[SOLVED] please help on proper cooler position.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
hi, today I was able to upgrade the stock Intel cooler to a Cooler Master T20. And it did successfully reduce temps... with the stock cooler it's 50-60 degrees on idle, with theT20.. it's just on the 40's.

however, I could not position the T20 with it's back directly to the exhaust fan, because the lock of the T20 is obstructed by the PSU. So I had to put it like this.

pbrpny.JPG

however, I'm worried, because the back of the T20 is now turned towards the fan of the PSU.

also I'm worried that a wire of the PSU is in contact with the top of the heat sink.. afraid the wire would melt fom the heat.

planning to switch the direction of the T20, so that it's back will be into the other direction.. I mean it's back will be facing to the side where the GPU is, instead of the side where the PSU is. Would this be correct?

Last edited:
Solution
Leave it be.
You are more likely to remount badly than gain any measurable cooling.
What you now have is not bad.

I do not see any front intake fans.

Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let the cooler do it's job.
Even a minimal front intake would make a big difference.

Run with the case side cover off to see what that might be.
The cooler should be either facing up or rear... or the air in the case will not have airflow it will just be circling inside the chassis .....so the heat will stay inside...
The cable cannot be melted from 60 or 70 degrees C .... (or even higher than that).
What is the CPU?
The best for you is the cooler to be facing rear (to be facing top... the case should be with bottom mounted PSU).

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
CPU is Core 2 Quad Q9500.

this is backup pc, who has Windows 7. It's job is to run games that don't work in my Windows 10 pc.

it's a relief to know that the cable will not be melted.

Last edited:
CPU is Core 2 Quad Q9500.

this is backup pc, who has Windows 7. It's job is to run games that don't work in my Windows 10 pc.

it's a relief to know that the cable will not be melted.
I've seen some cases where the CPU is like 65W TDP or even a bit higher... and is blowing top into the PSU.... if the PSU is not stressed a lot and has really good cooling... it's not gonna be bothered by the CPU cooler blowing into it... by not stressed a lot i mean not so power hungry GPU and CPU.... idk in your case... maybe you can try and check PSU temps...but I'm not recommending it!

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
GPU is only a GT 1030, so it's not power hungry.

But I did hear that the Q9500 is a power hungry CPU.

the cooler blowing directly on the PSU gives me a bad feeling... I'll try to change the position of the T20 after eating dinner tonight.

Leave it be.
You are more likely to remount badly than gain any measurable cooling.
What you now have is not bad.

I do not see any front intake fans.

Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let the cooler do it's job.
Even a minimal front intake would make a big difference.

Run with the case side cover off to see what that might be.

Solution

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
a little update to the thread.

solved the problem by installing another cpu cooler that fits the case better. This one has 4 copper heat pipes, and keeps temps at a comfortable 30-40 when idle. Cooler also has nice lights when turned on.. although I can't really see the lights when the case is closed. lol

0h9489.JPG

Last edited: