don't care about modding is the SCPH-9000x Slim model. It has an internal PSU and doesn't run loud or hot.

Otherwise if you want modding or whatnot, you may have to consider the original "fat" model or a SCPH-7000x Slim model.

Well the best PS2 is a PC running pscx2.
If you want original hardware then yes, a PS3 with that chip is the best but it is also the oldest model and it will be extremely difficult to find one that isn't already dead from overheating, If you see a PS3 with 4 USB ports in the front and a trap door revealing card reader slots than that is a model with that chip.
If you are ok with softmodding any PS3 can play PS2 games through emulation.
I'm pushing the PS3 because of the hard drive since the games are getting expensive and you don't want to ruin the game discs, you can just rip them to the drive.

If you want to get a real PS2 get a fat model and look into mx4sio and an expansion slot sata convertor.

Reactions: THRobinson

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I like the idea of the PS3 with the chip. I know my nephew has a PS3 now, but not that one. Having a PS3 that plays PS1-3 games is less space taken up, plus can sell the other PS3 or keep as a backup.

That said... finding the PS3 and price may be tricky.

Forgot the PS2 needs memory cards. :S

CDRom drive wise, if the drive/laser is unreliable, can it be replaced maybe by dismantling a drive from a PC?

I like the idea of the PS3 with the chip. I know my nephew has a PS3 now, but not that one. Having a PS3 that plays PS1-3 games is less space taken up, plus can sell the other PS3 or keep as a backup.

That said... finding the PS3 and price may be tricky.

Forgot the PS2 needs memory cards. :S

CDRom drive wise, if the drive/laser is unreliable, can it be replaced maybe by dismantling a drive from a PC?
A problem with the first generation PS3 is something called the Yellow Light of Death. (https://retroconsoles.fandom.com/wiki/Yellow_Light_of_Death) Apparently it's caused by bad capacitors which it's fixable, but you need to find someone to repair it if you can't do it yourself. Also because of their demand and relative rarity, it may not be worth it if you can't wait out finding something to play PS2 games on.

And no, you can't use a PC drive as a replacement.

Alternatively, you could opt to run a PS2 emulator. Unless you're playing some odd obscure game, PCSX2 works fine with most games.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Well, again... for my nephew. Starting to look now for Xmas so, giving him an emulator would be kind of a crappy gift. :D

Surprised that the PS2 has a HDD inside, and no way to save games to it. Bit of a crappy setup.

I've replaced caps on monitors before. I have a pair of Samsungs that had bad caps and bought them super cheap. $10 of Nichicon caps they work like new again. Nice 20" 4:3 screens (not 5:3) that I bought for making a RaspPi arcade machine. Then the price of wood went up 5x and the project got put on hold. :(

But yeah, gift for nephew... just wanting to make sure I don't get him "the crappy model" or something. The fat PS2 looks like it has a few 3D printed upgrade options for the fan and an SSD holder which is nice. :D

Well, again... for my nephew. Starting to look now for Xmas so, giving him an emulator would be kind of a crappy gift. :D

Surprised that the PS2 has a HDD inside, and no way to save games to it. Bit of a crappy setup.

I've replaced caps on monitors before. I have a pair of Samsungs that had bad caps and bought them super cheap. $10 of Nichicon caps they work like new again. Nice 20" 4:3 screens (not 5:3) that I bought for making a RaspPi arcade machine. Then the price of wood went up 5x and the project got put on hold. :(

But yeah, gift for nephew... just wanting to make sure I don't get him "the crappy model" or something. The fat PS2 looks like it has a few 3D printed upgrade options for the fan and an SSD holder which is nice. :D
The PS2 doesn't have an HDD inside, it does have an expansion slot were you can put one in but it needs "special software" (jailbreak) to use it in any way.

The PS3 uses an HDD and again with special software you can make it run ps2 games and save on emulated mem cards on the hdd.

Reactions: THRobinson

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Oh the PS3 uses emulation... thought you meant what was mentioned before, a PC with emulator.

From what I saw on youtube, the software emulation doesn't look as good as original. And I read somewhere that it still needs to be a specific PS3 model to work... CECHA or CECHB I think.

Price wise, I think I might go fat PS2 and mod. I have a 500GB SATA drive here gathering dust (5400rpm 2.5") and a 3D Printer, found a few file for the fan upgrade.

Still some deciphering with models (some work better than others I guess).

Sucks... I found a PS2 in the trash just over 10yrs ago. Grabbed it. Looked like someone spilled Coke over it all. Got it open and reeked of weed, and had a dvd copy of Harold and Kumar inside (go figure). Dismantled it, cleaned it all, and ran a CD/DVD lens cleaner about 6x to clean the lens off, and worked perfectly.

No idea where it went. I suspect one of my other nieces/nephew took it like they took my NES. Also had a PSOne, they didn't take that, but they broke it. :(

this-why-i-cant-have-nice-things.gif

From what I saw on youtube, the software emulation doesn't look as good as original. And I read somewhere that it still needs to be a specific PS3 model to work... CECHA or CECHB I think.
Eh, you would have to see for yourself to really judge if this is something to worry about, if you don't have a good CRT the quality of PS2 games is going to look bad, or at least off from what you remember, anyway.
If the nephew never saw any PS2 games on a real ps2 on a real crt he probably won't care if it doesn't look perfect.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
If you want to get a real PS2 get a fat model and look into mx4sio and an expansion slot sata convertor.

I think I'm going this route... the PS3 seems a bit trickier to find and they're priced much higher.

Watching YouTube vids trying to figure out software... thinking Free HDBoot. I have a 500GB laptop drive here... small/quiet. Print a bracket and get a Noctua fan. He'll be good to go.

May get one myself... kinda miss Guitar Hero 2

Last edited:

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Eh, you would have to see for yourself to really judge if this is something to worry about, if you don't have a good CRT the quality of PS2 games is going to look bad, or at least off from what you remember, anyway.
If the nephew never saw any PS2 games on a real ps2 on a real crt he probably won't care if it doesn't look perfect.

Yeah I think he's too young to remember CRT's.

When I had the PS2 I was on a Sony 32" Trinitron CRT, never saw it on an LCD.

I have a RaspPi I started building an arcade system with and got screens for it, but they're 4:3 LCD's not CRT's. RaspPi does have filters to fake the lines and even the curved edges though so not too shabby. He's got a 55" LCD TV so, gonna be a nice pixelated mess. :D

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Wow... I live about an hour from any actual city.... just small villages and towns around here. Few hours ago someone local posted a non-working PS2 (fat) local for free, with controllers, power supply, and memory card. Figured I'd risk it being free since controllers and memory card are fine.

Sadly she said it's been in a box for so many years she can't recall what the issue was. Already have it now so, fingers crossed.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Ok, found an extra tv with component inputs... I think I got them in the correct spot.

1 controller half works. 1 controller (unbranded) seems to work fine.

Screen comes up, black & white, browser/system configuration. Not sure the signal is right, since no colour at all...

Version info.
Console: SCPH-39001
Browser: 1.20
CD Player: 1.20
PlayStation Driver: 1.10
DVD Player: 2.12U

EDIT - TV setting, changed it and found an old PS2 game and works fine. So... Free PS2. Will grab the SATA adapter, fan, and maybe a pair of controllers off eBay. OEM copies.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS