Please power down and connect the pci-e power cables

May 28, 2018
Here are components being used:

EVGA GTX 980 TI SC+ that requires both a 6 pin and 8 pin power connection
Corsair AX760 platinum power supply
MSI Z370 Gaming Plus MOBO
I7 8700K

So I recently picked up the GPU and went to install it in my system and get "Please power down and connect the pci-e power cable".

The person I bought the computer from had thrown out all the spare PSU cables that he hadn't used, including the PCI-e cables. I knew someone who had cables from an HX1000 platinum. I contacted Corsair and they said the cables will work with my power supply. Despite this, I get the error message above. Could it be the cables and I need cables specifically for this power supply? I am waiting on a response from Corsair.

In the mean time, the computer still runs great using the integrated graphics card on the CPU. When looking at device manager with the 980 TI installed but using the integrated graphics, it shows up but gives error code 43. I tried installing the drivers provided by EVGA for the 980 TI but that didn't seem to do anything. The graphics card itself starts up, lights up and you can hear the fan on startup? What else could I possibly look for to fix this or what else could be the issue if it isn't the power cables?

Solution

Yes, those appear to be the right cables. And apparently you were referring to simply some flashing from the forming of the PSU-end connector that needed a little trimming. Yes? I thought maybe you had inadvertently used the CPU cables and were trying to modify that to fit the GPU header.

This is going to be a dumb question, but I need to ask it. You are plugging the solid 8-pin connector into the PSU, right? The 6+2 end goes to the GPU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If a Corsair rep said the HX1000 cables were adaptable to your AX760, I would have to assume they were fine. Is it possible that the connectors aren't fully inserted? Is the clip latched? How sure are you that the seller is telling the truth?

I'm surprised that you even get a display using the iGPU when the 980 Ti is installed. Usually the iGPU output is disabled.

May 28, 2018
Yeah my concern as well was that the cables wouldn't fully insert into the power supply, but I have them all the way in there as far as I can tell. I got the iGPU to work by setting it in the BIOS to only work off of the iGPU.
I am sure the seller is telling the truth as he showed me a time stamped video of it working and I am still in contact with him. The card itself starts up and everything. He also said he never flashed the BIOS or made any changes.
Could there be something else that I missed? maybe I really, really need to insert those cables to get them to work?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's why I asked if the cables were in far enough that the clip actually latched. If the clip on the connector is latched over the locking nub on the card's header, they are in as far as they can go.

May 28, 2018
I'll double check when I get home in a bit here, but they were in as physically far as i could get them. Since the cable had a solid plastic moulding between 2 of the pins, that needed to be trimmed so that the cable itself could be used. Perhaps the plastic moulding is still getting in the way and preventing a connection.

one issue and it not a sellers fault but evga and there gpu have had bad caps and vrm issues. look to you tube of there 900 and 10000 cards going up in flames. one card went up in flames on a cold post with 8 pin cable not plugged in. i would see if a friend had a pc you could test the card in or a local shop.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, those appear to be the right cables. And apparently you were referring to simply some flashing from the forming of the PSU-end connector that needed a little trimming. Yes? I thought maybe you had inadvertently used the CPU cables and were trying to modify that to fit the GPU header.

This is going to be a dumb question, but I need to ask it. You are plugging the solid 8-pin connector into the PSU, right? The 6+2 end goes to the GPU.

Solution