Please select a proper boot device : issue after holding down the power button

shaunymb

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
Hi there,

I have a custom PC which I have built myself and has worked fine up until now. I had to hold down the power button, as it froze, I tried to restart and the black screen saying "select a proper boot device or......." Shows.

I did all of the usual stuff like making sure the boot order is right, changing the SATA cables and nothing works. I tried to boot from another drive with a different OS and it is fine. So I'm guessing when I held down the power button, something has corrupted Windows.

I have tested the drive and it is detected in the bios and the files are all accessible when it's connected to another computer.

How am I going to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Greatly appreciated

Shaun

Solution

Ouch.
It does sound like your startup files or master boot record were damaged. You'll need an installation disk for your particular OS in order to repair/replace them. I've noticed this scenario is quite common for later versions of Windows - especially when installed on SSDs.
Fortunately, you can use ANY copy of installation disks - as long as they match the version of your OS. So you can borrow it or even download and burn it to CD or USB, and it'll repair your computer.
Assuming this is, indeed, the problem.

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016

Ouch.
It does sound like your startup files or master boot record were damaged. You'll need an installation disk for your particular OS in order to repair/replace them. I've noticed this scenario is quite common for later versions of Windows - especially when installed on SSDs.
Fortunately, you can use ANY copy of installation disks - as long as they match the version of your OS. So you can borrow it or even download and burn it to CD or USB, and it'll repair your computer.
Assuming this is, indeed, the problem.

Solution