News PlayStation VR2 Will Cost More Than PS5

For what it's promised to do, that's actually an excellent price point. Sure, not cheap, but it's not a basic VR experience from what I've been reading.

If the adoption rate is good, maybe it'll go down in price? Maybe?

Regards.

Druid kern

Prominent
Jun 12, 2021
Last time I checked prices here in Canada for ps5's they were retailing for $1000. So if this vr headset cost $500 more to buy that puts the total cost for both the game system and the vr headset, some where around $2500 all together here. That is insane!

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor
If the adoption rate is good, maybe it'll go down in price? Maybe?
its sony.
it won't.

also you can buy a quest 2 for less which is mroe versatile & can connect to your pc (if u have 1 or get 1)

and looking ta the games its not really got a lot of good ones. (pistol whip..but again u can get it for less via the quest 2)

BadOmans

Reputable
Nov 22, 2020
At $549 I don't forsee the PSVR2 flying off the shelves. It is cheap compared to something like an Index or Vive Pro but there's a reason why the Quest 2 is the top selling VR headset...price. Even Quest 2 sales have stagnated after the price increase. Aside from the Sony faithful and the relatively few VR enthusiasts in that group not many people want to drop $500+ on a VR headset.

Though TBH I do hope I'm wrong. Maybe this will jumpstart the VR gaming scene and really bring it mainstream. Time will tell I guess.

its sony.
it won't.

also you can buy a quest 2 for less which is mroe versatile & can connect to your pc (if u have 1 or get 1)

and looking ta the games its not really got a lot of good ones. (pistol whip..but again u can get it for less via the quest 2)
Comparing the PSVR2 to the Quest 2 is like comparing a 1080p 60Hz screen monitor to a 1440p 144Hz with 1ms G2G in terms of performance.

The PSVR2 has many things the Quest 2 just doesn't have and won't have, ever. Not just better resolution and graphical capabilities (it is standalone, but backed by the PS5 and not the anemic ARM SoC in the Quest 2). Plus eye tracking. That is actually huge.

For the price, this is hands down a way better HMD than the Quest 2; not even in the same league. Your next best comparison would be the Vive Pro or the Index even.

Regards.

you forget biggest asterisk

its locked to console with extremely small vr game list.
Not disagreeing there, but it does have good VR potential because it is in a closed environment (like Apple's AR/MR device will be). Hence it's price as well, I'd say. Given the "spec list", that thing is being sold under cost or really close to cost. Spec wise, it is not expensive compared to other market offerings and that's an important point.

I hope it succeeds with the PS5, because it'll open more development options and won't be using the Quest 2 garbage baseline for VR anymore.

Regards.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Comparing the PSVR2 to the Quest 2 is like comparing a 1080p 60Hz screen monitor to a 1440p 144Hz with 1ms G2G in terms of performance.

The PSVR2 has many things the Quest 2 just doesn't have and won't have, ever. Not just better resolution and graphical capabilities (it is standalone, but backed by the PS5 and not the anemic ARM SoC in the Quest 2). Plus eye tracking. That is actually huge.

For the price, this is hands down a way better HMD than the Quest 2; not even in the same league. Your next best comparison would be the Vive Pro or the Index even.

Regards.
You're not wrong here, but theres a reason why 1920x1080 is the most used resolution on the steam hardware survey; accessibility and price. this HMD offers a lot for the price, but it lacks accessibility as its locked to the ps5. Id love to see something like this available in the pc space, but i dont think we will.

fybyfyby

Commendable
Dec 25, 2019
At $549 I don't forsee the PSVR2 flying off the shelves. It is cheap compared to something like an Index or Vive Pro but there's a reason why the Quest 2 is the top selling VR headset...price. Even Quest 2 sales have stagnated after the price increase. Aside from the Sony faithful and the relatively few VR enthusiasts in that group not many people want to drop $500+ on a VR headset.

Though TBH I do hope I'm wrong. Maybe this will jumpstart the VR gaming scene and really bring it mainstream. Time will tell I guess.
Its on par with psvr 1 price. Don't forget psvr1 400usd was without camera and controllers. So in the end the price is similar despite inflation.

You're not wrong here, but theres a reason why 1920x1080 is the most used resolution on the steam hardware survey; accessibility and price. this HMD offers a lot for the price, but it lacks accessibility as its locked to the ps5. Id love to see something like this available in the pc space, but i dont think we will.
Companies are still trying to figure out how to make VR more accessible, for sure. Meta has been burning money like there's no tomorrow in order to figure it out and the Quest 2 has been the closest they've been to do so. Don't get me wrong here, as the Quest 2 is actually a good device all things considered, but it is still not cheap enough.

We're on the same page (talking VR in general) about its cost of entry, but as an active enthusiast of VR experiences, I have to say it is absolutely worth it. Well, if your body can handle it.

Regards.

Reactions: btmedic04
this HMD offers a lot for the price, but it lacks accessibility as its locked to the ps5. Id love to see something like this available in the pc space, but i dont think we will.
exactly.
headset is good, but the locked to console is a harsh restraint.
but it is still not cheap enough.
its likely as cheap as VR will get.
VR is a niche market and as such can't get too low as the R&D and components are $.
also Quest 2 sold like hotcakes on release.
it let ppl try VR for "cheap" w/o needing a console or pc at all. (saving hundreds)

its likely as cheap as VR will get.
VR is a niche market and as such can't get too low as the R&D and components are $.
also Quest 2 sold like hotcakes on release.
it let ppl try VR for "cheap" w/o needing a console or pc at all. (saving hundreds)
I'm still hopeful that, in the mid-term, there will be a way to mass-manufacture a similar HMD as the Quest2, but that is not overly expensive and not bad in terms of overall experience.

The "main" VR development is going to the areas they can make them more immersive and, well, impressive. If you want to see what I'm talking about, watch this video (if you haven't):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23RS3RAg16k

Regards.

to mass-manufacture a similar HMD as the Quest2, but that is not overly expensive and not bad in terms of overall experience.
its a niche market segment.

they will never become dirt cheap as the oens need all the $ they can from em.
even Sony & Nintendo are leaving the "sell console at a loss and recoup cost via games" market so doubt VR will do that.