Please list games that you think have good stories.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Xenogears/Xenosaga

Chrono Trigger

Disgaea

La Pucelle

A bunch of the ones already listed in this thread.

Probably several more that my sleep deprived brain can't recall.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Chrono Trigger!!!!!

Good call, fantastic game. Probably the first time that infornography42 and I have agreed on something. Well played, sir.

This one deserves mentioning, too: I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.
Ho. Lee. Crap. That is one weird game. I you like surreal sci-fi and are a Harlan Ellison fan, check it out. Mind-boggling.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
In no particular order and just off the top of my head:

Metal Gear Solid 1 & 3 & 4
Suikoden 2
Lunar Silver Star Story & Eternal Blue
Darksiders 1 & 2
Max Payne 3
Sleeping Dogs
Bioshock
Deus Ex & Deus Ex Human Revolution
Dishonored
The Witcher & The Witcher 2
Borderlands 2
Bastion
Final Fantasy 4 & 6 & 9
Phantasy Star 2 & 4
Shining Force 2
Chrono Trigger

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Forgetting Sonic Generations already? lol

chocostain

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I don't know whether I'm getting old or it's just that I'm still attached to the old games.
New games don't seem that appealing. They have great graphics, yes. However they are hallow. They have a storyline, yes. However it's empty. There is no satisfaction or excitement in completing them. That's why I'm just content with multiplayer games.

Nothing beats Xenogears. It has action, drama, and everything you could ask for in a good RPG. Perhaps what's missing is the graphics but if you think of it, a lot was already achieved on the year this was created.

Perhaps it's the Nostalgia. Perhaps I'm really just getting old and there are other things which are more important right now.

Nevertheless.

Does anyone agree or it's just me?

:)

I think it's just because at the time some of those older games came out, nothing had been done or tried like that before and graphics were always getting better. It was all fresh and new. Now games just seem like variations of the older games. The market is flooded with nearly identical games making them feel stale.

I agree with the above, but I also think some of it is just age. The longer we are alive, the less things are new and exciting. When I was a kid, movies were awesome, but today, they are also boring to me much of the time. I find myself enduring them, rather than being captivated.

It may be that movies have gone down in quality, but when I watch movies I thought were awesome as a teenager, they look so stupid to me today.

TheGhxst

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I still have to give Spec Ops a try. Games back then just seemed like they were made with heart. There are a few breakthroughs today that are really good, but it just seems like they are lackluster.

You can always go to the Indie developers, you see a lot of them on Steam. Big game companies that utilize voice acting and high end quality graphics spend too much money to take a risk the risk of something unique.

I still think most of our complaints about todays games being boring is because it just takes more to impress us. We seen that and done that already.

I think that's an important point, and one I find applies equally to books and films... maybe even music, though to a lesser extent. I'd also like to try Spec Ops, though I'm on a crappy old 1GB Radeon 4870 (since my 5970 died) so until the GTX770 launch, I'm only playing games I know I can max on a 4870. Not seen anyone benchmark Spec Ops so I'm not sure I could run it.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
My specs are in my sig, and granted a 570 is quite a step up from a 4870, but even fully maxing the game and injecting more anti-aliasing I couldn't ever get it to dip below vsync'd 60 fps. lol

I'm afraid I'd need a bit more to go on than that before buying the game :) I'm happy to estimate 4870 performance based on that of comparable GPUs (5770, 6770, 7750, GTX260, GTX550 Ti, GTX650) or adjacent models to those (4850, 4890, GTS250, GTX275, etc) but a 570 is about double the speed!

I've gone through Tom's, Anandtech, Tweaktown, Tech Review, Tech Spot, Tech Powerup, Bit-Tech and probably others I've forgotten, right back to 2008 on each to find games my card will max. None were benchmarking Spec Ops. I'll maybe open a thread about it and a few other games to see if anyone knows of sites that have benchmarked them.

tinyE

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I'd like add the Kain series. Great story, albeit somewhat confusing. First you play Kain, then you play Kain before or is it after, then his dad, or is that his son, or his cousin, or his sister's brother's cousin last century, or his uncle's best friend's former roomate next century or...

spazzolone76

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
hi

the good story is Tomb Raider Anniversary and Prince of Persia the sands of time

games no recently but great satisfaction

(sorry for my english)

Status
Not open for further replies.