Question [Please Help] NVME constant crashing with games

drankk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
Hello,

I have an nvme as my secondary drive (Western Digital SN850, 500 GB), and whenever I try to play a game on it, it crashes nearly instantly, and the nvme is unrecognizable which forces me to restart my computer. Prior to this, I had a 970 evo plus samsung nvme as my secondary storage drive, and I had recently returned it because I thought it was the nvme that was the issue, but I may have been wrong.

My other specs are:

AMD 5800x
Asus nvidia 2080 super
MSI Tomahawk MAG B550 Mobo
32 gb of ram @ 3600mhz
650w Gold Rated Seasonic PSU
500 gb western digital blue ssd (main storage drive)
nvme sn850 500 gb (secondary drive that is crashing)

Not sure how to fix this or what the issue is. I have tried swapping the nvme to the other m2 slot and did not fix it -- did bios updates, firmware updates for both the 970 evo samsung nvme i had prior, and the current sn850 I have right now. I even did a system reset where I re-installed windows 11 and did a "fresh start" and am still getting these errors. Thanks for your time.

drankk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
This looks like a potentially faulty drive.
Nothing to "fix", other than replace.

Is it still under warranty?
what does the WD diagnostic tool say?
The diagnostic tool states that the drive is 100% healthy -- even ran some Windows tests on the drive and it detected zero faults. I bought this nvme yesterday. My prior nvme was not experiencing these issues up until about a few weeks ago and I had it for a few months prior. Could it be the mobo instead / the m2 slots?

USAFRet

Titan
The diagnostic tool states that the drive is 100% healthy -- even ran some Windows tests on the drive and it detected zero faults. I bought this nvme yesterday. My prior nvme was not experiencing these issues up until about a few weeks ago and I had it for a few months prior. Could it be the mobo instead / the m2 slots?
If a previous drive was doing the exact same thing in the exact same M.2 port....then yes, it might be the motherboard.

BIOS upgrade, maybe?

Hello,

I have an nvme as my secondary drive (Western Digital SN850, 500 GB), and whenever I try to play a game on it, it crashes nearly instantly, and the nvme is unrecognizable which forces me to restart my computer. Prior to this, I had a 970 evo plus samsung nvme as my secondary storage drive, and I had recently returned it because I thought it was the nvme that was the issue, but I may have been wrong.

My other specs are:

AMD 5800x
Asus nvidia 2080 super
MSI Tomahawk MAG B550 Mobo
32 gb of ram @ 3600mhz
650w Gold Rated Seasonic PSU
500 gb western digital blue ssd (main storage drive)
nvme sn850 500 gb (secondary drive that is crashing)

Not sure how to fix this or what the issue is. I have tried swapping the nvme to the other m2 slot and did not fix it -- did bios updates, firmware updates for both the 970 evo samsung nvme i had prior, and the current sn850 I have right now. I even did a system reset where I re-installed windows 11 and did a "fresh start" and am still getting these errors. Thanks for your time.
Have you downloaded and installed the WD Dashboard software from their website. You could use it to monitor the temperatures of the drive over a period of time and see if there's a peak right before it crashes. Also is the thermal pad inside the drive cover on your motherboard making good contact with the drive?

drankk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
If a previous drive was doing the exact same thing in the exact same M.2 port....then yes, it might be the motherboard.

BIOS upgrade, maybe?
Upgraded the bios a few days ago and am still experiencing these issues. I also have swapped the prior nvme and the current nvme to the other m2 slot and nothing changed. Is it actually possible to have both m2 slots fried? ;/

drankk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
Have you downloaded and installed the WD Dashboard software from their website. You could use it to monitor the temperatures of the drive over a period of time and see if there's a peak right before it crashes. Also is the thermal pad inside the drive cover on your motherboard making good contact with the drive?
Thanks for your reply. I have ran the WD software and when booting up / running the game(s) the temperatures rise to around 50-60 degrees celsius.

TRENDING THREADS