ligonsker

Commendable
Dec 19, 2019
I have a Lenovo Legion Y530-15ICH with the following specs:

-CPU: Intel i7-8750H
-RAM: 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
-GPU: GTX 1050Ti 4GB
-STORAGE: 1TB(5400/rpm) HDD + 128G M.2 PCIE 2242 SSD

This is a gaming laptop, but I thought it would be suitable for 3d softwares such as: Revit, 3ds Max, Autocad and more.
However, the computer always gets stuck and doesn't work when I start to work with these softwares. I am not sure what is the problem, can you help me diagnose? I suspect the following:
  1. These softwares use the GPU and CPU 100% all time making it thermal throttle causing it to stuck (laptops have bad cooling)
  2. The dual storage (SSD + HDD) is causing trouble from some reason
  3. The dual graphics (Intel and Nvidia) don't work well together
  4. The Windows 10 installation is bad (Someone installed it badly, or it's not genuine? can it be a culprit as well or it doesn't matter?)
Do you have any other possibilities as to why the laptop gets stuck? If so, let me know, and tell me what is the best way to troubleshoot the options above, or whatever reason you suggest me

Thanks!

What exactly is "getting stuck" mean? Does it lock-up in the display with mouse not moving and no keyboard? Does it shut off, screen goes black, etc...? Does it happen when several programs are running or is starting any of them cause this issue? Need details as to exactly what is happening. If you are asking about the Windows 10 setup not being genuine, did you get this system used?

Reactions: ligonsker

ligonsker

Commendable
Dec 19, 2019
The screen goes black in the editing area for a few seconds then it comes back to normal, or it gets super slow for a second or two while editing. Also, Autocad crashes with "send report message"

*Edit: when I open task manager while using these softwares, I see usage percentage by both GPUs: Intel and 1050Ti.. is it a problem? Shouldn't 1050Ti be the only GPU that's in use?

Last edited:
I would get a larger SSD for that system, I am guessing your programs and storage is on the much slower 5400 rpm drive. Get an SSD and replace that slow drive. Don't know about the video card usage, you would have to check with the program vendor.

Does this screen going blank happen booth on wall power and battery? Going slow for a second or screen going blank is not really a big issue unless it happens often. Do you have other programs running when using Autocad?

AlexN.Q

Reputable
May 24, 2019
Is your laptop new or second-hand?
Try and move one of your program on to the SSD and see if there is any changes.
Check and see if your power plan is set to high performance.