[SOLVED] Please help me!!! (2080 SUPER FPS ISSUES)

Dec 9, 2019
Hey, guys, I'm hoping someone could help me out here. I recently upgraded to an EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra Gaming card from a 1080 and was hoping to get a crazy fps boost but my frames are around 75-90 fps in modern warfare at maxed-out settings running 1440p. On my 1080 I was getting about 60-70 fps but I assumed I would get to at least the monitors 144hz rate with the new card. I've tried all these oc settings for all my parts but it hasn't really had an effect on the fps that's consistent. My gpu never goes above 70c and my cpu doesnt go above 60c so i dont think it would be throttling from the heat. heres a list of my parts:

i7-8700k (4.7ghz)
EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra
g skill 16gb (3200mhz)
evga 650w gold rating psu
2* samsung 500gb ssd
1* hdd 2tb

let me know if there's any test you guys would like me to take or questions about my pc. I'm just trying to get the highest fps without sacrificing too much quality in games. I attached an image of my hwinfo results View: https://imgur.com/a/CMqXEOB

Solution
well I only had a 1080 not a TI and since they are practically the same price i just went with the newer one
You thought correctly. Yet you have to understand that a 1080 Ti although a beast, can not perform 1440p/144Hz with max settings in AAA games. Not even the 2080 Ti can. MAYBE the next gen 3080 Ti will and after 1 year there would be AAA games that will not get 144Hz.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You've set the bar a little too high...

-Motherboard drivers up to date?
-Bios updated?
-Windows updated and running high performance plan?
-Windows Game Bar and Game Mode disabled?
-Scan your PC for malware: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

-Nvidia Control Panel > Adjust image settings with preview, select Use the advanced 3D image settings, click Take me there, and make the following changes:
Power management mode: Either Adaptive or Max Power
Texture filtering - Quality: High performance
Vertical sync: Off
Make sure to hit Apply.

Dec 9, 2019
You've set the bar a little too high...

-Motherboard drivers up to date?
-Bios updated?
-Windows updated and running high performance plan?
-Windows Game Bar and Game Mode disabled?
-Scan your PC for malware: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

-Nvidia Control Panel > Adjust image settings with preview, select Use the advanced 3D image settings, click Take me there, and make the following changes:
Power management mode: Either Adaptive or Max Power
Texture filtering - Quality: High performance
Vertical sync: Off
Make sure to hit Apply.
all thats been done except the game bar and game mode one, ill try disabling that see how it goes

I reset my pc before i intalled the new card but maybe it kept the old driver after the install since i kept most of my old files. I'll try using DDU and see what happens.

Resetting a PC is in my opinion useless. You either clean install OS and drivers or you do not do anything. Use DDU following this guide: How To - How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers. | Tom's Hardware Forum

For the price, I would have hoped to get a better performance to be honest.

RTX 2080 has almost identical performance with a GTX 1080 Ti. Maybe you should have watched a review, benchmarks etc before buying.

Dec 9, 2019
Resetting a PC is in my opinion useless. You either clean install OS and drivers or you do not do anything. Use DDU following this guide: How To - How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers. | Tom's Hardware Forum

RTX 2080 has almost identical performance with a GTX 1080 Ti. Maybe you should have watched a review, benchmarks etc before buying.
well I only had a 1080 not a TI and since they are practically the same price i just went with the newer one

You thought correctly. Yet you have to understand that a 1080 Ti although a beast, can not perform 1440p/144Hz with max settings in AAA games. Not even the 2080 Ti can. MAYBE the next gen 3080 Ti will and after 1 year there would be AAA games that will not get 144Hz.

Solution
Dec 9, 2019
hmm I guess thats true. I looked at all these benchmarks for this card but they might have been running it at lower settings than i am. Guess my expectations were too high

Reactions: sizzling
I do want to note that when I had the 1080 I was getting 60-70 playing 4k on my old monitor, thats why i assumed I would get more

Considering the 2080 Super is approx 35% faster than the 1080 at 1440p gaming.

Your 60-70 fps times 35% = 21-24.5 fps. 60-70 fps + 21-24.5 = 81 to 94.5 fps with the 2080 super.

To get your fps at a stable 144 fps you would need a card that is 150% faster than a 1080. Not happening. Yet ;)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Are you running game with any antialiasing turned on? Im on a 1440p monitor as well and picture quality is good enough for me personally i don't need image enhances so i turn those settings off. Antialiasing can decrease frame rates.

Check if there's a resolution scale option in-game as well and if use Geforce Experience to optimise, check this option is still on the default setting. Most modern games have resolution scale setting increasing image quality similar to DSR. Resolution scaling and antialiasing are performance hogs.

Dec 9, 2019
ya i think im going to have to turn some of my settings down if i want the frames I have in mind. Silly me to think i can run everything on max with ray tracing and get 144fps on 2k with this card. I almost broke my pc updating the bios earlier but i fixed it. Now im on the latest bios, turned off some of the settings in control panel, and fine tuned my gpu and i got an improvement on 3dmark from before

OLD
3dmark.com/3dm/41771591?

NEW
3dmark.com/3dm/41779353?

Dec 9, 2019
Hey guys so I after playing cod I'm actually getting consistent 120-130fps with everything maxed and ray tracing on. This is more than I would have expected. After trying all that it looks great. Also what would you guys suggest for cooling options that dont require much install? I currently have the stock fans that came with the case which is h700i and the fans arent too bad. Check the case out and itll tell you the fans. The fans on the gpu already run 90% at 65c. I'm thinking of getting some corsair fans that provide more airflow but idk if that would be worth it and how much of a boost itll give. These are the ones I'm looking at Corsair ML120 Pro LED, Blue, 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Cooling Fan CO-9050043-WW

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
New fans won't change much because Corsair's Hx00 cases do not excel in thermal performance. That was not the focus of all those nearly identical models - it was appearance.
Thermal performance is 'just ok' in them.

If you want to see a significant drop in temps for that case - at least for the gpu - you'll have to go the liquid cooling route, and do a full custom loop, or something like a Kraken G12 mount + Kraken X52/62/72 on that 2080 Super.

Dec 9, 2019
I was going to get those magnetic fans because my fans have a max rpm of 1200 while the corsair ones have a 2000rpm so i thought that might help. Are there any fans you guys would suggest? higher rpms are better right? I dont really care about the noise honestly. Im not looking to spends hundreds on a custom water cooler, a couple degrees cooler is pretty much all im looking for

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
higher rpms are better right?
Not always.
There's CFM, Static Pressure, and noise... but the manufacturers only seem to post those specifications for a fan's maximum rpm. They will be lower when running lower than that.
Then there's the fan curves for said fans, which far too few manufacturers post diagrams for. Some fans are stronger than others at the lower rpm range, but you won't know which from just looking at their specs.
Let's compare the current case fans with the 2000rpm Corsair fans you're considering as an example:

Aer F120
Speed: 1200 + 200 RPM
Airflow: 50.42 CFM
Noise: 28 dBA

ML120 Pro:
Speed: 400 - 2400 RPM
Airflow: 75 CFM
Noise: 37 dBA

From just looking at the specs, the MLs blow away the Aers at max rpm, but a significantly more noise, and people seldom run their fans at 100% all the time, unless they're using fans with low rpms, like the Aer F120s.
Obviously, you'd run the MLs at a lower rpm, until you actually need that horsepower. There shouldn't be much reason to run the Aers lower though.
The Aers are pulling more air than the MLs also running at 1200rpm(that's their max anyway).

If you're sure you won't mind the extra noise created by the MLs, go ahead and put some in the front panel, but you'll have to run them at the higher rpms at least, to see any benefit.