Please help am really worried

amalts01

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012
Guys all my programs opened suddenly i was typing then of a sudden all my installed programs opened suddenly i don't know why this happened and my antivirus can't download any updates from server i am really worried if my computer is hacked or something please help me i have personal files in my computer please help. Help needed fast thanks.

Solution

amalts01

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012

yes i rebooted and reinstalled my antivirus and now my antivirus can download updates but i worried if someone hacked or something how can i make sure i am not is there a way that you know of ? thanks

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

I doubt if you'd be able to tell if you were hacked. Do you have valuable files on your PC that someone would risk jail time to get?
The best recommendation I can make is if you think you've been hacked is change your passwords and pay attention to your banking/ credit statements.

More than likely you hit the right keystrokes or your machine experienced a hiccup which caused your problems.

amalts01

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012

some personal photos and something and i currently can't backup those.....so you think it's not big of an issue maybe just a hiccup ?

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

I'd run a virus and malware check along with a scan for rootkits to be on the safe side. If the checks come back clean I wouldn't sweat it.
I would also run a memtest overnight.
I've had weird things happen over the years to my PCs, some of them were a one time occurrence warranting no further action. One bit wrong can really throw things into disarray.

amalts01

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012

i am using eset nod32 antivirus and doing a full scan is that good enough ? and i don't know how to memtest. Do i need to keep worrying or am i fine ?

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

I'm not familiar with eset nod32, I run AVG and never have had an issue.
Note: Do NOT run two antivirus programs at the same time.
Regarding malware, I use MalwareBytes to scan for potential trouble.

You can get memtest here
http://www.memtest86.com/
It's free and it will make a bootable USB/ CD for you to boot from to test the memory.

As I mentioned earlier, I'd test and go from there.

Solution

But that's precisely step#1 toward the cure.

The bad guys comes in through the front door, step#1, shut that &^$( front door so no new bad guys can't get in and bad guys already inside can't take your money out.

What do you want from us, you got a obvious virus.

How important are your data, really? bank accounts? state secret? something FBI shouldn't find out?

Can't backup you say... uh-oh.

You want assurance nothing happened, tell you everything is fine? NOPE. I don't think so.

Step#1, disconnect Internet.
Step#2, backup.
Step#3, cleanup, desinfect.

But if you can't, you can't. We are stuck at home plate, can't even get to first base.