PlayStation 3 SSD Upgrade Makes it Load Faster

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
LOL did you test this now ???? i remeber 3 years ago i put in a ssd 40 gig in my old psp.when i played warhawk a all in harddrive games i spawned an culd begin play 5 to 6 sec before ewery one els culd always get to my favorite vehicle in time for the rest to spwan. music and pictures where about 99% faster loaded cant compare.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet....[/citation]
You mean a clear sky during the day is blue and water that's too warm to be ice and too cool evaporate is wet. That'd be a better comparison to faster drives are faster.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Kahless01[/nom]they dont need it on the 360's load times arent as bad since the disc drive is faster. back to bed ps3 fanboy.[/citation]

Considering dual layered DVDs for the Xbox 360 can only hold around 7 gigs due to copy protection, and Blu-ray discs have 5-6 times the storage space, I'd say waiting a few extra seconds isn't all that bad. Besides, good developers know ways around this.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]kashifme21[/nom]Well how would you trim the drive on the PS3?[/citation] Why would you need to it's only going to be writing to the drive for game installations and game saves possibly though I don't even think those save to the HD and reads don't degrade SSD's.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet....[/citation]
Drink your water & breathe your air. Wax on, wax off... ;-)

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I would love to put a Samsung F3 1TB in both my Xbox 360 and PS3 to shorten load times (you can install games onto a Xbox HDD, but those pansy 2.5" notebook drives are slow as hell) to make a console more bearable, but it's not as easy as I'd like (specifically for the Xbox).
I have a 4 drive RAID 0 to install games on my computer, I love pretending load times don't exist.

bangtime

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]A little bit faster, at times, yes. However, you can keep your obnoxiously loud disc drive, your hardware problems, and everything else for that matter.. Don't worry.. we can stop by the kitchen for a glass of warm milk on your way back to bed fanboi. ;P[/citation]

you ps3 fanboys are ignorant elitist nerds. I own the 1st generation 360. i picked mine up the first month it came out. i never had a red ring, i never had hardware issues and have you seen the xbox slims? the disc drive is not loud. btw ps3 has issues playing some video files. with xbox, download the codecs and you are good to watch movies you've ripped from your dvd or blu-ray. 2 of my friends has had their ps3's crapped out and guess what Sony said, buy a new one or give us $150.00 and ps3 controllers is the most uncomfortable piece of crap since nintendo. who made that thing, Mattel?

i'm not a fanboy, i play both systems. people talking about how bad the 360 is are ignorant. stop drinking sony's juice. both systems are good in their own way but for gaming, not one is clearly better than the other.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
from the test you can see that the console need more processing power...30sec just to load the game? on a pc a typical game will load under 10sec or even faster

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Kahless01[/nom]they dont need it on the 360's load times arent as bad since the disc drive is faster. back to bed ps3 fanboy.[/citation]

It's only faster because instead of loading 20-40+GB's of data your only loading at most 9GB's. =p Do your research, or have some common sense. Not faster by much either.

Are we gonna start arguing over consoles now? Because PC=Master Race.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Take all this Crapbox and PS3 console trash talkin to IGN.COM There are a whole bunch of kids/console noobs waiting for you... Dont forget your Pokemon avatars.
This is PC land, i think a few controller users got lost

redice611

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I'm leaving my SSD upgrade for my PC, that's where I'll need the speed boost. My PS3 will be for watching movies, music and gaming which will require that nice fat 640GB 7200rpm HDD I will get. That's because ANY new HDD from 2011 will perform better and be more efficient than the 80GB slow RPM HDD my "Fat" PS3 came with.
My recommendation is get the right hardware for the job, no more no less. I want to be on and off my PC as soon as possible, not so with my PS3.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Wait till we have 1 terabyte ssd. Jailbreak your ps3 and copy all you games to the hdd...minimal load time indeed! I wouldn't mind seeing howfast linux loads either.oh yea better stick to just pirating games...since $ony says that is all you can do on it lol.

Henrik

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I upgraded my PS3 with the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB. It's a solid state hybrid drive with 4GB solid state memory. So, it delivers SSD-like performance with hard drive capacity options. I know other full on solid state drives would still be better, but price and space wise... this was the way to go. GT5 loads nicely...

soky602

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
While your swapping your disc, I'm on to the next race.

soky602

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
For those who say PC is better. Hey I agree, but there isn't really any pre-built $300 PC that can do what the PS3 can do out of a box.

G

i am wondering what will happen if he loads fifa 11, would the game crash more frequently due to its poor design and coding style? Never seen a game with more race conditions and synchronisation issues in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.