Please review my PC parts order

tlatch89

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Updated - Changed motherboard and added wireless card

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6d9Ybv

I'm an amazon prime user and will be purchasing all of these components through it. I have windows 8.1, 1080p 24inch monitor, logitech mouse, keyboard, and speakers already. I'll probably purchase an xbox one or ps4 controller to go along with it.

This is my first time building a pc. I have knowledge in repairing and upgrading laptops/phones so I don't think I'll have a problem assembling it. I'm a Macintosh (Macbook Pro) and iOS (iPhone 5) user, but I do like to game and don't mind using windows on my home computer. Plus the Mac Pro is ridiculously expensive. My main target for this computer is medium-heavy adobe creative suite use, web and app developing programs, multi-tab browsing + developing in browser, minor-medium video editing, and a good gaming experience at 1080p.

AMD refresh 8 core CPU - Good mid-range CPU, is the stock cooler ok?

MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard - 4 slot ram, good brand?

Corsair 16GB Ram - Good enough for now with option to upgrade.

Crucial 2.5 128gb SSD - I have one of these in my macbook alongside a seagate hybrid drive, temporary files, OS, and many applications are only using about 40GB. I will not put any games on the SSD.

Seagate 3.5 1TB 7200rpm SSHD - I have the smaller version of this in my laptop and it's almost as fast as the SSD listed above, this is where I will put movies, pics, music, and GAMES.

MSI R9 270X 4GB - Mid range gaming card, high vram for the 4k 24inch monitor I might buy in the future and run dual monitors.

Bitfenix Mini Case - This thing is badass.

Corsair 600W PSU - I figure this is good enough for the 8 core processor and graphics card?

Any recommendations? I plan to place this order after thanksgiving hoping I can score a deal. Thanks!

Solution
Well, i am an AMD fan boy so dont listen to the guys that tell you to get something from Intel :D. Stick with this but you are overpaying on that case, no matter how beautiful it is. You can get 8 GB ram instead of 16, buy a Hyper 212 cooler and a M5A99FX Evo motherboard to overclock the CPU. You can also drop the SSD and get a r9 280/X video card and also a better PSU from XFX or Seasonic ( If you are going to overclock )

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Awesome, another AMD fan! For price/performance this is a pretty good build. The good thing about the FX processors is they give good performance for the dollar. Go for the 8350, and yes, a 990FX board is essential. The nicest one you can afford. I like Gigabyte for boards and MSI. For a little over $135, the GA-990FX UD3 is a nice board. Overclocks good if you ever want to do that. The Evo is good too from ASUS. I agree with RAM. Get 8 GB, and yes, get the better graphics card. The hybrid drives are really good. Almost as fast as an SSD on boot and cheaper for more storage. For a case, NZXT Source 210. Nice case for a good price.

tlatch89

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for the replies!

I looked into the 990FX motherboard, but I don't think it will fit in this case? On the compatibility list there isn't much to choose from. However, the gigabyte board I selected was only SATA 2, which I think would significantly slow down the SSD boot/applications. It also only allowed for 1333mhz ram. I chose a different option which is an MSI that has SATA 3, SATA 6, and takes 1600mhz ram. I also added a wireless card that seems pretty reliable. The total is still within my range at $960.00.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6d9Ybv

This motherboard holds a max of 16GB 1600mhz ram and I think that will be OK as far as my needs go. I think it has to be a Mini-ATX motherboard because the case is small.

I would still like to get 16GB ram for photo/video editing, developing, and multitasking.

I like the application snappiness of the SSD vs. the platters. I'll stick with the current 128GB SSD (Boot/App) + 1TB Hybrid (Entertainment) setup.

I checked out the r9 280x and it is super nice. But it's also super expensive haha. Is the r9 270x @ 4gb really that bad? As long as games look and perform better than ps4 and xbone I'll survive. (1080p)

Estimated wattage is currently at 378W. I have a 600W PSU selected and was wondering if I should go smaller?

Also, the 8320e processor... I did some research and the 8350 is much more powerful and also has a good price, but I won't be able to even use the 4ghz with the Mini-ATX board right? So I figure the newer 8320e processor will perform nearly as well without overclocking. So I guess the choice is non-overclocked 8320e or 8350?

Overall I'm looking for a PC that packs a punch in a small package. Granted this case is more of a medium sized computer. I'm not as worried about insane gaming performance as I am concerned about being able to do my job quickly and efficiently which includes: web/app development, photo editing, minor video editing, multitasking.

Gaming is clearly of concern as well otherwise this computer could probably cost $200-$300 less. I play TF2, SC2, LOL on my intel 2 core/nvidia macbook pro at 900p and low-medium settings at around 30FPS in windows. So I figure this is going to be a huge jump and I'll be satisfied enough.

Do I need to buy anything else? I have a mini tool set, I'm assuming the case comes with enough screws? If you guys could give me some additional input on the new mini motherboard I chose and possibly comment what's listed above I would appreciate it. I'm assuming I'll get power output that's somewhere between an i3 and an i5, but I'll have 8 cores instead of 2 with per core performance under the i5.

I built one based on you guys recommendations. This one would clearly be better for gaming, but it's more expensive and I'm missing the SSD & 16GB Ram for daily tasks. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/btnhGX

Thanks again for the assistance!

I was thinking the same as you did. Oh, i need 16 GB, SSD fast boot, Multitasking, omg i have no more money... etc. But i got over it and bought 8350,212,M5A99FX PRO,8 GB 2133,HDD,CASE,XFX PSU. And this meets everything i am doing. I edit, i render, i game and i do a lot of multitasking. I would go for the second rig. It looks nice. But maybe you can change the motherboard to M5A99FX Evo ( if you are not going to do SLI/CF) or to M5A99FX Pro. Both from Asus. And the case to 200R. Otherwise if you WANT that much the 1st rig then you can go with it, but you wont be able to overclock and sli/cf.

Solution