[SOLVED] Please clarify performance difference between G.Skill Trident Z RGB and non-RGB versions

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I keep reading conflicting information. Some mentioned that having RGB does not reduce speed and both versions performance the same but others mentioned that the RGB version does not perform as well as the non-RGB version especially if it is overclocked. Who should I listen? I am talking about DDR4-3200CL14 to be used with i9-9900K. I heard that if the RAM is 3200, I do need to overclock to get that speed. Thanks.

Solution
The 9900K only officially supports up to 2666 MHz, so everything higher than that is technically an overclock. That being said, if you buy RAM that's rated for 3200 MHz all you'll have to do is go into the bios an switch a single setting (enable XMP profile) and your RAM will run at 3200 MHz, no manual overclocking required. RGB or non-RGB won't make a difference in that regard.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The 9900K only officially supports up to 2666 MHz, so everything higher than that is technically an overclock. That being said, if you buy RAM that's rated for 3200 MHz all you'll have to do is go into the bios an switch a single setting (enable XMP profile) and your RAM will run at 3200 MHz, no manual overclocking required. RGB or non-RGB won't make a difference in that regard.

Solution