Please power down and connect the PCIe Power Cables- GTX 970 ASROCK Extreme 6 Z97

bard243

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
So I was away on vacation and my wife moved my computer. Now it is giving me this error along with POST CODE 29 for my motherboard. I have an 8 pin and 6 pin connect. I have the 700W Mod extreme PSU from OCZ. I've been running this set up for over a year now with no problems but now the PC won't boot up. Any suggestions?

I usually disconnect the power cables then reconnect them. Moving a computer might cause things to become unseated. In your case I'd focus on the cables going to the videocard. Disconnect both of them entirely, remove the videocard, reinstall the videocard, then reconnect the cables.

bard243

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
So I performed the suggestion. Reseated all power cables to the video card. Switched the 6 pin and 8 pin configurations and then switched it back. Got error 29 everytime. I switched to the integrated video input and had a normal boot up sequence with no errors.

bard243

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I have now also tried a second power supply from another computer it is an EVGA 500W power supply.

I got the same message.

charly.gk7

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Did you solve the issue? How?

I'm getting the same message about powering down and connecting cables... and won't boot. First time I noticed something wrong was when all of a sudden the monitor lost signal while playing some game. I reset the pc with the reset button and worked OK for some days. Then when I was playing some game it happened again. But reseted the pci once again until that power down and connect message first appeared. I also did the reconnecting cables, switching to spare ones, switched and tried all 4 vga connecting ports from the psu (Evga supernova nex650g 650watts 80+gold). No good results.
Now it happens 90%of the times. sometimes I get lucky to get into windows and have even tried reinstalling gpu drivers. But I don't think they are a factor because the pc won't even boot and yet we get that message.

I have asrock z97m pro and gtx970

bard243

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Turned out to be my video card.