PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD

smudgecrap

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Hi all,

Dont know if anyone has ever come across this, I have read other posts with the same heading. but this is my problem.

I have 2 EVGA Geforce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 cards, one runs perfect the other if I plug it in comes up with the message "PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD" I have it at the moment in as a standalone card but still get this. If I plug the other card in with the identical cables it works, but this one gives me that message everytime. Anyone help with this is something fried on the Graphics card? I cannot seem to work it out.... Please Help if you know what causes it.

ragnar-gd

Reputable
The connector on the Graphics card may be broken. You need a shop with a repair station to have that checked. As long as that card still provides a picture, while only giving that message, it may otherwise still be intact.

smudgecrap

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
What kind of repair station can check the Graphics card power connectors? I repair PC and Laptops every day. It must be one of the power chips but dont want to just start willy nilly removing them.

ragnar-gd

Reputable
I meant not a special device, but a general booth where someone with a screwdriver repairs PCs the whole day long.
But turns out, yourself may be just the person doing that already... :-D
Sorry, if you have that skill, my suggestion is completely out of place, and i'm not of help for you.
I had a GPU where it was exactly that, the connector was broken, and someone with (your) skills fixed that in a moment.

smudgecrap

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

Thanks for you help, Maybe that is all it is. I will get my Self in gear and have a closer look at the connectors, Hopefully it is just a dry joint or something that I have missed while looking, Maybe I try re-soldering the points and see how it does after.

smudgecrap

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Well re soldering the power points did not work, I suppose I most look deeper, test the caps etc. What a pain would be nice if someone else had this problem and had already worked out what causes it.