First, my computer specs-
i5-3570k(never overclocked yet)
MSI-z77-G43A motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws 1333mhzx16gigs(2x8gig)
Gigabyte GTX 970
Samsung 840 pro SSDx256 gigs
Rosewill 650 watt PSU
Rosewill Challenger U3 Case

Ok so about 2 weeks ago i noticed my computer would start to reboot about once a day or so. I figured it was some background program updating or something and causing it so I didnt worry about it.

Than last sunday I came back and my computer would not boot/post. It would fire up, spin the fans for about 5 seconds, then shut down and reboot again, over and over and over. Figuring I was planning on getting a new PSU anyway. So i pulled the PSU out of the computer and put it into another computer I happened to have that I was working on for a friend, a Dell Inspiron somethin whatever. It only needed 1 4 pin cpu power connecter instead of 2, and it ran DDR2 memory...it was an AMD board and im sorry im not that familier with AMD(at all)

Anyway, I plugged in the powersupply to the Dell and it powered up just fine. Boot, post, everything. So I figured the PSU was good and the motherboard had died. It being an entry-level MSI board 2 years old, I figured it was very possible. So I scrounged around and managed to find an Asus P8Z77-V motherboard on newegg for 50 bucks. Ordered, arrived, installed.

Nothing. No bueno. Same problem as old motherboard. Now I'm really thinking its the PSU. So I run down to Fry's and buy an antec 850 HCG that happened to be on sale for 75 bucks(thank you Jesus). Pretty nice PSU, much better than the old rosewill PoS, and I needed a new one anyway.

Bring it back home, rebuild computer with new PSU and Asus motherboard, fire it up, bam, everythings fine. Ran for about 8 hours last night.

THEN this morning I go to fire it up, boots up to windows. Cool. I plug in my usb 3,.0 external HDD. Instant freeze. Reboot, wont post. Commence hair pulling out and much crying and gnashing of teeth.

So I pull everything out except the memory, CPU, and keyboard/mouse. Fire up, get it to post, go into bios. Bios keeps freezing aboiut 25 seconds in. Reset bios, finally get it to post, same thing.

Pull out memory modules one at a time and get it to post. I burned a copy of memtest 86+ onto a thumbdrive and run memtest.

So heres where I'm at now-

ONE memory module will not post at all. Motherboard fires up but will not output ANY video on ANY output.

THE OTHER memory module WILL post, gets into bios, whole nine yards, but still random freezes. I got memtest 86+ to test it, and it freezes in the middle of test #6 with over 80 errors.

So now I'm thinking its the memory. Just for S*** and giggles, I decide to fire up the old motherboard, the MSI z77-g43a with the new PSU. Sure enough, IT FIRES RIGHT UP. Running memory test on BOTH memory modules right now. -Froze during test #7-*

*(Apprarently their is a programming error in using multi-cores with memtest 86+. Running the program in single core mode fixes the issue, and it passes test #7)

So thats where I'm at and I'm wondering if I missed something. Obviously I think theres a couple of possibilities-

1)Asus motherboard is bad
2)Memory is bad
3)CPU is bad(I think this is unlikely as temps never reach more than 50 degrees C)
4)Memory campatibility issue between G.Skill memory and Asus motherboard(this is plausible because I dont believe the memory is on their "approved vendor "list. However the memory is not on MSI's either and it works fine

The msi board(the original board I had thought was bad) appears to be working with the new PSU. Im going to continue to run memtest(seems 24 hours would be a good measure).

Is there anything else I missed or any other tests I can run? I'm thinking of returning the asus board but I'm really skeptical the MSI board is truly good. Ironically as of now it appears to be functioning better than the asus board.

yes I breadboarded both motherboards before putting them in the case as well.

Thanks in advance for your time guys and sorry for the lengthy post.

Solution
Sorry it was my mistake I meant the 4.2 version. That is the proper site to get it from.

Just because the settings are at the default position does not mean that they are set correctly. This means that default is not a fail safe setting. Make sure your ram voltage, speed and timings are set to the manufactures specs (in your case G.Skill's modules rated speed, timing and voltage. Sometimes a slight bump in voltage may be necessary to become stable but this is a case by case issue).
I think you are on the right path with the memory being the issue.

What version of memtest86+ are you using? there is a version number at the top of the test window.

Version 5.01 will run 1 test then slow dramatically causing it to take close to 24 hours to run another pass where as version 4.31 can run pass after pass with very little slow down.

THe multi threaded test for Memtest86+ freezes on most systems so use just the single core test. You are correct that it has a bug in it.

It is also possible you have a bad setting in the bios causing the issue.

kermdawg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using 5.0.1. The other version I see to download is 4.2, I dont see 4.3.1 on their download site. This is the website I got it from

All bios settings I BELIEVE are at fail safe, I will make sure of that but I'm pretty darn sure everything is at failsafe default.

edit-update-downloaded and currently running version 4.3.7

Sorry it was my mistake I meant the 4.2 version. That is the proper site to get it from.

Just because the settings are at the default position does not mean that they are set correctly. This means that default is not a fail safe setting. Make sure your ram voltage, speed and timings are set to the manufactures specs (in your case G.Skill's modules rated speed, timing and voltage. Sometimes a slight bump in voltage may be necessary to become stable but this is a case by case issue).

Solution

kermdawg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Update-both modules have passed first passed of memtest 86+ 4.3.7. Strongly suspecting the Asus motherboard wasn't auto-detecting settings/timings as Bgunner said. I am going to run one more pass of memtest and then try the asus motherboard again and manually set the timings.

kermdawg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
update-Memory passed memtest on BOTH motherboards. It would indeed appear Asus's auto-detection settings were bad. However, reinstalling the memory modules and resetting bios this time the modules were detected correctly and working fine.

It would appear that the original problem with the MSI board was a bad PSU, and the problem with the Asus board was bad bios settings.

Not a big deal, I'm only out 50 bucks, and I have a backup board. You know what that means..time to overclock the hell outta this sucker!!

Thanks for the help guys.