[SOLVED] Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting. Press F1 to run setup.

Jun 3, 2020
Last night, I decided to clean up my PC (components, peripherals, board etc.). There was a lot of dust on the motherboard. Using an old toothbrush, I brushed away the dust.
I also realized there was some debris around the CMOS battery as well. Knowing it well that removing or reseating the battery resets all BIOS settings, I removed the battery, brushed away the dust around it, and placed it back. Now when I turn on my PC, it says:

"Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting.
Press F1 to Run SETUP."

The keyboard is completely unresponsive, pressing F1 does nothing, Ctrl+Alt+Del also not working.
Board: Asus P8H67-V.

Things that I have tried:
  1. Reset BIOS using the jumper to clear BIOS (i.e. from position 1,2 to 2,3)
  2. Tried using a USB to PS/2 converter
  3. Tried to power on without battery.
  4. Left PC unplugged, held power button for 20+ seconds.
  5. Tried all USB ports.
  6. Keyboard works perfectly fine on my laptop.
Keyboard: Corsair k68

Solution
USB to PS2 adapters have never worked for me. Ever. Not even back when most boards had PS2 ports and they were standard equipment that was far more common than USB.

I'm telling you, even on my MUCH newer than yours Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5, the BIOS simply does not like my Microsoft natural ergonomic 4000 keyboard if I completely clear the CMOS settings in the BIOS and I have to use my Microsoft comfort curve 3000. Why does one work and not the other? I don't know. I have no idea. But I suspect it is due to the advanced design and nature of the Ergonomic 4000 that has a lot more bells and whistles on it than the Curve 3000, much as your Corsair keyboard is likely much more advanced and may simply not be well supported without full USB...
My keyboard works perfectly fine on most anything I connect it to as well, including in the pre-Windows or BIOS environments, normally. But if I reset the BIOS, I have to use a DIFFERENT wired keyboard every time to get it to be recognized. Also, if it IS wired, make sure it is plugged directly into the back of the motherboard, and is plugged into a USB 2.0 port, not a 3.0 or higher port, if you have a 2.0 port. Those will be the black ones. Don't plug it or your receiver into a USB hub, or 3.0 port. On some boards, once the BIOS has been completely reset, it won't recognize the keyboard that way.

Your best bet would be to try a basic wired keyboard. It's what I have to do everytime. If you have a PS2 keyboard, or can borrow one, that usually works as well, but even a basic wired model that is USB 2.0 should work for you.

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Do you have a ps/2 keybd or usb?

If USB, make sure you are using the ports just below the PS/2 port. Those are the ones that typically work in the bios. Plug in a mouse and make sure the laser lights up. If not then you have a blown fuse or breaker on the 5v usb power. If you have a blown breaker (not common) you can often reset it by unplugging it from wall power for 20 minutes.

Jun 3, 2020
As I mentioned, I have tried every USB port on the board (2.0 as well 3.0). I ordered a USB to PS2 adapter, doesn't seem to work. Might be a faulty adapter. Amazon say they'll send me a new one today.
RGB lights on keyboard do turn on, however num lock, caps keys don't light up. Next thing I need to do is to order a native PS2 keyboard.

Jun 3, 2020
My keyboard works perfectly fine on most anything I connect it to as well, including in the pre-Windows or BIOS environments, normally. But if I reset the BIOS, I have to use a DIFFERENT wired keyboard every time to get it to be recognized. Also, if it IS wired, make sure it is plugged directly into the back of the motherboard, and is plugged into a USB 2.0 port, not a 3.0 or higher port, if you have a 2.0 port. Those will be the black ones. Don't plug it or your receiver into a USB hub, or 3.0 port. On some boards, once the BIOS has been completely reset, it won't recognize the keyboard that way.

Your best bet would be to try a basic wired keyboard. It's what I have to do everytime. If you have a PS2 keyboard, or can borrow one, that usually works as well, but even a basic wired model that is USB 2.0 should work for you.
Yeah that seems like a last resort, a native PS2 keybaord.

USB to PS2 adapters have never worked for me. Ever. Not even back when most boards had PS2 ports and they were standard equipment that was far more common than USB.

I'm telling you, even on my MUCH newer than yours Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5, the BIOS simply does not like my Microsoft natural ergonomic 4000 keyboard if I completely clear the CMOS settings in the BIOS and I have to use my Microsoft comfort curve 3000. Why does one work and not the other? I don't know. I have no idea. But I suspect it is due to the advanced design and nature of the Ergonomic 4000 that has a lot more bells and whistles on it than the Curve 3000, much as your Corsair keyboard is likely much more advanced and may simply not be well supported without full USB initialization in the BIOS being first enabled.

Solution
Jun 3, 2020
A little late here to respond back.
Here's how I partially fixed this:
Before following these steps, let me tell you guys that PS/2 keybaord worked perfectly for me to enter BIOS. The keybaord arrived the next day after I ordered it on Amazon. But doing the following I managed to get my PC running like normal without PS2 keyboard over the night.
Note: I am still unable to use USB keyboard in the BIOS. However, my ordinary USB mouse works in the BIOS. Just like Darbreeze above said it might be because of the keyboard being an advanced one, might not be working in BIOS. And yes, USB legacy support was turned on by default.

1. I removed every USB device (including the keyboard) from the board.
  2. After the PC boots up and this American Megatrends screen shows up, I pressed the memory test button on the board (some boards don't have this button, I don't what to say about those).
  3. The PC shuts down and restarts itself afterwards.
  4. This time the American Megatrends shows up, but it doesn't say to setup BIOS. Instead it says keybaord not found along with saying memory test successful and the screen disappears itself after a while.
  5. Now the system tries to load Windows. In my case, somehow, Windows got coruppt. So, I used a bootable USB to install Windows.
5.1 The system tries to boot from my SSD first. So what I did to make it boot from USB drive instead, I removed the SATA cable of SSD from the board before the Asus logo screen shows up. As the screen shows up, I replugged the SATA cable of SSD back to board. Now system boots from USB instead and I can see my SSD in Windows setup.
5.2 Windows setup might give an error during installation. If that happens, switch RAM DIMM to alternate positions (or in my case I just used a single RAM module).

TRENDING THREADS