Playstation Releases 1 TB PS4 To Compete With 1 TB Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
The secret with the XB1 is just get an external USB 3.0 7200rpm drive. I picked up a 5TB for $120 and it runs at the same speed as the internal. I'm not talking theoretical speed, but actual performance. So if you're running out of room and you like your XB1, you don't need to buy the new one to get the storage.

The one thing I have noticed is it takes a little longer for startup from a cold start. Other than that, performance is the same.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
The advantage would be if it had a SSD for faster booting into maps. Who cares about a bigger optical hard drive.

1tb is 44$ for me to buy, they obviously get them cheaper... but lets see what the biggest 44$ ssd is.

60gb at best if you consider 44.99 still 44$ otherwise 16-32gb at best...

1 game on a console takes up 50gb because they are on dl blurays and what are you going to do, compress audio on a 50gb disc so more processing power is used to run them, or say screw it, we have 25gb to burn on the second layer lets go uncompressed?

a ssd would make things faster buy we have seen it time and time again where games wont let you load into a map when you can because you have to wait for the hdd people too.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
The advantage would be if it had a SSD for faster booting into maps. Who cares about a bigger optical hard drive.

They have done lots of tests, the SSD doesn't give you that much better speeds than a hybrid HDD, it only helps with boot up, and with reset mode, those numbers don't really matter.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

on average they dont help much, but it also depends on the game... if i remember right battlefield games you load into the game significantly faster but they force a specific time to join the game due to some people being incredibly slow loaders.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Competition is beautiful

How about an upgrade from SATA II to SATA III instead lol

Might not help too much with magnetic drives. If they were using SSDs, the SATA III may make more of a difference

possibly, in a pc there is hardrive overhead where the os can be requesting crap while you are requesting more crap and that's why when i found out my hdds were running at 700kbps because of how much they were hammered i moved to ssd and never looked back. seek time on a ssd is non existent, so thats where the advantage comes from...

however, do consoles hammer hdds the same way a pc can? if not, there may be significantly less reason to go ssd over bigger hdd, as some hdds are capable of 180-200 read speed and if you remove seak time and os asking crap of the hdd all the time...

I know what you're saying. I do both. No console beats the graphics of my 3930K/GTX 980 SC combo (or my i3-2100/GTX 960 HTPC/1080p gamer for that matter).

I do think the matchmaking on the console is superior. Also, I'd say NBA 2K15 on the XB1 is among the best games I've ever played.

I will never play a serious shooter on a console though. There's just no comparison. The PC has so many more details and the realism on shooters blows the console away. That being said, Titanfall is the best shooter I've played on a console. I have it on PC as well and the graphics are definitely better, but for a console shooter, there's nothing I've seen that's better.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
upgrading to 1tb on the ps4 isn't an issues it's simple and doesn't void your warranty so I don't see this being a big deal ps4 selling a 1tb hard drive version when many ps4 owners already put in a 1tb hard drive or larger. it's not like the xbox one where you have to void your warranty and have to transfer the os from the 500gb to the new hard drive in order for it to work. Heck i'll even argue that 1tb isn't even large enough if you are doing game dvr's and esp now with xbox one being backwards compatible which will allow people to transfer all their digital downloaded xbox 360 games onto the xbox one ontop of having their xbox one games downloaded onto their xbx one hard drives, i'd say you would need at least a 1.5TB hard drive to feel comfortable and 2TB would be ideal.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
SATA 2 + SSD = waste of money 250MB/s not 500MB/s+
Current PS4 OS + TRIM = Not support = SSD failure 100% guaranteed

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

The 250 MB vs 500 MB arguement is old and stupid. Most of the speed up comes from the seek time. That's why there is barely a discernible difference when going from 5400 rpms to 7200 rpms.

TRIM? A game is loaded and stays in one spot unless you delete it. Saved games? A couple megs here and there out of GB's of space. Consoles don't write and re-write all the time like PC's do. I have a PS3 with an SSD and it's extensively used by the kids and 4 years in has not had a single issue.

Here's a test against one of the fastest 10,000rpm optical drives on the market, up against a SSD.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-sata-3gbps,3469.html
When it comes to random read access, the optical drives is exponentially worse. This means when on a very large map, reaching for textures of characters, the map, or different game elements, the SSD kicks butt. For all out performance reading large files the SSD still wins by over 30% on SATA II.

Quoting toms hardware:
We can now answer the question of whether you need available SATA 6Gb/s ports to justify an SSD upgrade. Clearly, you're still going to see plenty of benefit from solid-state storage, even if you're using a 3 Gb/s connector. In the real world, a 3 Gb/s interface doesn't bottleneck common applications. It's only when you push the technology's limits using synthetic benchmarks, server/workstation-oriented workloads, or large SSD-to-SSD transfers that 6 Gb/s signaling kicks into gear.

The real key is getting an SSD into your machine. Just have a look at what happens when our 840 Pro goes up against the fastest desktop hard drive we've ever benchmarked, Western Digital's ValociRaptor. The disk didn't stand a chance in any of our synthetic or real-world tests.

So yes, A SSD does help alot. I'm a PC gamer, it certain sped things up significantly, on games with larger MMO maps, it cuts it down loading time by at least 50% in my experience. It was like a night and day upgrade for me. That's with it on SATA II. Next year i'll upgrade to a new rig and upgrade to SATA III once the new ZEN CPU's come out.

SSD vs HDD:

It can help on loads, so go buy one if you have the cash and that's a benefit to you.

It makes no sense for SONY or MICROSOFT to put in an SSD from a cost perspective though.

You can find a 1TB for roughly $350 USD I believe though I haven't looked recently. That's the price of a new XBOX ONE!

sixajd

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Why do you people keep referring to hard drives as optical drives? An optical drive uses optics to read.. like a DVD drive or Blu-ray. Hard drives use magnetic particles on spinning platters, no laser involved.

G

It'd be cool if Sony had an SSD in the PS4. That way there's more speed & reliability & it'd last longer too. They could put a Samsung 850 Pro in it or a Crucial MX200.

G

What'd also be interesting is if Sony used PCI-E interface for SSD's on their PS4's. The speed would be extremely compared to SATA all together. SATA II & SATA III, no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.