PlayStation 4 Announced: PC-based AMD Hardware Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I know I am not up with my PS4 rumors and news but they can't really be putting an APU in it can they? I mean APUs are great but they are barley middle of the road when it comes to graphics capabilities.

[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]for about 2teraflops on the GPU, id say we are getting 7850-7870 performance in terms of speed. pretty good[/citation]

I'd be wary of actual performance rated in teraflops. its hard to say what it really is as these are modified/custom gpus, and in this case, IGPU as well. The fact that its 8 cores, and the term APU was used, means that AMD must have created a new type of apu for the PS4, so its up in the airs of what it can really do.

itzsnypah

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
I am disappointed, the best APU's can only play 720p smoothly. Oh and there is no such thing as an 8core APU. I really hope this playstation only lasts a few years, because I don't want to have another 8ish years where graphics in games don't improve. It's obvious that they don't have a power limit so why didn't they use dedicated graphics? Also who the hell needs a touchscreen controller?

the odds are that its a custom APU, it will be much more powerful than your apus found in the fm2 socket

samal90

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
AMD is probably developing a special APU just for the PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a kaveri APU in there. It would actually be nice. Since we still don't have an 8 core apu in the mainstream market, i'd say that APU will be reserved for the PS4 only with special optimizations. I wonder if it will still have a dedicated GPU for virtual crossfire with the APU GPU. that would give great performance.

[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Not big on the HDD thing, but the rest looks good.It actually sounds more like a gaming PC than the Xbox 360 does now, which is ironic.[/citation]

The original Xbox was based on PC hardware too IIRC.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I wish sony would make a PCI-E card that has an SSD on it. You plug this card in and they say YOU MUST HAVE X specs but with it it turns your computer into a ps4.. You restart your computer and boot into ps4 mode.. or you have vmware(or some other vm tech). You pay 150 for the card and 30 per game.. You don't have disks you just have images provided by sony's in system store.

G

Hurray for AMD! (Why did its stock fall to $0.14? It should be the other way as it gives AMD a huge pie of the counsel market and games will be optimized specifically with AMD APU architecture.)

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Before all the people get into the comments section, and go "I am gonna stick with my 680gtx and i7!!" or the general anti-console talk... Look people I have a gaming PC too... and PC games are great. But how am I going to get the new Okami, Catherine, Monster Hunter, Rez, Siren, Virtua Fighter, Lumines, Tekken, Silent Hill, Katamari, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, The Last Guardian and the like on PC? The fact is a lot of my favorite genres happen to be developed mostly in Japan. These games do not generally come out for PC. So yes, it IS stupid to buy the new FPS on a console for $10 more and with crappy controls and no real modding scene to speak of... and when I am buying an FPS it is on PC. But a large amount of games I enjoy are console only. So anyone saying... "CONSOLE is BaLLs, PC IS THE OWNZ!!!1111", consider that not everyone is always after the next FPS, RTS, Simulator or MMO.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Also wanted to note that I realize the amount of genres you regularly see on the PC have been expanding since steam. Was surprised to see SFIV on PC. Still a lot of work to be done until the need for me to have a console to play these games is no more. But who knows, maybe the x86 in the PS4 and likely in the new MS console offering may see an even bigger improvement.

it was in development for 5 years, and they though screw this idea! its much easier and cheaper to build a PC! thats not a bad thing though, about time they stopped wasting their money on product specific custom hardware when there is perfectly good solutions already available.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]the odds are that its a custom APU, it will be much more powerful than your apus found in the fm2 socket[/citation]
Beyond that they typically program to a solid 30 fps. Not aiming for 60 or above. They won't be turning on AA AF to the max either on the PS or XBOX.

Status
Not open for further replies.