[SOLVED] Please help me remove my graphics card

Lance_Lionroar

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
I have been sitting in front of my computer for an hour. I'm losing my mind here. I'm trying to remove my graphics card to have access to my motherboard to grab a loose screw, and I can not find the clip that you press to release the graphics card. I already unscrewed it.

My motherboard is B450 Gaming Carbon AC, my graphics card is the RTX 2070s. I would send a picture of the position I'm in but I'm having difficulty with my phone. A picture showing me where it is would be appreciated. It seems like it's somewhere I can't reach. I also don't have access to the manual right now.

<Mod Edit, Language>

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
So, couple of things.

You DID remove ALL of the screws holding the graphics card to the back panel, yes? There could be two or three of them depending on the card model.

Then, once you have all those screws removed, and WHILE you are pressing down on the PCI lock (Meaning pushing it towards the board. And don't use a screwdriver. Use something that won't gouge a big gash in your board if it slips off, like maybe the eraser end of a pencil) try taking hold of the graphics card just slightly past midway towards the back of the case and then gently pulling upwards on the card at the case end, then gently rocking end to end as you pull up. Unless you have somehow broken the PCI lock, it should come right out.

Lance_Lionroar

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
Right there: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC/Gallery#lg=1&slide=1

You'll probably need something like a flathead screwdriver to press down on it from the m.2 ssd side where the card will be thinner.
No matter how hard I pressed on it, it did not budge. I decided to leave the graphics card in place and tried installing the M.2 SSD like that. I could not reach enough to screw it in properly, so I left the SSD unscrewed. It still worked so I just gave up and closed the case.

No matter how hard I pressed on it, it did not budge. I decided to leave the graphics card in place and tried installing the M.2 SSD like that. I could not reach enough to screw it in properly, so I left the SSD unscrewed. It still worked so I just gave up and closed the case.
That is a recipe for another thread later, where you come back to ask why your SSD has failed, after it gets loose and then shorts out.

Lance_Lionroar

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
That is a recipe for another thread later, where you come back to ask why your SSD has failed, after it gets loose and then shorts out.
I was just having a bad time. I'm gonna try again soon. I don't know what it is with this motherboard but that clip will not budge at all. I'm scared of damaging my mobo or graphics card flailing around or something. My hands are constantly shaky too, not sure what to do.

And no, I don't know anyone who can help me at this time so I need to do this on my own.

So, couple of things.

You DID remove ALL of the screws holding the graphics card to the back panel, yes? There could be two or three of them depending on the card model.

Then, once you have all those screws removed, and WHILE you are pressing down on the PCI lock (Meaning pushing it towards the board. And don't use a screwdriver. Use something that won't gouge a big gash in your board if it slips off, like maybe the eraser end of a pencil) try taking hold of the graphics card just slightly past midway towards the back of the case and then gently pulling upwards on the card at the case end, then gently rocking end to end as you pull up. Unless you have somehow broken the PCI lock, it should come right out.

Solution

Lance_Lionroar

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
So, final update: I still never managed to pull the graphics card out, but I don't need to anymore.

I managed to somehow work my fingers around it and screwed in my new M.2 SSD correctly, leaving no loose ends behind. I can now hopefully move on with my life. Darkbreeze, you deserve the best solution trophy for your attempt at helping me in my time of desperation, and pushing me to do it right and not leave something loose inside. I appreciate it.

As I was locking everything back up, I did notice that I only took out 2 screws from the back and there was one left, however from the looks of things it doesn't seem to be attached to the graphics card, so I don't know. Maybe I am wrong and all screws need to be removed regardless. If I had kept going I was just gonna forcibly pull the graphics card out and break something since the clip was not moving at all no matter what movement I did.

Glad you got it sorted, however, if, when you next have a need to remove the graphics card, you only need to remove the screws on the back panel that you can see are attached to the bracket that is part of the graphics card. Any screws that are only holding I/O slot covers in place that are separate from the bracket that holds the graphics card in place do not need to be removed. And when you go to remove it, be sure to NOT just pull it straight up with force and break something. Rock it back and forth along the plane of the PCI slot. That will usually allow one end or the other to come free making it much easier to then, while continuing to gently rock it front to back, pull up and remove the card.

Good luck Lance and don't forget to now push back down on the graphics card to make sure it is fully seated back in the PCI slot and the lock is engaged with the tang at the bottom of the card, and to put the two rear screws back in. Take care.