[SOLVED] Please critique my build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 9, 2021
I am just getting into PC building and this is my first shot at it. My goal is to have a pretty decent gaming computer. I feel like I have looked everything over enough and I feel like it should work; however, I'm not positive. I would love some feedback and advice from people who know way more about this stuff than I do. Thank you in advance!
Here is my build list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dfj6F8

PS- Ideally, I would to keep the overall price where it is, but I am somewhat flexible.

Solution
Looks like a decent build to me.
The only aspect I would critique would be using that mobo with an i5, and your storage.

Don't think anything is "wrong with" going i5. Actually pretty smart while you wait out a GPU. Thing is that mobo is darned expensive for that CPU...in that you could absolutely get by with a lesser mobo and use that money elsewhere in the build. The only reason I wouldn't would be if you have a plan to upgrade to an i7/i9 up the road, and if you do I would personally do it now. (keep in mind that the PSU you selected may not run super high draw components without that other 4 pin)

I would personally consider a smaller M.2 and utilize standard 2.5" SSD or cheaper M.2 as your bulk storage option. Of course, you may...
Mar 9, 2021
The 650w psu you chose will run an RTX 3060 Ti just fine. I'd give serious thought though to @Master Djoza recommendation of the 10700F cpu. That chip not only runs cool and uses less power, it kicks a$$ in gaming (FPS) not to mention that CM 212 Black Edition cpu cooler you chose will work just fine for it. Pair that up with a Z590 board and you're off to the races.
I will most likely upgrade my MB, and I've been talked into changing the cpu :). I also want to thank all of you for helping me learn some new things and get a better idea of these things.

Reactions: Why_Me and Dj0gany
Mar 9, 2021
Well look, if we are talking about real world situation's, something will for sure either die or malfuction in your pc. (happens to all of us)
For example, you graphics card.
It dies and you dont have any other GPU to test if the GPU is the problem or something else, and you just need to see if it will post.
So for trouble shooting, paying 30$ more for the 10700 is not a bad investment if you think about it.
That makes sense, I'll do that.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Yep they do. I totally made a mistake. I thought it was a new socket for the new 11th gen. I'm stupid and tired :)

Deleting my idiotic post.

"all Z490 motherboards featuring PCIe 4.0 will support Intel's 11th Gen "Rocket Lake-S" CPUs."
No worries xD
I just got confused since tech news is coming in every few hours and idk something's might've changed that i didnt notice.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Honestly, IMO OP, if I were going to buy a 10th gen Intel it would be the 10850K. Value, performance, price all comes together there as far as I am concerned. The 10900 (non K) would also be a good choice to me if the price was right.
With that said, I have a Microcenter nearby and can pick that for $350.

OK what did we all miss on the OP's build ... he chose a VA panel over an IPS. Shame on all of us for missing that (including myself).
I didnt even know that there are Asus high end gaming monitor's that use VA anymore.
Prices are so similar between VA and IPS that i tend to forget VA even existed. ( typing this from my 12 year old BenQ 2400WA dont mind me pls xD )

Edit:
By high end i mean gaming monitors.

Reactions: Why_Me
Honestly, IMO OP, if I were going to buy a 10th gen Intel it would be the 10850K. Value, performance, price all comes together there as far as I am concerned. The 10900 (non K) would also be a good choice to me if the price was right.
With that said, I have a Microcenter nearby and can pick that for $350.
The i9's tmk aren't all that great at gaming from the reviews I've read. Unless the OP plans on doing a lot of video editing I don't see the advantage of that cpu.

Mar 9, 2021
I didnt even know that there are Asus high end gaming monitor's that use VA anymore.
Prices are so similar between VA and IPS that i tend to forget VA even existed. ( typing this from my 12 year old BenQ 2400WA dont mind me pls xD )

Edit:
What does this mean? Is there something not compatible? Or is there something I should just swap out?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The i9's tmk aren't all that great at gaming from the reviews I've read. Unless the OP plans on doing a lot of video editing I don't see the advantage of that cpu.

Not disagreeing, per se...but be careful of the "I saw a benchmark" type of performance standard for picking a proc. Chances are good that if you built two systems that were completely identical aside from an i5/i7/i9, turned off the frame counter, and you played a game you likely wouldn't be able to tell what CPU was in there. On the flip side of that. If you do any work editing, compressing photo, etc. and/or wait a few years there is a going to be a HUGE difference in a 12 thread and 20 thread CPU.

And, it's easy for me to sit here and tell you how to spend your money. An i5 is a great chip, regardless of the "Ryzen fanboi" stuff you hear, and even my own opinion on the value window. If your main concern is only gaming the highest clock speed will be best for you. As an aside, the cooler you picked is a good value option. I have one in use myself, hard to beat. Just the same it is not going to give superb OC (thermal) overhead. It's a great choice to start, but if you get "serious" about OC this chip you WILL need a better cooler than that.

Reactions: Why_Me

Edit:
You're doing better than me atm. I'm down to a laptop after getting cleaned out in my divorce by the Belarussian. =/

@ the OP. IPS panels have a distinct advantage over TA panels in regards to pretty much everything including gaming.

Here's just one example of a decent priced 1080P IPS panel gaming monitor. The stand is cheap but that's an easy fix with a cheap vesa monitor desktop mount off of amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Pixio-Radeon-FreeSync-Esports-Monitor/dp/B08TYX8HN6/
Pixio PX248 Prime S 24 inch 165Hz IPS 1ms FHD 1080p AMD Radeon FreeSync Esports IPS Gaming Monitor $179.99

Here's two reviews of the older version of that monitor .. the 144Hz version.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pixio-px248-prime-24-inch-gaming-monitor

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-freesync-monitors-for-nvidia-gpus

2. Pixio PX248 Prime

What does this mean? Is there something not compatible? Or is there something I should just swap out?
Its nothing to worry about.
Its not a incompatabilty.
Its a Display Type.
See there are 3 (most used) Display Types.
Each have their own advantages and dissadvantages
The difference's between the 3 can be found here.
Again, i could explain all of this to you, but i think its easier for both me and you if i just link you a correct page : ) .
If you have any question, just ask.

Mar 9, 2021
Not disagreeing, per se...but be careful of the "I saw a benchmark" type of performance standard for picking a proc. Chances are good that if you built two systems that were completely identical aside from an i5/i7/i9, turned off the frame counter, and you played a game you likely wouldn't be able to tell what CPU was in there. On the flip side of that. If you do any work editing, compressing photo, etc. and/or wait a few years there is a going to be a HUGE difference in a 12 thread and 20 thread CPU.

And, it's easy for me to sit here and tell you how to spend your money. An i5 is a great chip, regardless of the "Ryzen fanboi" stuff you hear, and even my own opinion on the value window. If your main concern is only gaming the highest clock speed will be best for you. As an aside, the cooler you picked is a good value option. I have one in use myself, hard to beat. Just the same it is not going to give superb OC (thermal) overhead. It's a great choice to start, but if you get "serious" about OC this chip you WILL need a better cooler than that.
I will probably go ahead and upgrade the cooler, just to be on the safe side.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Looks great except for the SSD but $110 for windows? and a home ed.? what a ripoff.

I'd go for another SSD brand like Crucial, WD or even Corsair if you want it to last more than a year without weird issues.
If you plan on playing games with that ditch wifi or the lag is gonna be a nightmare.

About Intel, well:
amd-makes-a-new-processor-on-the-same-socket-intel-makes-the-same-processor-on-a-new-socket.jpg

You won't be able to upgrade, 2 more years and it's a dead platform, IF they don't firmware lock the current mobos for the 11th gen CPUs

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The difference's between the 3 can be found here.

Very good article on the subject.

Something else just to complicate the issue. Consider whether you want G sync or "compatible" monitor. Actual G sync is expensive. There are some Free Sync monitors that are listed and have the nod from Nvidia as compatible, then there is Free Sync which is an AMD thing not (nodded) compatible which can be a real crap shoot in performance with Nvidia cards. Then there is V sync which is workable at the cost of quite a bit of possible performance.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Looks great except for the SSD but $110 for windows? and a home ed.? what a ripoff.

I'd go for another SSD brand like Crucial, WD or even Corsair if you want it to last more than a year without weird issues.
If you plan on playing games with that ditch wifi or the lag is gonna be a nightmare.

About Intel, well:
amd-makes-a-new-processor-on-the-same-socket-intel-makes-the-same-processor-on-a-new-socket.jpg

You won't be able to upgrade, 2 more years and it's a dead platform, IF they don't firmware lock the current mobos for the 11th gen CPUs

Yes, but in the absence of available GPU, and sold out Ryzen iGPU you can have that better performance in a system you have no display on. At this current point in time (and without a box of extra GPU) Intel is in the cat bird seat. (I use a Ryzen by the way, not hating)

About Intel, well:

About the samsung ssd's, are you speaking from personal experience or?