please help, overclocking question fx6300

Solution
Well in a sense no.
But the auto overclock and turbo core boost does not give you the maximum overclock you can achieve with a FX 6300 Amd cpu.

To keep the core at a fixed speed in your bios.
Turn off cool and quiet, and turbo mode.

If you manually set the multiplier in the bios, providing you have a decent motherboard.
And an aftermarket cpu cooler, and not the stock cooler that comes with the AMD FX cpu.

You can get a FX 6300 cpu to clock slightly higher than 4.1 Ghz.

Typically an FX cpu will from its default stock speed overclock about 800Mhz on average
So you could get it to 4.4Ghz and extra 300Mhz.

200 x 22 = a cpu core speed of 4.4Ghz.

At the moment your settings should be at 3.5Ghz 200 x 17.5 on the multiplier clock of...
Well in a sense no.
But the auto overclock and turbo core boost does not give you the maximum overclock you can achieve with a FX 6300 Amd cpu.

To keep the core at a fixed speed in your bios.
Turn off cool and quiet, and turbo mode.

If you manually set the multiplier in the bios, providing you have a decent motherboard.
And an aftermarket cpu cooler, and not the stock cooler that comes with the AMD FX cpu.

You can get a FX 6300 cpu to clock slightly higher than 4.1 Ghz.

Typically an FX cpu will from its default stock speed overclock about 800Mhz on average
So you could get it to 4.4Ghz and extra 300Mhz.

200 x 22 = a cpu core speed of 4.4Ghz.

At the moment your settings should be at 3.5Ghz 200 x 17.5 on the multiplier clock of the cpu in the bios.

If you want to try to manually increase the speed of the cpu, you may also have to add a bit of voltage to the cpu core when setting the multiplier value higher.

About 0.250Mv or 0.500Mv.

Do not go above 1.6v for the cpu core 1.45v is pretty safe but the cpu temp will rise that is why you need a good aftermarket cooler and not the stock Amd cooler that came with the cpu if you are currently using it.

If you want to try then I suggest that you up the multiplier value up in half multiple steps. example

For a fixed speed of 4.1Ghz you want 200 x 20.5 on the multiplier.

Solution

jays2pence

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
Thanks very much for the response.
My mobo is a gigabyte 970a-ds3 from what i have read this is not a board for overclocking due to power phase and lack of vrm cooling. I have now managed to set it to 4.1 fixed in bios but it took +0.750Mv to get it stable in prime 95. the temps seems fine, not going above 51c under load. I also used the bench in cpu-z to compare scores. It does seem to be performing at about a 7% improvement from the stock settings and the core voltage is at 1.416 which seems decent. I will now run prime95 again for a couple of hours to test it further.

jays2pence

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
one last update if any one is interested.
I was able to clock the cpu to a fixed speed of 4.0Ghz with +0.500Mv on the Vcore and after running passmark benchmarks
I can see that it is out-performing my previous stock settings, its stable and staying cool also.