Question Please Help. Upgrade to New RAM: Computer stops almost immediately. Tries to start again and stalls. Loops On/Off continous.

Feb 20, 2019
Hi,

Thanks for any feed back. I am not a tech person. I do just a little DIY when I think
I can.

My PC is a Velocity Micro Custom Build:

ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 (MotherBoard)
Intel i5 2500k (overclocked to 4.00)
Original RAM: Patriot Memory 4gb total: [2x 2gb DDR3 1333(PC3 10600 CL9) Item# PSD32G133381H]
PSU 700W - Velocity Micro brand
GPU: xfx AMD RX580 8 gb Black Edition
SSD: 500gb WD
HDD: 1tb Hitachi
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2

A little OC info:
-CPU is overclocked to 4.0 GHz.
-Overclock Tuner is set to "Auto"
-"Turbo Ratio" set to "By all cores- can adjust in OS"
-"By all cores" is set to "40"
-XMP is not utlized, it is on "AUTO"

NEW RAM: Total 16gb: [2x Crucial 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Desktop Memory Model CT102464BD160B]
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156045

Summary
  1. I Removed old RAM, Installed two new sticks of RAM, computer would not boot (as stated.)
  2. Shut down computer.
  3. Tried installing only one New 8gb stick (reseated it.)
  4. Started Computer With one stick in proper location- check manual for config.
  5. The computer started and ran a little longer with one RAM stick and displayed "BIOS Error Screen"
  6. BIOS error was: Overclock Failed, Press F1 to adjust
  7. I went into BIOS:
-Main "Info" tab showed the the computer picked up the 1600MHz RAM
-"OC/ Ai Tweeker" tab showed RAM speed of 1333Mhz.
-The OC did not fail as far as I could tell. Still Showed 4.0Ghz
- So I adjusted RAM speed to 1600MHz
- Saved and exit
  1. Computer tried to restart, stalled in seconds like before. Started on/Off Loop again.
  2. Installed old RAM DDR3 2x2gb Patriot RAM and computer ran perfectly.
I did not update the BIOS or reset the CMOS. It is unclear to me clearing the CMOS is standard practice. Most "how to install RAM" guides don't mention claring the CMOS at all. Some forums do. I don't want to update BIOS unless I am confident the RAM itself is not the issue.

Question: Is this a BIOS update issue or are the new RAM sticks simply not compatible? Something Else?
For the new RAM, I ran the Crucial scan for compatibility for my MOBO. The RAM I purchased was listed.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...X-_-9SIAGSC7XR9372-_-1&Description=P8Z68-V+LX

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
Hello there!
Seems like memory issue, but during your experiments with RAM you should cancel overclocking first. Remember or write yourself your stable values from bios thou then you can easily turn it back if needed.
Sometimes, not all the listed memory modules can be fully compatible with your particular motherboard, because frequently, manufacturer simply forgot to mention how much ranks and how much sides the memory should be to work properly with your mobo. Just for your consideration where to look for: For example: my mobo is EP41UD3L and it can use up to 8Gb DDR2 memory, BUT if all 4 slots to be used - memory should be 1sided and 1 ranked, BUT I'm using only two in dual memory mode interleaved, so, I currently using double sided memory in only 2 slots with the overall amount of 4GB but in dual mode. It's the feature of my particular mobo. You should look over the internet for stable working rig with particularly your mobo (critical value) and 16gb RAM and it's type or simply write your MOTHERBOARD maufacturer about your problem (I did so 7 years ago during memory upgrade), they'll give you the full specs answer about particular memory modules to be used. That's for sure.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
Manufacturers answer for me at that time was: you can use 2Gb x4 slots to reach 8Gb in total (1 sided 1 ranked only) (and the type of memory of course) and 4Gb x2 slots (double sided) to reach 8 Gb in total in dual mode (and the type of memory). My system is obsolete, but fully enough for my tasks and it's just for info where to look for a decision of your problem. :)And I think it's not the bios update issue.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019
Manufacturers answer for me at that time was: you can use 2Gb x4 slots to reach 8Gb in total (1 sided 1 ranked only) (and the type of memory of course) and 4Gb x2 slots (double sided) to reach 8 Gb in total in dual mode (and the type of memory). My system is obsolete, but fully enough for my tasks and it's just for info where to look for a decision of your problem. :)And I think it's not the bios update issue.

Thank you Gary. I did not consider single sided vs. dual sided RAM. In fact, I didn't see that mentioned at all in the specifications of the DDR3L I bought. I do know I bought two modules with exact same specs and I used the Crucial Scanner for compatibility for my Motherboard. That and I knew my MOBO could hold max of 32gb DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz, Non ECC, un-buffered. Supports XMP.

I was careful to install the new RAM according to the MOBO manual. For 2 DIMMs, install in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2. Color Coded Blue makes instillation hard to mess up.

One issue is the MOBO is seven years old, all the RAM listed on the QVL are no longer available. No updated QVL at ASUS since 2012. I had to rely on Crucial Scanner for compatibility. So who knows? I did the best I could choosing the RAM. I had some concern about the DDR3L vs. DDR3, but most resources said the low voltage RAM I bought could be run at 1.35v or 1.5v and should not be an issue for my MOBO.

I think turning off the OC is a good idea, I was thinking that myself.

I am very reluctant to update BIOS without knowing for sure I am using the right RAM. The last time I installed RAM I did not have this much trouble. I might just clear the CMOS and try install again with Default settings.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
You are welcome. With this new information, it seems no need to update BIOS at all if you don't want to, for some older systems it sometimes might be more a trouble than total win, especially with lack of experience. You've checked enough and preparation was even better than at first sight. DDR3L and DDR3 is a concern for sure, try to clear CMOS and install once more/ Yes! That might be some good try.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
That's a problem with aged PC's. Recently, I also thought to maximize my memory to the top possible 8Gb, but taking all into the account, especially manufacturers feedback and the fact that my MOBO is over 11 years old and working perfectly, decided to simply leave it be 'cause of the concern about total memory presence and it's full compatibility with older devices at the market nowadays. Even a few years ago there still was an opportunity to buy 4x4 right type of memory for my MOBO, nowadays only the crap like 2Gb's is only available around in mass.

Memory modules sold as Singles such as
CT102464BD160B
have no guarantee to be compatible in any configuration other than as a Single module.

While use of exact match, same thing, identical modules may raise your chances of memory working together over the use of random modules, they have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. If you want to use two modules, buy a kit of two not two singles.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019
To Clarify
Memory modules sold as Singles such as
CT102464BD160B
have no guarantee to be compatible in any configuration other than as a Single module.

While use of exact match, same thing, identical modules may raise your chances of memory working together over the use of random modules, they have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. If you want to use two modules, buy a kit of two not two singles.

You're right, I was aware that buying a kit was best option, however, my options for compatible RAM is limited with this mother board and I felt the odds were in my favor. I am not convinced buying singles is the issue. I tested that theory when I installed one stick alone. And it still had issues. It produced a BIOS error "OC Failed, Press F1." I went into BIOS and adjusted/corrected the RAM speed to 1600 and it failed to boot as well. Yet the singles may be an issue on top of another issue. I will probably return the RAM and move on. The computer works good enough, I thought RAM would be an easy upgrade, I was wrong. I don't have time for this right now.

Last edited: