[SOLVED] PLEASE HELP New build won't post, Motherboard or CPU issue???

Feb 12, 2022
Hi all. So I just 'completed' my first build and upon booting the system the only thing that would turn on was the RGB on the motherboard, the lcd screen on my Corsair h150i elite LCD aio, and anything plugged into the back of the motherboard (mouse, keyboard). Neither the ram nor case fans lit up, including the ones on the aio. Furthermore, the LCD display on the AIO was displaying an error screen with a red triangle and an exclamation point in the middle.

I took everything apart and reassembled it out of the case to test and attempt to trouble shoot the system. I had the same result. I read on a forum post that I should attempt to boot up the motherboard with only the cpu, cpu cooler and motherboard plugged into the power supply to test for Bios beeps and hopefully rule out any serious issues with the cpu or motherboard. I proceeded to do so and got NO bios beeps which seemingly confirms an issue with the motherboard, cpu or psu according to the forum.

I am at a complete loss of what to do next or even how to pinpoint what the exact issue is. I would appreciate ANY advice on what my next move should be or if I should take further steps to trouble shoot.

Here are my parts for reference:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x-570 E Gaming Wifi II
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: Geforce RTX 3070 ti founders edition
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
CPU Cooler: Corsair ICUE H150i elite LCD
Case fans: Corsair QL 120 (x6)
PSU: Corsair RMx series RM850x

Thank you so much for the time, cheers.

Solution
The motherboard does not have a built in speaker, so don't assume that no beeps = mobo failure. Your motherboard Does have diagnostic leds, and thats your first clue. Where does it hang up.

Most commonly for a Ryzen mobo with any RTX3xxx card is VGA. Most times that's fixed by moving the card to the secondary slot for a couple of reboots, sets the pcie necessary in bios.

Sometimes it stops on RAM, that's generally ram not seated fully, or just needs a few reboots to train the memory controller and ram timings. Cpu can be just about anything else, even damage from a bent pin.

AIO and many rgb lights are software controlled, so don't just automatically turn on at first boot. Not until you enable the lighting and settings in windows.
Feb 12, 2022
UPDATE:

So I realized that the error screen on the LCD display probably doesn't mean much, as it directly plugs in to the power supply. I believe it's getting power to turn on, BUT it is not getting any feedback from the components plugged into the motherboard (AIO, cpu), hence the error sign.

This leads me to believe that the motherboard could be at the core of the issue, as it's not allowing anything to turn on. Could it still be an issue with the power supply or cpu? Any further insight would be appreciated as to what could be causing this. Thank you

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The motherboard does not have a built in speaker, so don't assume that no beeps = mobo failure. Your motherboard Does have diagnostic leds, and thats your first clue. Where does it hang up.

Most commonly for a Ryzen mobo with any RTX3xxx card is VGA. Most times that's fixed by moving the card to the secondary slot for a couple of reboots, sets the pcie necessary in bios.

Sometimes it stops on RAM, that's generally ram not seated fully, or just needs a few reboots to train the memory controller and ram timings. Cpu can be just about anything else, even damage from a bent pin.

AIO and many rgb lights are software controlled, so don't just automatically turn on at first boot. Not until you enable the lighting and settings in windows.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all. So I just 'completed' my first build and upon booting the system the only thing that would turn on was the RGB on the motherboard, the lcd screen on my Corsair h150i elite LCD aio, and anything plugged into the back of the motherboard (mouse, keyboard). Neither the ram nor case fans lit up, including the ones on the aio. Furthermore, the LCD display on the AIO was displaying an error screen with a red triangle and an exclamation point in the middle.

I took everything apart and reassembled it out of the case to test and attempt to trouble shoot the system. I had the same result. I read on a forum post that I should attempt to boot up the motherboard with only the cpu, cpu cooler and motherboard plugged into the power supply to test for Bios beeps and hopefully rule out any serious issues with the cpu or motherboard. I proceeded to do so and got NO bios beeps which seemingly confirms an issue with the motherboard, cpu or psu according to the forum.

I am at a complete loss of what to do next or even how to pinpoint what the exact issue is. I would appreciate ANY advice on what my next move should be or if I should take further steps to trouble shoot.

Here are my parts for reference:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x-570 E Gaming Wifi II
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: Geforce RTX 3070 ti founders edition
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
CPU Cooler: Corsair ICUE H150i elite LCD
Case fans: Corsair QL 120 (x6)
PSU: Corsair RMx series RM850x

Thank you so much for the time, cheers.
What code is showing at the bottom of the motherboard?

Feb 12, 2022

Thanks so much for the feedback.

thanks so much for the feedback. Firstly I notice your profile from many threads and I really appreciate you taking the time to help and the work you do for the community!

In terms of the bios beeps I plugged the motherboard into a sound system to test for beeps and still got no feedback. Not sure if that means much.
I’ll definitely give moving the gpu to the secondary slot a try. Would you be able to clarify how to perform a reboot?
Also quick question, would you be able to elaborate a bit on how to go about rebooting?
Additionally, when I “Powered” on the system I only turned on the psu which cause the MB rgb to light up. Idid not physically press the on button on the computer as it would not let me. Tried jump starting the mb outside of the case and no dice :(
No leds are are appearing on the mb even with just the cpu and aio connected

Feb 12, 2022
To clarify when I first 'booted' the system I meant I just turned the PSU on which caused the rbg on the mb to light up and the error message on the aio to display. I didnt get any fan spin or RAM power up.
I attempted to press the power button on the case which didnt do anything. Is there something I'm possibly missing?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
To clarify when I first 'booted' the system I meant I just turned the PSU on which caused the rbg on the mb to light up and the error message on the aio to display. I didnt get any fan spin or RAM power up.
I attempted to press the power button on the case which didnt do anything. Is there something I'm possibly missing?
Take everything out of the case and put the board on the cardboard box it came in, you can keep the CPU cooler connected no need to remove that, cooler pump plugged in no reason to connect any fans, 1 stick of memory and the video card. Then use a screwdriver and jump the power pins out on the board and see if you can boot into BIOS.

Make sure you have the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors pugged in for the motherboard and CPU.

EDIT before you do that make sure the front panel connectors are is the correct spots.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS