Question Please Help - Upgrading a Prebuilt

xdylan2003x

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
I have a HP Pavillion with a i7-6700 and I have upgraded the power supply and the gpu. I was wondering how much of an issue it would be to replace the Motherboard, RAM, and case. My main concern is with Windows that I have installed on the hard drive.

WildCard999

Titan
Once you change the motherboard then you'd want to reinstall the OS even if it does boot up as there's going to be a conflict with motherboard drivers and while it may not show initially, over time it will affect performance. Is it Windows 10? Do you have a Microsoft Account activated with the OS? If yes then reinstall Win10, skip the part where it asks for a key then eventually log into your MS account and you should be all set. If it gives you issues then contact MS and they should be able to resolve it for you.

Are you replacing the motherboard to fit it into a standard case?

Last edited:

xdylan2003x

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
I’ll start from the beginning as I didn’t really know how to ask the question.
It is currently an HP Pavilion desktop. In January I installed a 1050 ti and and a new power supply. it has decent performance. I recently ordered a new motherboard, case, ram, and cpu cooler. I wanted a solid platform to upgrade. Essentialy all I’m keeping is the CPU. As for your questions, I don’t have the Microsoft account you were talking about. The case is a Corsair 275R mid-tower case. Thanks

I’ll start from the beginning as I didn’t really know how to ask the question.
It is currently an HP Pavilion desktop. In January I installed a 1050 ti and and a new power supply. it has decent performance. I recently ordered a new motherboard, case, ram, and cpu cooler. I wanted a solid platform to upgrade. Essentialy all I’m keeping is the CPU. As for your questions, I don’t have the Microsoft account you were talking about. The case is a Corsair 275R mid-tower case. Thanks

I'm sure why you are going this route, keeping the CPU has limited you to at best a 7700 or 7700K upgrade down the line which is not even worth upgrading to for the small boost in performance. The RAM inside your current prebuitl while probably on the slow end of speed isnt going to grant you performance increases worth the money of replacing it. I just dont understand your upgrade reasoning.

xdylan2003x

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
Mainly just something to do. It currently has an i-7 6700. And yes the ram is extremely slow. 12gb of ddr3 1600mhz. I also plan on replacing the 1050 ti with a 2060 soon. I got the parts I listed earlier for $60 ($180 off) so it was kind of a steal. I don’t use it for much except light gaming, web browsing and some CAD

Last edited:

middcore

Commendable
Dec 7, 2018
Mainly just something to do. It currently has an i-7 6700. And yes the ram is extremely slow. 12gb of ddr3 1600mhz. I also plan on replacing the 1050 ti with a 2060 soon. I got the parts I listed earlier for $60 ($180 off) so it was kind of a steal. I don’t use it for much except light gaming, web browsing and some CAD

This system has an i7-6700 but DDR3 RAM? I didn't know such things existed, must be a weird HP proprietary motherboard.

Reactions: xdylan2003x

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I couldn't recall if it were the 5xxx or 6xxx series that used the DDR3L config?

Anyway, chances are pretty good that the installed OS is OEM. When you change mobo it is likely going to invalidate the license, so to speak. Registering your OS to your Microsoft account creates a situation where in the spirit of the purchase, someone who bought a retail license can change parts without losing that validation. In practice Microsoft has proven to very lenient in regards to this and Windows 10 due to other factors that I won't get into here.

As far as my own .02 I think you should purchase a motherboard and RAM with 9xxx in mind and do a full upgrade, with OS rather than trying to repurpose what you have. You will be all but a processor away. A new i5 should give better performance, and a new i7 would blow it away.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700-vs-Intel-Core-i5-9400F/3515vsm699058

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
He can make a Microsoft account since not having one,doubt he will have real problems with reinstallihg which he should do! Don't just use the current hdd with that installation. Since upgrading buy a good but decently priced ssd at least 240gb and install windows there and use the hdd for storage.

No use posting other options since he,

recently ordered a new motherboard, case, ram, and cpu cooler. got the parts I listed earlier for $60 ($180 off) so it was kind of a steal