Please help me find the bottleneck.

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Fps is tanking and neither gpu nor cpu usage is anywhere close to 100%

What other factors could a use such issue?

It's gta5.

I am eliminating gpu from test by selecting lowest possible settings with lowest 800x600 resolution.

Installed on ssd.

16Gb RAM.

Yet I can't surpass 48fps in certain map areas with fx 8370 @4.7GHz? There are no heat issues.

So frustrated!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So, the CPU doesn't hit 100%, yet it's overheating?

This suggests to me that the cooling solution might be inadequate, and thus the CPU starts throttling. However, if it started throttling, then it should be hitting 100% because it's forced to run slower.

What you describe is kind of baffling.

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Yeah. It dips to 48 fps no matter what gpu settings I choose. 800x600 lowest is the same as 1080p mix high/ultra.

Always in same area of map. Where the camera points matters. Aim at horizon 48 fps. Aim at floor 140fps.

Very odd behaviour.

Can a RAM problem cause this sort of issue?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think a legitimate RAM problem would be more catastrophic than that. I've never played GTA 5 but you have more than enough RAM for it.

I am not familiar enough with the game to know how draw distance might affect things, so I'm hoping that maybe someone else will jump in with suggestions.

I don't know if there are other forums that are specific for troubleshooing issues with GTA 5, but if such exist, it might help there.

I'm assuming other games don't give you this sort of behavior?

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
I have had similar on Railway empire. Certain (once I find them, its always present) spots on the map where fps just crash for no valid reason.

So, it aint temp related - its map area related.

possibly number of assets shown on screen? But, then by eliminating the gpu as a bottleneck (by selecting the extreme lowest settings) the problem isnt drawing them.

the CPU has to tell the gpu what to draw though, right? Bt if its CPU related why are none of my cores passing 80%

Now, I know my cores can surpass 80% in game. Using app to hack the threads and assign to specific cores (was fun seeing gta5 on one fx8370 core!) I can achieve 100% and see the associated stutter induced by everything waiting for the cpu to churn through its list of things to do.

Its just odd.

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
M5A99FX Pro 2.0

No, no cores surpass, say, 80%. But, mainly fluctuate between 55% and 65% - As, I said, I can get the cores to 100%, by loading the threads together by external app. So, it's not like my cpu is incapable of 100%. I mean I stress test it lots, 100% full load temps never a problem. Socket or core. 120mm on VRM, 80mm on South Bridge.

All BIOS power saving options disbled, game on SSD, win7 power option selected high performance, cores unparked, pre fetch disbaled etc.

I really dont know what to think.

I'm going to OBS some video footage so people can actually see what I am seeing...

GPU is like 30% due to nature of low settings.

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Core voltage and cpu freq is stable in CPU-Z.

In game, look at horizon = 48fps
Look at floor = 108fps

I'm giving up now. Spent more time trying to get 60 fps stable than playing!

I can lock it to 50 Hz display with vsync it's smooth, rarely dip below. Plus I get to crank the mxaa up as gpu usage is so low.

Not a win, but I'm tired of this rabbit hole.

Thanks for all your thoughts

TRENDING THREADS