Question PLEASE HELP 100% Cpu usage when gaming just started!!!

Jan 22, 2020
can someone help me i have an i5-8400 and an Rx 580 with 16 ddr4 had this pc for almost 2 years and this is first problem i have had 100% cpu and only 70-75% gpu sometimes both max at 100% temps on both are great cpu load max i have seen is 65c and gpu 75c i get like 1.5 seconds worth of lag and stutters i think it might have somthing todo with the last windows update i have tried everything i know to. Please Help would be greatly appreciated this just started happening

i play games like apex fortnite R6 Cod MW Cs and i have never seen it go up that high before it may sound crazy but it like just instantly started happening like i said i believe after i did windows update last week i get 144+ fps in all those title apex and cod the lowest is 90 that my fps dips down to and those are on competitive settings relatively lower and i get like split second lag spikes or stutters and only happens when cpu hits 100 it does go up and down alot i was watching it last night go from 50 to 85 to 75 to 92 and as soon as it hit 100 for a second or 2 lag spike and then back to normal while fps is still in 100+ i have checked task manager and there is nothing else running that is using any were close to high cpu the game its self though fluctuates with those numbers sorry for long post

dirkrgriebel54

Prominent
Mar 21, 2018
Check for viruses. Bit miners are insane these days. Check with adwcleaner, Malwarebytes, and BitDefender to be save. You've had it for a long time and I think it's time to check. Do full scans with all and I bet you will find something bad.

If nothing is found report back and send me a pic of the task manager.

Jan 22, 2020
Check for viruses. Bit miners are insane these days. Check with adwcleaner, Malwarebytes, and BitDefender to be save. You've had it for a long time and I think it's time to check. Do full scans with all and I bet you will find something bad.

If nothing is found report back and send me a pic of the task manager.
sorry it took so long to reply back im currently still at school im in IT and i was talking to my professor and showed him a video i took last night while monitoring it and the task manger and the symptoms i was having and he had dealt with what sounds like the exact same thing as me and thinks the system is thermal throttling and needs to be cleaned and reapplied, but i will definitely check for malware before doing so just to see. Thanks for the reply any more thoughts?

Jan 22, 2020
Throttling can cause that i suppose, however if your CPU temps are only 75c, your CPU is not throttling.

Run malwarebytes and a good antivirus to test for naughty programs that may be hogging CPU.
i understand what you are saying but when a cpu is thermal throttling the mobo sets its speed lower so it can generate less heat and cool down right? i guess depending on the hardware. so if you were playing a say cpu intensive game it would cause it to spike up quicker but since the mobo is slowing the speeds down before it hits that overheat point does temps not stay relatively same since its downgrading performance and staying cool? Just curious thanks for the reply i will def do that

Jan 23, 2020
Do you have a special cooler or just a stock one? Also, does your case allow for good airflow? If it's not a virus and you are going through the trouble of cleaning and reapplying thermal paste you might want to install a better CPU cooler or extra case fan, for example, an intake fan and exhaust fan.

Jan 22, 2020
Do you have a special cooler or just a stock one? Also, does your case allow for good airflow? If it's not a virus and you are going through the trouble of cleaning and reapplying thermal paste you might want to install a better CPU cooler or extra case fan, for example, an intake fan and exhaust fan.
i have a stock cooler which i know is not as good my case has 4 fans 3 front 1 back which i have already started looking for a new cpu cooler i also plan to upgrade to an i5-9600k or a Ryzen 5 3600 very very soon but i still would like to know whats going on currently. this literally started happening this past weekend after i did a windows update not sure if thats it or not im about to scan for malware so ill update when i get done and thinks to everyone who is trying to help!!!

Jan 22, 2020
The CPU will start to lower clock speeds around 95-100°c to prevent overheating. At 75c your processor is not hot enough for this to occur.

Try malwarebytes
ok so i tried malware bytes and i was shocked to see it found 13 files so i got rid of them and i dont seem to hit it as much when gaming but i do still occasionally hit 100% the lag is not there anymore but i just turned on my pc and ran it so i dont how it feels after hrs of playing and i only tried apex bout to post images of task manager

Jan 22, 2020
ok update...so i tried malware bytes as 13 files came up and i removed them its definitely gone down as it stays anywere from the 50s to 80% which is better...in conclusion i feel as if its time for an upgrade the i5-8400 i feel just isnt gonna cut it much longer and i think battle royale games just may need a little more cpu space anyways thanks for all the help and responses i got from everyone i appreciate it and have a good day!

Last edited:

dirkrgriebel54

Prominent
Mar 21, 2018
This is why we scan guys. Make sure to scan with everything else as well. We gotta be extra careful. Also rootkits... Check them!

Don't worry. I know it not your CPU. If it gets too bad reinstall windows. An i5-8400 is still a workhorse today. So I still think you should check it a couple of times if you messed something or something was hiding. As well as check with everything listed.

Please check in with bleepingcomputer.com and make a scan with FRST. I'm not sure it's clean yet. They do not mess around... Anyways, have fun!

Reactions: RoguesHyper