Please review my build. Comments + Suggestions appreciated!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

maybe because this is a discusion thread :lol:

jtenorj

Distinguished
I pretty much used all of your budget. A little over before rebates, a little under after. Take a look:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hUhM

i7 for working. A decent, feature rich, inexpensive mobo to push it. 16GB of ram(overkill for gaming, but nice
for working). Custom cooled hd7970 for gaming. Overclock it past 7970ghz ed. and gtx680, letting you comfortably
game at 3x 1920x1200(or just last a long time at 1080p). Get a cheap geforce to go with if you want/need physx.

This case kicks butt for the price. This psu is more than enough for an OCed LGA1155 sandy, OCed hd7970, and the
rest of the parts. If you're spending this much, you should have a blu-ray burner. I know you said you have an os,
but if it's win 7 oem you can't transfer it to a new mobo. This retail copy will let you keep using win 7 even if windows
9 sucks too(windows 7 is fine, but windows 8 WILL suck). You said everything(except monitor and os), so I threw in
a microsoft sidewinder gaming keyboard and logitech G500 wired laser mouse with adjustable dpi.

You can take the input devices or leave 'em. These are the parts I suggest to you for your budget and purposes.

You can drop to win 7 oem if need be, but just make sure you are running the 64bit version to use ALL your ram.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

LOOOOOL!!! a single 7970 isn't enough for 5760x1080, dude my 4 gtx 680s meet the least of my expectations in 5760x1080 gaming.

BF3 @5760x1080 + filters + high res packs + filters + DX11 + 3D runs at 55fps. without 3D it runs @~80fps and that's only because BF3 is an Nvidia optimized game and is specially coded for extremely high SLI scaling.

bf3_5760_1080.gif

symbfrk

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Uhm, I appreciate the fact that you took the time to suggest but TBH I didn't really like it. Not being rude or anything just honest. Firstly, All I am going to do is gaming and basic photo-shopping + uTubezz so I really don't see the need for an i7. Same goes for the memory. Main board seems a bit too cheap, and I really like MVG. And all I have on my PC is like 40 Gigs of data like pics, songs and maybe some softwares. So 128 GB is sufficient. In terms of GPU, I am more on the green side because I've had a look @ numerous GPU Benchmarks (Heaven DX11 3.0 for example) according to which a GTX 670 is able to provide ~47 FPS & 7970 ~43 FPS. I have chosen this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146085
For the power supply I've had a look @ TONS of em but didn't like any other than the X-650 because its a perfect mix of all the features I want like Modularity, Efficiency, PCI-E 6 6+2 connectors and Single +12v Rail (being the MOST important of all 3) under a reliable name. Because IMO PSU is one of the most essential parts of your build and one should really not cheap it out. I was fine with the TX 650 v2 but then found about its terrible failure rate + non single rail design (yes, corsair's claim of it being a single rail is NOT true according to hardware-secrets) which was the deal breaker. I don't watch movies, just youtube so no blu ray BUT I do write DVD's (for backup purposes) and do have a portable DVD writer for fulfilling that purpose. Keyboard I already have some chinese ~$ 5-ish one and I am happy with it :lol: because afterall its it wont improve my precision in gaming which can't be said about mice due to which I will be getting a logitech G9x or maybe Roccat Kova+. I could have simply said "Ok thanks" but I felt I should clarify. Anyways, thankyou for taking time trying to help me out ^_^

EDIT: Oh and I will use Single 1080p more than enough for me. I have win7 HP (Retail Copy) So really no need for an OS.

jtenorj

Distinguished
Edit:mad:idroid:

Turn off motion blur(it both hurts performance and obscures your vision when trying to compete online), switch from
4xaa to fxaa(are you really gonna notice the difference while running around trying not to get knocked off?), and
maybe knock ambient occlusion down from horizon based to screen space(big whoop). Even so, you don't think a
heavily overclocked hd7970 will be more than enough to play bf3 smoothly on a 1080p panel(there are ways to
force a radeon to do vsync and triple buffering at the same time, possibly working better than adaptive vsync)?

Personally, I don't like the idea of gaming on 3 panels(at least in its current form with bezels in the way). Your gpu
is working extra hard on some pixels that will never get displayed(the ones behind the bezel). I believe it also
triples the amount of geometry data the cpu sends to the gpu(previous aspect ratio widened by 200+%). Some
folks don't have thousands and thousands of dollars to spend on parts, and you're really better off with one single
powerful gpu than 2 or more lesser ones anyway(some games never get around to supporting sli/crossfire properly,

(inserting wall of text wedge here...)

and you introduce the chance of micro stuttering that can deaden the impact of any measured increase in frames
per second the extra gpu(s) provide(s)). The best scaling is with two, drops notably with three, and is almost non-
existent with 4. With one powerful gpu you don't need to mess with any of that stuff. I admit kepler seems to have
fewer issues in sli that tahiti does in crossfire(last time I checked), but that can change from game to game, patch
to patch and driver to driver(or from one generation of card to the next). A non ghosting 1080p TN led lcd for me.

I suppose the OP sprung for a bit more expensive IPS panel for photoshopping purposes. Whatever. Goin' 2 bed.

jtenorj

Distinguished
That last post was directed at idroid(not you), but some of it may apply to your purchasing methodology.

Unigine Heaven is a game engine, but is not in any actual shipping games I am aware of. Seen gpu reviews at [H]?

That xfx psu is made by seasonic and recommended by both jonnyguru.com and kitguru.net(who know how to
properly evaluate power supplies). Newegg users seem relatively happier with it than the 750w version(44A +12v rail
ie 528w btw). one pcie 6+2pin and 1 6pin(enough for the hungriest of single gpu cards) ball bearing fan(for longer
life) and a 5yr warranty. Blank Blu-ray media are dropping in price to the point of having more GB/dollar than blank
dvd media. Less disks 4 same storage & record data at higher rates.(jonnyguru and hardwaresecrets are pals, btw).

Sorry that was a little switched around. I appreciate you taking time to explain your thoughts about your purchases.

jtenorj

Distinguished
So you don't have to spend anywhere near 1500 to game comfortably at 1080p.

Drop from i7 to i5 2500k(better overclocker than ivy)and drop one of the 2 dual channel ram kits. Drop the os since
you already have it. If you really are fine with you chinese keyboard drop the sidewinder, and if getting the g9 drop
the g500. That's 50 from cpu, 25 from ram, 150 from the os, 50 from the keyboard and 50 from the mouse. 375.

The combo of features on that fractal case is hard to beat at that price. You can toss in a couple more fans, too
(more than just a couple, but you get the idea. Dont like the look of the phantom myself. If I were in the market
for a case, I'd get a HAF 912 or Antec 300 TWO, but I'm not in the market to buy a case right now. No job).

Edit: you could pick up a second ssd and run them in raid 1. Trim won't work, but an ssd
with decent garbage collection can work around that. That way if one ssd goes all of
the sudden, you won't lose everything in an instant with no chance of recovery.

If you don't want a decent capacity HDD, all the better reason to get a blu-ray burner.
You will need to burn far fewer disks to back up your data. Forget that second ssd idea.
You won't notice much extra in iops or sequential transfers(compared to a HDD).

Edit:2 decent capacity HDDs in raid 1 would give you some fault tolerance and much
faster back ups than dvd or blu-ray(even if you were to go with lower rpm, lower
power, lower heat "green drives"). Just sayin'.

Edit: never mind. You have very little data and likely a bunch of blank DVDs. Nite, nite.

symbfrk

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah I know it was @iDroid. Thats true, its just an engine and I my self am not aware of any game in existence utilizing it. I saw the comparison @ Youtube I think. Considering Blue-Ray because yea it will knock off a few disks when I need to backup my data. 1500 is the max budget, I don't really necessarily have to spend all of it I just mentioned just so the the suggester knows the limit. Since I will get the GTX 670 (PCI 3.0) I think I should go with Ivy because sandy will step it back to PCI 2.0, right? Also I am considering this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107
as an alternative case because it has better airflow and simpler look. Gnite btw. its morning here tho :p

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

*Unigine Heaven benchmark is greatly optimized for Nvidia cards, a fair benchmark that runs great in AMD and Nvidia cards is 3Dmark11 or games like Crysis 2 and Metro 2033

*That's an EXCELLENT case

*Dude.... nobody uses DVDs as backup anymore, get a portable 1TB HDD to keep your data.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

*lol, gaming on 3 monitors is the BEST thing a gamer can do.

*I have never experienced microstuttering, maybe because i have 4 GPUs :lol:

jtenorj

Distinguished
I echo your suggestion of an external backup HDD, but a dvd burner is a minimum
requirement to install some software(the extra recording functionality over a dvd player
is worth the tiny increase in price, imho). Perhaps you are one of those people that are
naturally immune to the effects of micro stuttering(it bothers some more than others for
unknown reasons). The preferred way to render in a multi gpu setup is afr(alternate
frame rendering) versus sfr(split frame rendering). With 2 gpus, each one does every
other frame(or metered top/bottom split). On 3 gpus, its every third frame(or metered 3

(wall of text wedge...)

way vertical split of the screen). For 4 gpus, its sfr of afr(2 gpus handle the top and bottom
of even frames, while the other 2 handle the top and bottom of odd frames). A 4 gpu
setup gives you the highest chance of micro stuttering since the driver has to attempt to
intelligently split up the work load top and bottom between paired gpus. A 3 gpu setup
at least has the potential to smooth things out by acting like triple buffering(say 3 OCed
hd7970s with vsync versus 2 gtx690s. Cheaper, and quite possibly faster/smoother). you
can use hacked drivers to throw in a cheap geforce for physx.