Review PlayStation 5 Review: Tower of Power

Giroro

Splendid
Meh, I'm going to wait for game prices to come down.
$70+ is way too much to buy into free-to-pay and pay-to-win style monetization.

I feel bad for all the kids who won't be able to afford to play games this generation, because the big publishers are too busy aggressively exploiting whales and addicts.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I dont like the non symmetrical look of PS5 .. but I agree that it has the exclusive games that makes me want to buy it over Xbox .

Also , keep in mind that Sony is the only console with VR hardware and VR games. and the new VR hardware is coming .

simonstroud

Reputable
Aug 31, 2018
I'm not so sure that the small horsepower advantage the Xbox X has over the PS5 will ever show itself. When you look at the huge amount of spec that has been slashed on the Xbox S (which uses binned Xbox X CPU with cores, pipelines disabled an the max clock cut back significantly, and 2gb less RAM), Xbox titles will always be held back by the lesser system.

There is a lot to be said for Sony making both models of PS5 the same core spec, a single hardware target for developing to means highly optimised games, cheaper launch costs, less testing overhead.

Sony have already won this gen. The have the best console, at the best price point, the best game lineup and a huge user base of PS4 owners. Let's face reality, you are going to struggle to find unhappy PS4 owners this gen, they will be upgrading to PS5. En-masse.

PS4 to PS5 conversion rates are going to be as near to 100%
Xbox to PS5 conversions are goibg to be significant, given all the exclusives owners missed out on.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Just started reading the article, so I haven't read much, just the comment about the size, and got me thinking. Considering it is very much using PC parts in these now, it makes sense for them to be bigger, especially when you consider the cooling. More cooling power means more power options. - bigger heat sinks, bigger fans, etc.
But, it also got me thinking about another idea that I'm surprised no one has considered (or maybe they did and didn't think it plausible). Consoles have always been built as stand alone pieces. And a generally small footprint, which has had people complain about heating and cooling. But these are generally hooked up to TVs and entertainment systems. And surround sound in these games have been around for a long time as well. So why not design these to match more of an audio component (A/V Receiver, Blu-Ray player, etc). It would be much easier to match the design with the standard footprint of stereo component. You wouldn't have the issue of some people liking the odd design that some designers came up with, and others hating it. Most people would prefer to have something match the esthetics of their other components than have this big, odd, white, retro spaceship idea sitting off to the side. And it would give them a TONNE more space for components and cooling. They could even incorporate a slot at the bottom front to store the controllers and have them charging when not being used.

Sep 15, 2020
Meh, I'm going to wait for game prices to come down.
$70+ is way too much to buy into free-to-pay and pay-to-win style monetization.

I feel bad for all the kids who won't be able to afford to play games this generation, because the big publishers are too busy aggressively exploiting whales and addicts.
Next gen games won't get cheaper my friend. So either don't wait or just game on a PC where games are much more affordable (usually). The $70 is the new pricing for AAA games from this point on, it'll go to the PC marketplace very soon unfortunately, but the PC market is way wider and with more purchasing options than any console, and Epic I hope still going to give free games once a week into 2021 (my Epic games collection is getting bigger and bigger)

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Why are all the PS5 reviews coming out at the same time? Are you guys rushing this review? I ask because there was zero (0) coverage of how 4k movies play, upscaling, etc.