Please Help? - Sabertooth X99 doesn't recognize Essence STX II

Jack500

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello everyone,

Putting my current build together and cannot install drivers for sound card. Can anybody offer any help? (ASUS support did not inspire much confidence when I talked to them)

Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth X99
Sound card - ASUS Essence STX II
OS - Windows 10 64-bit

Here is what happens:
1. Sound card installed into mobo, molex connector is installed, front panel audio header connected
2. Got to website and download drivers: https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Essence_STX_II/HelpDesk_Download/
3. Click on open, unzip to Desktop
4. Go to Desktop, double-click folder, it contains 3 items: (1) WIN10 folder, (2) CmiMergeSetup file, and (3) Setup file. I double-click "Setup" file.
4. Get following message - "Xonar Essence STX II needs additional power to work. Please confirm that you have connected the internal power cable onto the card before you install and use the driver." (ok, I did that so I click on "Yes"))
5. InstallShield comes on and I go through the motions of installing.
6. Then I get a dialog box stating - "Choose not to restart the computer, some functions may cause no effect, please restart the computer later." (I have no idea what this means)
7. The only option given to me is "Finish". I click on it and that's it.

Device Manager / Sound, video and game controllers shows 4 items:
1. HD Pro Webcam C910
2. NVIDIA High Definition Audio
3. NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
4. Realtek High Definition Audio

Device Manager / Other devices shows:
1. Multimedia Audio Controller (no yellow triangle, or anything else)

I've never had trouble with a soundcard and this one is starting to frustrate me.

Can anybody PLEASE offer any kind of assistance as it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Solution
1| In BIOS disable the onboard audio card - namely the Realtek solution.
2| Disable automatic device driver updates
3| uninstall your Xonar Essence STX II audio drivers, reboot and then install your drivers but this time install in with an elevated command:
Right click installer>Run as Administrator

If the issue is yet persistent, then you'll need to download drivers meant for Windows 7/8/8.1 and install them under compatibility mode:
Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility Tab>Windows 7/8 [from drop down menu]

Lutfij

Titan
1| In BIOS disable the onboard audio card - namely the Realtek solution.
2| Disable automatic device driver updates
3| uninstall your Xonar Essence STX II audio drivers, reboot and then install your drivers but this time install in with an elevated command:
Right click installer>Run as Administrator

If the issue is yet persistent, then you'll need to download drivers meant for Windows 7/8/8.1 and install them under compatibility mode:
Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility Tab>Windows 7/8 [from drop down menu]

Solution