PLEASE HELP:I think i killed my Motherboard by Oc'ing

Vespasian XIII

Reputable
May 10, 2017
Hi guys
Many thanks for reading

I built my pc just over 3 years ago and it is struggling to perform on certain games like Rainbow Six Siege, despite it meeting the minimum and nearly the recommended hardware. So being the impatient idiot i am, i overclocked, or at least tried to overclock my GPU using MSI Afterburner, i followed the instructions of increasing the amount in increments of 25 and increased it by only about 75 and realised nothing was changing so i figured i was doing something wrong and i should just leave it.

I reset it to my normal settings, closed it and continued to play non heavy performance games and turned it off. The following morning when i tried to turn it on, the mouse and keyboard was not working. The lights come on for both when i initially turn it on during the BIOS but turn off as soon as i get to the password screen.

I went to the local PC shop and asked the man what he thinks and he said i might have killed my motherboard, and the quickest way to test is is to take the motherboard battery out and reset the bios.
So i took the battery out, left it out for 10 mins, put it back in and the mouse and keyboard worked during the BIOS but as soon as i got to the password screen the lights go off again and they are unresponsive.

So i spoke to my friend who deals with computers and he said take the GPU out and force it to work on the integrated graphics to test whether its a matter of lack of power. So i did that but the same problem occurred.
He also suggested to start up the computer without a keyboard and mouse in the sockets, and then put them in when i get to the password screen but that didnt work either.

Would anybody be able to give any suggestions or information that could aid me please?
Is it my motherboard which is dead?

Should i go to the PC man and ask him to lend me a compatible motherboard for some money to test it out? Or is that a waste of money and i should outright buy a new motherboard because it is 100% the faulty item?

Many thanks!!!!

Specs
CPU- Intel Core i5 4570
GPU 2GB MSI GTX760 TwinFrozr OC
RAM 8gb Corsair
Motherboard Asus B85M-G Micro-ATX
600w Power Supply

Solution
If it's working fine before you get to the log on screen and then fails, it sounds to me like a driver issue and not a faulty part at all.

Are you running windows 10, if so, try and boot safe mode, or try and boot to recovery using the disk or USB containing windows and reset the pc, this will wipe most of the contents of your drive, there are other things you can do like launch an elevated command prompt and type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows to try and fix errors, and check integrity of windows files, D being the drive where windows is installed as you are currently booting off USB or dvd, you don't want to be scanning those, Overclocking if not done right can easily corrupt things and it's usually the drivers...

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
If it's working fine before you get to the log on screen and then fails, it sounds to me like a driver issue and not a faulty part at all.

Are you running windows 10, if so, try and boot safe mode, or try and boot to recovery using the disk or USB containing windows and reset the pc, this will wipe most of the contents of your drive, there are other things you can do like launch an elevated command prompt and type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows to try and fix errors, and check integrity of windows files, D being the drive where windows is installed as you are currently booting off USB or dvd, you don't want to be scanning those, Overclocking if not done right can easily corrupt things and it's usually the drivers that get hit first.

Solution

Kingshuk2003

Prominent
May 29, 2017
OOVERCLOCKING IS A VERY DANGEROUS AND RISKY STEP
ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IF DONE WITHOUT PROPER KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
and JUDGING BY YOUR WAY OF TALKING YOUM SEEM ALITTLE BIT NERVOUS
dont worry it happened with me when it tried to Oc my amd phenom to 4.2 GHz and the same thing was happening log on screen and then shut down
thankful after a complete wipe out and reinstalling windows xp everything was working fine with graphics card that time i had some ancient ati card hten i updated the drivers and boom everything was fine again

that was in 2009

TRENDING THREADS