Please power down and connect the PCI-E power cables, but it is connected

John Navia

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Specs:
MOBO: Asus Z97-AR
PSU: Corsair CX 750M
GPU: MSI GTX 1060

Issue: I get the error message even though I've connected the 6+2 pin end to the PSU and the 8 pin end to the GPU, and vice versa obviously. Yet I still get the error message.
I went as far as to connect both the 6+2 and 6 pin ends to the PSU and the 8 pin end still to the GPU, though in this instance the PC doesn't even turn on, too much voltage probably.
The PC works with an older GPU if that helps.
Any help is appreciated.

Solution
I have both that exact PSU and motherboard combo for my i5 4690K build. It's not a power problem. It's a modular PSU so you should have four 6+2 PCIe power connectors to plug in from the PSU to the GPU. You are using the wrong cable. If that's a new PSU, look in the box for the PCIe power cables and use one of them.

The PC doesn't start because you are not plugging the 8-pin PSU CPU power connector (4x2 connector if I remember correctly) to the motherboard at the top.
Does the old GPU used any power plugs? The cable itself could be faulty, or you could have damaged GPU connecting the cable wrong way. Since the system works without new GPU, problem must lie either in GPU or PSU, I don't see other possibilities. I believe Cx750m has 2 PCie cables, so try the other cable first (and connect it correct way). If that won't help, next step is to try another PSU with that GPU, and if that won't help it means GPU is not working as it should.

John Navia

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
No old GPU has no power plugs, else I would've tested with that. Cx750m only has one 8 pin power cable coming out of it labeled "CPU".
So I tried connecting that to the GPU and the 6+2 to the CPU and the PC doesn't even start.
If you mean in the box then sorry this isn't mine and the owner threw away the cables that come in the box

I have both that exact PSU and motherboard combo for my i5 4690K build. It's not a power problem. It's a modular PSU so you should have four 6+2 PCIe power connectors to plug in from the PSU to the GPU. You are using the wrong cable. If that's a new PSU, look in the box for the PCIe power cables and use one of them.

The PC doesn't start because you are not plugging the 8-pin PSU CPU power connector (4x2 connector if I remember correctly) to the motherboard at the top.

Solution

The cable labeled as CPU has to go to CPU, not GPU. If the owner threw away other cables that were in the PSU box, well, let's just say it was not smart move. In that case your only choice left is trying with another PSU.

Contact Corsair and see if you can buy the cables you need from them. My experience with them is their customer service is top notch. They sent me free some USB thumb drive caps I lost.

I'm curious - where on earth did you buy a modular PSU with no modular power cables? That's like buying a kitchen knife block set with no knives. Did you check the box or did the seller advise it came with no modular cables?

John Navia

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

Do you think this will work?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZBZN5R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It may, or it may not. You can certainly try it however and return it to Amazon if it doesn't work. Note that one reviewer stated the cable was wired backwards with a +12v pin. That's an awfully expensive cable. I wish I could find the spare one from my old CX600M to just mail you for free, but I can't find the box for it :/ . I am only using one 6+2 PCIe cable from it in my backup PC build.