Question PLC PG-9172, disable encryption?

Jun 1, 2021
I'm using 2 PG-9172 ( PLC from Comtrend ) which work really well, fast and reliable.

But, on a hot day they can get pretty warm.

I thought that maybe disabling "Encryption" would relieve the CPU from some work, and render the device cooler ( most traffic is https / ssh anyway ).

However, the Manual doesn't really state how to disable encryption ( would removing the "domain name" [ a hash string ] make encryption stop? ).

(NB installed the latest firmware on both devices)

I have not used that brand but the similar ones that I have seen have a network name and a encryption key. If you leave the key blank I think it runs without encryption.

You might be able to test if the encryption has a effect if you have a way to actually measure the temperature of the devices. The load the encryption puts on the cpu is directly related to how much traffic is passing. You should be able test running large data transfers for a while and see if there is any noticable change compared to when the devices run idle. The best solution to any heat problem is likely a small fan

Jun 1, 2021
Just in case... that's not a wifi "router", just a PLC, using the electrical wires (there is no "network name").

There is what they call a Domain Name, it's a lengthy hash key ( and not a Internet domain name, as the ones resolved by a DNS server ).
It's actually the "Domain" used by the 2 PLCs devices to dialog between each other.

And there is also a Pairing Password, that allows the 2 devices to pair.

So I will try to blank the "Domain Name", and see if the encryption disappears...

When I was messing with this stuff I could never figure out if it was actually running encryption or it was just running the encryption using a password of all blanks. The ones I used were not real informative, they pretty much were designed for consumers who wanted to take thing out of boxes plug them in and they work. Comtrend uses a different standard from almost all other vendors and I have never seen what those units offer.

kanewolf

Titan
Encryption" is shown "enabled", yet there is apparently no way to disable it.
Which isn't too surprising. You wouldn't run a WIFI with no encryption, same thing for powerline. You don't have point-to-point control like you do with ethernet cable. You are effectively broadcasting RF on the power lines in your house. They could be intercepted without encryption.

Jun 1, 2021
Which isn't too surprising. You wouldn't run a WIFI with no encryption, same thing for powerline. You don't have point-to-point control like you do with ethernet cable. You are effectively broadcasting RF on the power lines in your house. They could be intercepted without encryption.
It is surprising, at least I can choose to configure my openwrt-ed wifi "router" to not perform any encryption.
But I wouldn't, wifi is in the air and anybody driving nearby could connect to the router and use it.

Nowadays most traffic is https / ssh anyway, so even if you could listen to it...

Plus, to listen to this PLC, you need the same hardware plugged in the house, as the signal is seriously degraded past the house (and is not as "standard" as wifi is). The risk is pretty low.

Anyways, I did a factory reset on both devices, and... encryption is gone! (until I re-configure it)
So I'll use it like that for some time and see if there is any temperature improvement, none so far... so the encryption is probably done in-chip (and not done via a program).
We'll see...