PlayStation 4 Announced: PC-based AMD Hardware Inside

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
So am I correct in saying then, that the PS4 will have more similarity in architecture with the original XBox than with its predecessor, the PS3? I find that odd, yet somehow encouraging for emulation once this thing gets outdated.

hannibal

Distinguished
Extremely powerfull for a console. Exelent! GDDR5 8GB is a lot. I would any day take a APU based PC with GDDR5 8GB. It is so much faster than the DDR3 or even DDR4 that it really gives an adwantage to the GPU part of the APU. The CPU part most propably does not benefit at all or very littel.
1.84 TFLOPS GPU is a lot. It may even run 1080p games and 720p very well.
Jaguar is the odball, but I am guite hopefull:
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/142163-amds-next-gen-bobcat-apu-could-win-big-in-notebooks-and-tablets-if-it-launches-on-time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Accelerated_Processing_Unit

All in all, not a bad for console that has to remain very low temperature and eat guite little power.
Gaming PC has higher specks but this is better than I was expecting.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]Jaguar is more of an efficiency boost than an IPC boost over Bobcat, however let's bear in mind that Bobcat was "90% of K8 performance" and Jaguar should exceed that handily, even without taking into account all the extra ISAs it supports over Bobcat (AES, SSE4.x, AVX etc.) and the significantly improved FPU. It will also feature far better memory controllers as well as a huge bandwidth advantage over any other implementation of Jaguar.The console itself has a stupidly powerful (for a console) GPU and I can't imagine that developers will hold off trying to pass as much work to the GPU as possible... as it should be. This is what AMD has been arguing for.There's no word of whether this Jaguar MCM has a turbo implementation, but to access the shared L2, all cores have to be the same speed. This sounds like an issue, however as each core can be individually put to sleep, what's to stop the remaining core(s) being ramped up? Confirmation on the CPU's finer details cannot come soon enough - are there any ARM Cortex A5 cores thrown in there for security purposes, for example.[/citation]AMD already said it is just 15% more IPC over bobcat per module. which put Jaguar IPC just right on K8 IPC. K10 Phenom II/Core 2 quad have better IPC than K8, which is why I said 1.6Ghz 8-core Jaguar is 4 module run around the performance of 1.3Ghz core 2 quad/K10 Phenom II X4. This is pretty dismal if u compare the latest AMD CPU offering, let alone Intel's. Would be hard to imaging how slow it is 5yrs later.... I am not surprise 1156 quad core will not even break at sweat in another 5yrs from console ported games.(lets put a Radeon 9970/GTX980 on 1156 shaw we?
this gen console is also x86 base, so that means the performance optimization gap vs PC is going to be smaller.

RogerJL

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Other stuff I heard, [strike]but need to play that part again[/strike]

- Dedicated hardware for video (de)compression, always on stores in buffer (share what just happened)
for spectating [If MS hadn't thought about that they might have some problem to add it now]

- Always on CPU for downloads while idle (guessing on a low power ARM)
[And since you can start playing a game before it is fully downloaded, it fits really well]

- CPU and GPU is integrated on the same die!
[no chip to chip communication needed - helps to speed things up and to reduce power A LOT]

- The light bar on the controllers will allow the Eye to track their position in the room...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Hurray for AMD! (Why did its stock fall to $0.14? It should be the other way as it gives AMD a huge pie of the counsel market and games will be optimized specifically with AMD APU architecture.)[/citation]

Console parts competition can be fierce so its not far fetched that a possible cause could be that AMD have to low margin on the chips and the stock responds accordingly. In the long run with improved yeilds, die shrinks ect the margain will usually change to the better but not in the short term.

wedouglas

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Resolution and FPS are overrated.

For one, 4K TV's are only now just coming out and cost like $20K. LG sold like 300 of them. Secondly, people won't be upgrading to 4K any time soon either. Too expensive, not much content. Also, resolution doesn't necessarily make a game look better.

As for FPS, I think it's overrated so long as it's not terribly low like 10-15 FPS. Again, 60 FPS of one things does not necessarily look better than 30 FPS of something else.

Consider the CG in the Avengers vs. Crysis 3 with the highest possible settings and 4 of the most powerful video cards you can get. What looks better, Crysis running at 5760x1080 at 100 fps or the CG in the Avengers in 1080p at 24 fps? I don't know about you, but I'd gladly take a game with photo realisytic graphics like film in 1080p at 24 fps than Crysis at 10K at 150 fps.

That is an extreme example, but it illustrates the point. Pushing higher and higher resolution and FPS yields diminishing returns. 1080p was enough. Games don't have enough detail to need higher resolutions. Games need better lighting effects, higher polygon counts, better physics, better animation, better shaders, etc. Come talk to me about the need for 4K and high FPS once my games look like the CG in movies from even 10 years ago. Resources are better used elsewhere imo.

BTW, don't blame consoles for holding back gaming. PC gamers hold gaming back just as much. Just because console gamers can't upgrade their video cards doesn't mean everyone else does. Of all the PC gamers, how many have latest generation video cards? A fraction of them. Unless every PC gamer upgrades to the latest and greatest every year, you'll never see games taking total advantage of your video card.

G

so what the hell, the gtx 680 that i purchased for $478 is literally around the same performance as the ps4 that probably will cost less than the graphic card?. ....... Man this makes me want to return my 680, pc gaming is soooooo damn expensive no wonder torrenting games to hell and back is needed to justify gaming on a pc.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This thing looks like it will be a beast. SoC is definetly the way to go with APUs, and they did not shy away from the components in this APU. Its good games don't need a smart processor or they would not be able to use GDDR5 for the CPU side. Its also good they are using AMD x86 for 2 reasons.
I don't think it will help AMD architecture support on the PC because console processors are striped down pc processors which allows them to get away with stuff like a 256-bit bus for a CPU.
I think it will help keep AMD afloat.
I think it will also further development of OpenCL based physics processing using shared resources on the GPU.

Edit- I forgot to mention this absolutely incredible feature. It has a headphone jack on the controller. Its so convenient. I think we all know most Bluetooth headsets suck because they are so uncomfortable.

G

lol this man really is bitter wonder if is so in real life to ?

get over ya self mate lol

this guy insults people, but when he try'd it on me, I made him look stupid with a binary code with a hidden msg but MASTER CHEN had to rely on some else to sus it out for him , didn't like it so he's gun'd me ever since lol

It would be exciting, but by the time the PS4 actually makes it to market, it will be using a mid-tier last-gen video card. Bfd.

We can only pray software companies will continue to produce PC games and not force us into last-gen mid-tier graphics on a console for a decade at a time.

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
As a panel manufacturer and content provider themselves, it would make sense for Sony to market this for 4K - in a similar vein as they did with Blueray on PS3 given they manufactured the IC logic. However even if the hardware merely upscales to that resolution, half the memory could easily be consumed for frame buffering 3D games.

Regarding the PC based hardware similarities of likely the XB720 also, I wonder if developers will save themselves a lot of effort and just code to DX 11.1 API?

It would seem to make sense from a time & cost saving perspective, very little needing to be done to get one game to run across three platforms. Although this eliminate the console advantage of bare metal coding, I would actually welcome poor PC ports for once instead of the dire console ports I've been having to put up with :)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Steel Buns:
Sucks, I don't like it. Why buy PS 3 when I still have a PS 2 that has tons of great games and can play DVDs & PSOne games just fine? PS 3 sucks, IMHO.

There's only DX9 for next-gen, if I remember correctly... :\
Thus it means PC gamers will be sitting another 5~7 years and playing DX9-made console ports, by the most part...
I'm a hardcore gamer with many years of true experience behind my shoulders, I had over 20 different consoles during my lifetime and I own more than 8 at this current moment, I sincerely love consoles, but even I admit that today's console market (or rather just the path it took during last 7 years) slows video-gaming industry's progress severely. :\
It is very painful to admit, it is very sad and bitter to swallow, but it is absolute truth.
Major consoles of the last generation heavily hindered video-gaming innovation and overall progression of this industry, be that PC gaming or console gaming itself, or even arcades.

P.S. If you're wondering what consoles I have/own at the current moment, check my "User's Configuration" in my "Profile".

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
So, it's a PC but with heavy limitations and closed platform. "Enhanced PC GPU" this is clearly a poor marketing term to make it sound like it's actually superior to what a PC could provide right now.

"AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine" Well that's saying a-lot without actually saying anything. If it were something to brag about they wouldn't have gone this route.

Regardless of this I do have to admit the specs are a bit shocking in a good way.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]as it is based on x86 it will be easier for developers to port games from PS4 to PC or Vice versa[/citation]

Bingo. This is a genius move on the part of Sony. Instead of making developers decide between dedicating resources for what platform Xbox or PS4 or PC, its between PS4 & PC, or Xbox. This should payoff big for both PS4 and PC owners in terms of title availability.

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Steel Buns:Sucks, I don't like it. Why buy PS 3 when I still have a PS 2 that has tons of great games and can play DVDs & PSOne games just fine? PS 3 sucks, IMHO.There's only DX9 for next-gen, if I remember correctly... :\Thus it means PC gamers will be sitting another 5~7 years and playing DX9-made console ports, by the most part...I'm a hardcore gamer with many years of true experience behind my shoulders, I had over 20 different consoles during my lifetime and I own more than 8 at this current moment, I sincerely love consoles, but even I admit that today's console market (or rather just the path it took during last 7 years) slows video-gaming industry's progress severely. :\It is very painful to admit, it is very sad and bitter to swallow, but it is absolute truth.Major consoles of the last generation heavily hindered video-gaming innovation and overall progression of this industry, be that PC gaming or console gaming itself, or even arcades.[/citation]
I agree and have about the same years experience as you do with this. Add to it a whole generation of up and coming gamers that are all into high-volume sales simple finger-swipey iPhone apps and the gaming industry is bound to hit a dark age fairly soon.

[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]I am glad AMD is in it, more money for them. This is a good looking console finally packing some serious PC hardware in it. Can it play Crysis 3?[/citation]
Yeah. In 720p on medium settings at 30fps and no AA. lol

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
oO i think since its an amd processor/gpu... sony and microsoft backdoor people dont want amd to release their 88xx series gpu else these game boxes would become outdated.
Also, i think some genius will come out wth a patch which will run all games on ps4/xbox 720...

Does it mean end of desktop PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.